PDA

View Full Version : movie poster fun

Dhaffner
04-13-2009, 11:31 PM
I've been playing with the idea of doing some movie posters....started with an old favorite...Creature From the Black Lagoon.
Need to tweak the original image to get some items to look right (like the creature's head)...but it's coming along.
This one is about 13" x 20".

AWoodsmith
04-13-2009, 11:43 PM
I've been playing with the idea of doing some movie posters....started with an old favorite...Creature From the Black Lagoon.
Need to tweak the original image to get some items to look right (like the creature's head)...but it's coming along.
This one is about 13" x 20".

Pretty cool, what material is that?

Dhaffner
04-14-2009, 12:24 AM
The ever popular poplar.

johnbryantjr
04-14-2009, 01:39 AM
you should do jaws
or

usd5000000
04-14-2009, 12:10 PM
I was going to do postage stamps if I ever got around to it. Has anyone done stamps?

RobertP
04-14-2009, 12:40 PM
That is really cool! Right up my alley. Have you done any other movie related items?

Dhaffner
04-14-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm working on a few now. I'm about 40 minutes into the second "version" of this Creature poster....I did a ton of work on the image to make certain I don't lose things like the creature's head...and the girl's hair...and making the images at the bottom actually look correct. I'll post a pic when it's done.

It's been a real learning experience to do a carve like this....I was able to go back to the original photo and see what caused what things to happen in the final product. If you want to learn a great deal about how a photo carves...blow it up to this size and carve it...invaluable.

On to Star Wars and Indiana Jones!

AWoodsmith
04-14-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm working on a few now. I'm about 40 minutes into the second "version" of this Creature poster....I did a ton of work on the image to make certain I don't lose things like the creature's head...and the girl's hair...and making the images at the bottom actually look correct. I'll post a pic when it's done.

It's been a real learning experience to do a carve like this....I was able to go back to the original photo and see what caused what things to happen in the final product. If you want to learn a great deal about how a photo carves...blow it up to this size and carve it...invaluable.

On to Star Wars and Indiana Jones!

Cool deal, and I love Poplar...

LittleRedWoodshop
04-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Doug, glad to see you are still around. That has to be one of the coolest things that I have seen in a while. Nicely done.

P.S. I haven't talked to you since the move, hope things are going well with you.

Dhaffner
04-15-2009, 09:16 AM
Hey Jason!
The move was a little rough....and we spent all winter working on the house. I just got the shop set up about 3 weeks ago and feel like I've been playing catch up.
I'll give you a call...
Doug

Dhaffner
04-15-2009, 10:33 PM
Ok...here is version 2. Looks like most of the details are there this time. I'm really thrilled that this is even possible. My plan is to paint it to look like faux bronze....I'll throw up a photo when it's done.

I love this machine.

earlyrider
04-15-2009, 10:42 PM
I love the poster carve. Brings back fond memories of saturday mornings watching the movies after Sky King and Roy Rodgers. I'm also impressed with the ability to throw up pictures--- whenever I regurgitate anything, its hardly worth a photo!:mrgreen:
Ron

RobertP
04-15-2009, 11:05 PM
that really turned out nice, cant wait to see it painted.

mtylerfl
04-16-2009, 12:51 AM
What a great idea! Can't wait to see it after the "bronzing"!!

I have a ton of old sheet music dating back to the early 1900's. Was thinking awhile back of doing some of the cover illustrations as relief carvings. You're starting to inspire me to revisit that idea again!

mtylerfl
04-16-2009, 12:54 AM
I was going to do postage stamps if I ever got around to it. Has anyone done stamps?

Yes, someone did a storage cabinet for a stamp collection (I think that's what it was for) with enlarged postage stamp replicas. I don't recall if it was posted here, or if it was in the CarveWright Customer Gallery.

Pratyeka
04-16-2009, 06:19 AM
Ok...here is version 2. Looks like most of the details are there this time. I'm really thrilled that this is even possible. My plan is to paint it to look like faux bronze....I'll throw up a photo when it's done.

I love this machine.

Excellent work! How did you raise the dark areas of the picture without raising the light areas? Which editing tool or effect?

Dhaffner
04-16-2009, 08:51 AM
You could do it in the Pattern editor....but since I have photoshop, I like to start there. I created paths around the areas that needed to be "raised", then reduced the brightness on the background....for special spots (eyebrows, eyes, dark portions of hair) I made a path around those areas, inverted them (like a photo negative) then brightened those areas. The end result is an image that makes no sense and looks odd, but carves great.

Dhaffner
04-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Coming soon.....

Ike
04-16-2009, 12:09 PM
What a neat and fun project!

Ike

bizbiki
04-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Would make a great lithograph for a media room entrance

mtylerfl
04-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Would make a great lithograph for a media room entrance

...or a nice lithophane;)

Dhaffner
04-19-2009, 10:01 PM
Here it is with some bronze and copper paint....

geekviking
04-19-2009, 11:27 PM
That came out awesome! Can't wait to see the Star Wars... :cool:

Ike
04-20-2009, 12:04 AM
That is awesome!! I also love your new avatar geekviking!

Ike

johnbryantjr
04-20-2009, 12:14 AM
along the same lines
i want to make the poster for "the man with the golden gun"

geekviking
04-20-2009, 12:57 AM
Thanks Ike!

Good idea John, any of the various 007 movie posters would work nicely...
Gotta love James Bond :)

mtylerfl
04-20-2009, 07:46 AM

I like the copper and bronze! What paints did you use? (brand)

Dhaffner
04-20-2009, 08:53 AM
Paints...good question.
I'll check when I get home and post. I know I picked them up at Micheal's (a craft store in our area).
There were 3 colors...Bronze, Copper and then an off-brand "bronze" that was actually lighter than the other two (I used for highlights).

My technique was to prime the whole thing with black primer, then used the sealer/base coat recommended with the metalic paint, then two coats of the bronze...then highlighted with a copper/bronze mix...then the really light bronze as a top highlight color.

Pratyeka
04-20-2009, 02:25 PM
You could do it in the Pattern editor....but since I have photoshop, I like to start there. I created paths around the areas that needed to be "raised", then reduced the brightness on the background....for special spots (eyebrows, eyes, dark portions of hair) I made a path around those areas, inverted them (like a photo negative) then brightened those areas. The end result is an image that makes no sense and looks odd, but carves great.

Bit late for my reply, but thanks for the tip. I use photoshop also but haven't tried this technique yet.

Dhaffner
04-20-2009, 05:33 PM
My other tip on that is that you need to remember to try to scale the image and then bring it in as close as you can to the size you want it to be in the carve...for instance, the default import size on my image was originally 6" x 9"....I resaved the image and brought it in at 14" x 20"...which retained much more detail. when scaled to that size on the project....if any of that makes sense.

geekviking
04-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Makes perfect sense, no "stretching" of the image that way, thanks for the tips! :cool:

LittleRedWoodshop
04-26-2009, 05:29 AM
LOve the way that turned out....

Dhaffner
04-26-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm still working on the photos/art for Indy and Star Wars, but here's the first test carve of "Forbidden Planet"....I seem to have a thing for monsters and robots carrying beautiful women.

RobertP
04-26-2009, 01:54 PM
You should love this then....

http://www.the-robotman.com/

Carve Daddy
04-26-2009, 08:42 PM
this has inspired me to make one of my all time favorites : Planet of the Apes...the ending "damn you all" scene :)
...will post some pics after finishing

Dhaffner
05-05-2009, 12:40 AM
I thought it would be fun to paint one of the carved movie posters like the original....
Here's my "Forbidden Planet". The paints are acrylic...and I used "rub-on" silver for the border. It's about 14" x 18".

mtylerfl
05-05-2009, 07:12 AM
I thought it would be fun to paint one of the carved movie posters like the original....
Here's my "Forbidden Planet". The paints are acrylic...and I used "rub-on" silver for the border. It's about 14" x 18".

Outstanding paint job! This is a fun thread to follow!

Marketing Dept.
05-05-2009, 10:41 AM

With talent like yours, I am sure it is fun. If you had talent like mine, it would just be annoying! haha

LittleRedWoodshop
05-07-2009, 04:29 AM
That paint job is just over the top kewl..... you my friend have set the bar - high.

Gean
05-07-2009, 07:21 AM
WOW!! I just got my machine and have only done a few simple carves. You have shown me what intricate things can be done. WAYYY beyond me at this point. Thanks for sharing.

rickyz
05-07-2009, 08:54 AM
awesome job!!!!! of course this now adds another thing I want to try on my carvewright. so many projects, so little time. Did you hand paint or airbrush?

RayTrek
05-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Outstanding
I have really have enjoyed this thread Thanks!
Ray

hess
05-07-2009, 10:19 AM
brings back some good memories, well at lest younger ones.

Hess

PCW
05-07-2009, 10:46 AM
The caption reads right [AMAZING!]