PDA

View Full Version : My qc

newcarver
04-13-2009, 04:56 PM
Just ordered the qc wrench and took my qc off to clean and possibly balance it. It was different from the pictures in posts about balancing. Such as there is no hole for the spring to seat into. Anyone know how many versions of the qc there are? After a good cleaning and lubrication, I put it back together, I have yet to see the bit seat ALL the way. I have been carving with this qc for 3yrs now,The most I have had it seat is about halfway. Always wondered about it, but have had no issues, other than an unexplainable bad carve, real rough looking. Thinking the seating of the bits would have caused that. Hate to have a bit come flying out.

Pratyeka
04-13-2009, 05:25 PM
I would hold off doing any carving with that QC chuck until it is examined closely. Can you post pics?

newcarver
04-13-2009, 05:38 PM
There has never been a click when it seats or when cocked, I have always had to hold the plastic sleeve up while loading a bit. After furthe inspection also I see the set screw will just not seat all the way down, roughly halfway down. Bit won't pull out, but not much holding it there either. As I stated also, I have been using this for 3yrs now.

Pratyeka
04-13-2009, 08:38 PM
There has never been a click when it seats or when cocked, I have always had to hold the plastic sleeve up while loading a bit. After furthe inspection also I see the set screw will just not seat all the way down, roughly halfway down. Bit won't pull out, but not much holding it there either. As I stated also, I have been using this for 3yrs now.

From what you describe, it sounds like the outer sleeve is tighter than normal and reducing the movement of the 3 steel balls. Also it could be that the missing hole for the spring results in more compression, and blocking the outer sleeve before it is fully cocked.

In any case, and that's just my opinion, your QC chuck is way out of specs.;) How many hours on that chuck?

mtylerfl
04-13-2009, 09:40 PM
...Always wondered about it, but have had no issues, other than an unexplainable bad carve, real rough looking. Thinking the seating of the bits would have caused that...

Hello,

I think that there certainly is an explanation for the rough carves you said you've experienced over the last 3 years - you already explained it yourself, if the bit adaptor is not seating properly it's no mystery that you'll get a rough carve. It is fortunate that you have not had "worse things" happen.

If the adaptors were not seating properly, I would have obtained a new QC immediately. You may want to contact Tech Support and order a new QC to replace your existing one.;)

Please keep us posted on how you make out. I'm hoping you can say goodbye to the "rough carves" after the QC is replaced.

Rick P
04-14-2009, 01:35 AM
I'm not sure what "rough carves" looks like...I attached a pic of a fireman plaque I just carved in maple using Optimum setting. It came out fairly good, but not completely clean. It is about 8" x 9".

I'm using a modified (more balanced) QC per the Pratyeka modification. Changing to a RC Eliminator might be in my future. I still have a heckuva time trying to get the 1/8" Cutting Bit out of the QC and there is still some slight vibrations I don't like, but it is better than the standard QC.

newcarver
04-14-2009, 05:41 AM
From what you describe, it sounds like the outer sleeve is tighter than normal and reducing the movement of the 3 steel balls. Also it could be that the missing hole for the spring results in more compression, and blocking the outer sleeve before it is fully cocked.

In any case, and that's just my opinion, your QC chuck is way out of specs.;) How many hours on that chuck?

I would say by now around 350 to 400 hours on this chuck