PDA

View Full Version : remove the plastic sleeve permanently

bdehoyos
04-09-2009, 02:49 PM
just a question how namy pepole have remove the QC plastic sleeve permanently? and what results did it give you?

Steven Alford
04-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Plastic sleeve????????

My doctor told me if I permanently removed the plastic sleeve, she would get pregnant!!

HelpBot3000
04-09-2009, 03:02 PM
I don't think that was the "bits" he had in mind. lol

bdehoyos
04-09-2009, 03:04 PM
LOL good one I guess I should be more specific,

The QC has an outer plastic sleeve, now some users have experimented with modifications to the QC, and some have removed it permanently.

This allows easy cleaning on bit changes and also let you actually see how well the bit adapter is sated on the QC. And I’m considering taking the same action that why I ask.

BDH

chebytrk
04-09-2009, 03:23 PM
I've been asking the same question lately and haven't really gotten a response. Hope someone can shed some light on this issue.

bdehoyos
04-09-2009, 03:30 PM
the only drawback I see to this, is if for whatever reason one on the screws on the bit adapters get loose while carving it will rocket at a vary high velocity, the plastic cover prevents this from happening,

and the CQ itself gets very hot, the plastic covering protects your fingers at bit change time, but this can be overcome with gloves

blantz
04-09-2009, 03:48 PM
It is my understanding that the plastic cap is spring loaded. The downward pressure from the spring in the cap forces the steel balls into the tapered bit adapter thus locking the bit into the collet. That is what I see from the drawing in the care and maintenance of the QC.

bdehoyos
04-09-2009, 03:53 PM
nop the plastic is an external layer see this document :

http://www.cowcorners.com/QC%20CHUCK.pdf

it shows the QC with out it on page 3

roughcut
04-09-2009, 04:39 PM
I think it is a lot harder to **** the QC with out the bigger flare on the sleeve. Some body posted that he had cut the bottom half of the sleeve off. I guess if I was going to do it that is what I would do . But I don't think overall it helps that much in cleaning or anything else. a mirrow and a little pick is what I use plus a good blast of air.My computer won't let me use the word **** "kok"