PDA

View Full Version : carving sled questions and set up

jcaravella
04-09-2009, 01:34 PM
I have made a sled that measures 36"L x 5.5"W. I have made the sled to have 4" on Left and right on Length. My blank to be carved is 27"L x 4"W.

I made my project to include the dimensions of the sled and centered my blank to be carved.

When in the CW the machine measures the board and want me to scale to length of 28" or something.

So, do I set my project up including the sled dimension? (Thats what i thought i was supposed to do or set it up with my Blank to be carved dimensions?

Hope that made sense.

DocWheeler
04-09-2009, 02:15 PM
jcaravella,

This is one of the main reasons that I have my virtual board smaller than what I put in the machine. If the machine measures the sled/board even a smidgen smaller than you had in Designer,you get into the dreaded "Scale to size".

If possible, reduce the board size in Designer (but only if it does not change your design). If you can not do that, pad your sled a little with tape if you only need a little width or length.

Also, if you know that your sled is at least 7" longer than your carve, you can tell it NO when asked to "stay under rollers"

liquidguitars
04-09-2009, 03:08 PM
jcaravella,

lots of ways setting up a sled here is how i do it.

For wood part that is 27 x 4 in Designer I make the project board 37"x 5.50" Build your sled the same size but add a extra 1/4" to the overall size. " this is to zero out the board sensor in "y" as to LHR. after the Carvewright measures your sled the firmware will ask you a few questions.

at the prompt

press 2 "keep under rollers?"
press 1 " keep the same"
press 3 "place on corner"
press 2 "cut to size no"

try to layout all your parts in designer including the 4" block on the ends, side rails and include 1" extra
to screw down the board into the sled out of the cutting zone.

just make sure that the milled part will not move around when cutting not even a little.

MPC showing sled layout for a 27"x4" part Typ.

LG

jcaravella
04-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Hah LG not many things that shape except for, as you probably guessed, guitar neck blanks! :-) I did take the advice you had on your site and , hope you dont mind, copied how you built your sled. except mine is 36 not 37. is that a big deal?

My other question to you would be having the CW machine route the truss rod channel and curvature of the headstock on the face of the neck. I expect that everything has to be EXACTLY squared and centered... or do you find it easier to just route the truss rod and headstock curve to the fretboard outside the CW environment?

If you use the CW for both sides of the neck, are there any tricks or advice or things to watch for you would be kind enough to share?

Would save so much time and give me the consistancy that takes forever hand carving and sanding my necks.

Thanks!

jcaravella
04-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Doc thanks for the input. Saying no did the trick!

pine acres woodshop
04-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Jcaravella there's pleasure in hand carving those guitar necks, That's what I enjoy. I can carve a neck faster than the CC. I don't worry about consistency because each guitar is different. But if you want to do it with the machine LG is your man he knows all the cords. I only use the CC for carving electric guitar bodies, and my logo on the headstock. It's nice to know there are more guitar builders on here.

Mark

Digitalwoodshop
04-09-2009, 07:28 PM
I always set up my projects with a fake 4 inch box drawn on the project in designer. Remember the right box in designer goes into the machine first.

Then I use "Place on End" then I have 4 inches always under the rollers.

I never use center. I base all my projects off of the 4 inch block.... I have hundreds of the blocks I have cut from the projects saved. Some I make 3 inch Bear's other's I make Christmas Signs. I have a Quilt Show in July and I will cut Quilt signs... Little old ladies love a quirky quilt sign....

AL

liquidguitars
04-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Al,

Not sure if this is a issue with you or not but with the new firmware I have to "place on corner" and not "Place on End" like I used to. I do this buy making my sled 1/4 wider "you can add a little dead wood " maxing out the y just about the same thing as it's the 3x4x5.

Cool sample 2 I like the way you added the feed side arrow. As long as you get your sled pointed in the right direction your 90% finished.

LG

liquidguitars
04-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Hah LG not many things that shape except for, as you probably guessed, guitar neck blanks! I did take the advice you had on your site and , hope you dont mind, copied how you built your sled. except mine is 36 not 37. is that a big deal?

Yea I did, but i am paranoid :) Go for 37" if it's a fender neck. I know I keep making them longer :)

LG