PDA

View Full Version : JIG-A-LOO lubricant

Rick P
04-07-2009, 04:05 PM
There was a thread on using graphite on and in the QC ... I won't get graphite near my CW...too messy for me...I would get it all over, but that's me...BUT, has anyone had experience with a new (to USA) lubricant called Jig-A-Loo??

http://www.jigaloo.com/us/e_products_jigaloo.php

It has been used in Canada for many years ...

cnsranch
04-07-2009, 04:17 PM
The MSDS shows the ingredients:

METHYLENE CHLORIDE 30-60%

PERCHLOROETHYLENE 10-30%
(TETRACHLOROETHYLENE)

Some real smart guy will tell us wassup (right, Jeff?)

HelpBot3000
04-07-2009, 04:22 PM
listening...curious....Jeff?

atauer
04-07-2009, 04:26 PM
METHYLENE CHLORIDE is a solvent.

TETRACHLOROETHYLENE is primarily used as a dry cleaning agent.

Not quite sure of how it is a lubricant...

atauer
04-07-2009, 04:28 PM
This is what Wikipedia says about the stuff:

ig-A-Loo is a silicone-based lubricant and water-repellent spray. It doesn't stain or smell after application, and can be used on wood, metal, glass, rubber, leather, fabrics and most plastics. It has been used in the commercial and industrial sectors in Canada since 1958, and was launched in 1998 to the Canadian mass retail market, and globally in 2007.

Jig-A-Loo contains no oil, grease, wax, petroleum distillates or detergent.

[edit] Uses

Typical uses for Jig-A-Loo include:

* Lubricating door hinges, beds and shower curtains to eliminate squeaks
* Loosening rusty nuts and screws
* Preventing rust on gardening tools, aluminium window frames and plumbing materials
* Shining leaves of artificial house plants
* Lubricating candle holders prior to burning to make wax removal easier
* Preventing moving parts from freezing
* Shining and protecting mag wheels and rubber seals
* Cleaning and protecting leather goods, such as cowboy or Ugg boots
* Repelling water on tent, shoes, booth, backpacks and jackets

WARNING: Do not use Jig-A-Loo to lubricate twisty puzzles such as the Rubik's cube, for it will melt the plastic inside and ruin your puzzle.

Digitalwoodshop
04-07-2009, 07:28 PM
I haven't used chemicals like this since I was in the Navy in the 70's and 80's, commonly used every day in my maintenance of Electronic and Mechanical Equipment.... The GOOD stuff we would say... Never again....

From the endorsers of Agent Orange..... Heck, that stuff won't hurt you.....

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65:........................... THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT IS MADE IN ORDER TO COMPLY WITH THE CALIFORNIA SAFE DRINKING WATER AND TOXIC ENFORCEMENT ACT OF 1986: .
WARNING: THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS A CHEMICAL KNOWN TO THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA
TO CAUSE CANCER, BIRTH DEFECTS OR OTHER REPRODUCTIVE HARM. .
CAS #: CHEMICAL NAME: .
*127-18-4 TETRACHLOROETHYLENE .
*75-09-2 METHYLENE CHLORIDE (DICHLOROMETHANE)

Something needs to dissolve the silicone so it will spray then evaporate off leaving just the silicon.

I wonder what the MSDS on Chain Lube looks like? and 3 in one oil....

AL

Pratyeka
04-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Heck! I only use pig fat as lubricant on my flex shaft, gives off a nice smell of bacon after a few hours...;)

Digitalwoodshop
04-07-2009, 07:52 PM
OK... In all fairness.....

Here is our FAVORITE Gunk Chain Lube with Moly....

Chemical Name CAS No. % Range
Carbon dioxide 124-38-9 1.0 - 5.0
Ethylene/Propylene Co-Polymer 25190-87-8 1.0 - 5.0
Molybdenum Disulfide 1317-33-5 0.1 - 1.0
Naphthenic Petroleum Distillate 64742525 20.0 - 30.0
Petroleum Oil 64742-65-0 7.0 - 13.0
Solvent-Refined Heavy Paraffinic 64741-88-4 0.1 - 1.0
Tetrachloroethylene 127-18-4 40.0 - 70.0
Zinc Compound 19210-06-1 0.1 - 1.0

And my favorite 3 in 1 oil....

Ingredient CAS # Weight Percent
Severely Hydrotreated or Solvent-Refined Heavy Paraffinic Oil
64742-54-7 64741-88-4 >96
Non-Hazardous Ingredients Proprietary <4

AL

PCW
04-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Heck! I only use pig fat as lubricant on my flex shaft, gives off a nice smell of bacon after a few hours...;)

That' to funny!!!

PCW
04-07-2009, 08:17 PM
[QUOTE=atauer;87106]WARNING: Do not use Jig-A-Loo to lubricate twisty puzzles such as the Rubik's cube, for it will melt the plastic inside and ruin your puzzle.

Alex

This sound like some pretty good stuff. Love the warning I thought you where kidding about the that. Had to check it out for myself. Heck of thing to have to disclose.

Digitalwoodshop
04-07-2009, 08:52 PM
It would most likely melt or fog the top clear plastic cover.....

How would I know that......

Years ago (1977) when I was in Japan on a Ship, I would design electronic projects for fun. My first was a 16 LED counter that had the ability to go from the left to right and return over and over... I designed the circuit board with the LED's in a half moon shape and wanted it as a electronic pendulum for a clock.

I used the photo dark room on the ship to expose my photo sensitive circuit board with a black and clear negative of sheet film made from my hand drawn traces.

In my excitement being my first.... The kit had a aluminum tray and a plastic tray.... I had read the directions and when it came time to do the real board I went from memory..... I poured the Circuit Board Developer, some chemical called Xenon or something like that... A SOLVENT like the NASTY Tri Clor Family..... SO I place the circuit board on the plastic tray and I am sloshing it around in the dim light of the dark room. The Ship was at sea off the coast of Japan so I had some help with the sloshing.... It looks like the developer is turning into honey.... No..... Can't be....... Then the bottom of the tray drops out into my lap...... The Solvent dissolved the plastic tray..... I turn on the lights and read the directions.... Solvent into the METAL Tray and Copper Eating Ferric Chloride in the PLASTIC tray.....

That was a VERY LONG month waiting for the new kit to come from San Francisco.... In the days before INTERNET ordering.... Snail Mail in BOTH Directions......

I saw the board the other day in the basement..... Lessons learned.... Read the Directions.....

This has been an off topic Sea Story from your friends at Pocono Digital Woodshop.

AL

Rick P
04-07-2009, 11:04 PM
I don't think Jig-A-Loo has any silicone in it ... that would show up on the MSDS as polysiloxane ... ???