PDA

View Full Version : Help with scanning

jcaravella
04-07-2009, 02:04 PM
So i set up the scanning sled to CW specs, although it is 48" instead of 36" and put a piece on the sled nice and straight. The piece measures approx 27" by 4" and is 3/4" tall (a guitar neck to be precise).

I set up my starting points without a hitch but the sled always moves to the left and always from the left most point of my demensions. I have tried my starting point from top left to bottom right and from top right to bottom left.

I do get a neg number when starting from top left to bottom right but it's only like -.14 something like that. In eiether case the sled moves away from the piece to be scanned. it always moves to the right and starts at the left most part of the piece to be scanned, looking at the control panel, no matter where i start the starting and end points.

Hope that made sense.

What am I doing wrong?

AskBud
04-07-2009, 03:47 PM
see if this video helps.
AskBud
http://www.carvebuddy.com/scanningvideo_how_it_works.html

jcaravella
04-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Fantastic! thank you... as many times... operator error! :-)

chebytrk
04-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Newbie here, so here goes......... I got my probe yesterday and registered it fine and it's ready to use. My question is after I build my scanning sled, my plan is to scan an old .22 rifle stock. What I'd like to do is once it's scanned is to put some type of design on the original stock. How do I take on that challenge? Do I have to make sure that the rifle stock is in the exact same place on the sled. I'm really lost here on how to take on this challenge, but I'm sure it can be done. Just need some of the great "Obie Wons" out there to give a helping hand. Thanks.....

AskBud
04-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Newbie here, so here goes......... I got my probe yesterday and registered it fine and it's ready to use. My question is after I build my scanning sled, my plan is to scan an old .22 rifle stock. What I'd like to do is once it's scanned is to put some type of design on the original stock. How do I take on that challenge? Do I have to make sure that the rifle stock is in the exact same place on the sled. I'm really lost here on how to take on this challenge, but I'm sure it can be done. Just need some of the great "Obie Wons" out there to give a helping hand. Thanks.....

I'm guessing on what you want to do.
I presume that you wish to make a new stock and place a design in or upon that new stock.
You only need to scan the stock once to get that "pattern".
Next you begin your design project.
Go to this link on Layering. It should help you understand the process.
AskBud
http://carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Dec08.pdf

If you are trying to place a carve on the original stock, there is no need for a scan. Just center the stock on a Carving sled and design your cut within the "Centered Stock Area". I suggest that you use a practice board before you attempt the carve in the original stock.
AskBud

chebytrk
04-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Thank you sir! Yes, I'm going to try and put the design on the original stock. I guess I'll have to read up on setting up to carve on a "centered stock area". Perhaps after I see the .pdf, it'll help me out on that. Thanks again. Really excited on getting this started.

AskBud
04-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Thank you sir! Yes, I'm going to try and put the design on the original stock. I guess I'll have to read up on setting up to carve on a "centered stock area". Perhaps after I see the .pdf, it'll help me out on that. Thanks again. Really excited on getting this started.

Do a lot of practice, before you go to the real stock. Shape your practice piece the same as the area where you want to carve.
AskBud