PDA

View Full Version : Wood selection, quality, finishing

CaptainKirk
04-07-2009, 01:01 PM
A couple of questions:

Any recommendations for best type of wood for getting the best quality?

I'm new to the machine and have some award plaque projects to do and have tried raster text on oak. The project board is 7.5 x 4.5. The detail gets destroyed and there is not a real clean cut. Will be trying bit optimization next.

Is there a good way to make the finish clean of "feathering" or burring if there is fine detail? I see real nice looking finish on projects posted in the galleries, but this first try is a far cry from that kind of result.

thanks

Kenm810
04-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Hi Cap,

Welcome to the CW Forum

To prevent some of the Chip out on you text or graphic add a little "Draft"
to your project, It's a life saver sometimes

Deolman
04-07-2009, 01:51 PM
CaptainKirk, The size you have for your wood may be too short and cause some problems for you. I urge you to go here:

http://www.carvewright.com/cms/tips-and-tricks

and download all of the tips and tricks. It will help you to understand why your board needs to be 7" longer than your virtual board in designer. You might also go here:

http://www.carvewright.com/cms/downloads

and download the manuals that have been made available since your Carvewright was packed for shipment.

CaptainKirk
04-07-2009, 07:47 PM
I've read the tips and tricks, and have made sure the board is at least 7" longer than the project...

One thing I've noticed is that carving along the grain chips alot less than across it, but that's not avoidable...

Will try the draft idea...

How small can you get text with decent quality?
Is oak just more prone to chipping?

Woodpecker
04-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Today I discovered the left lower carving patterns left click then with a right click, the Bit Optimization option came up and as a result of just clicking on each pattern and using the best Quality bit optimization it has made a sugnificant difference in my 1.75" patterns on a Mah Jongg set which seems to be a hit with the Mah Jongg players. It has multiple patterns and various depth with one carve region. After several failures this Bit Optimizer seems to have solved my problem with quality on small patterns. I can only hope this helps.
Woodpecker