PDA

View Full Version : line in carving

wasacop75
04-06-2009, 08:23 PM
i just completed a carving that i have done two other times today but this one has a line in it.
What happened?????
there seems to be about a 1/32 difference in the levels of the wood.
I did not stop the machine at that area, nor was there a power surge of any
type.

I am so confused.....

Thanks.:confused:

Kenm810
04-06-2009, 08:32 PM
It's just a thought, but check to see if the carving bit is loose
or may have slipped a little in the bit adapter

Ike
04-06-2009, 08:35 PM
i just completed a carving that i have done two other times today but this one has a line in it.
What happened?????
there seems to be about a 1/32 difference in the levels of the wood.
I did not stop the machine at that area, nor was there a power surge of any
type.

I am so confused.....

Thanks.:confused:

Another thought how true was the board you were using? If it bowed or maybe the lumber yard planner is off?

Ike

wasacop75
04-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Bit was tight, the wood was good. I checked things out before I started this. This carving is a gift for a friend of the loml. I have done three trying to get just one perfect. either the wood is spotty or different colors, or the hanger in the back is not straight. this woman is going to drive me crazy.. and its a 2 hour carve for each one.

I need a beer.:-D

Ike
04-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Bit was tight, the wood was good. I checked things out before I started this. This carving is a gift for a friend of the loml. I have done three trying to get just one perfect. either the wood is spotty or different colors, or the hanger in the back is not straight. this woman is going to drive me crazy.. and its a 2 hour carve for each one.

The hanger? Are you talking about the fence? I did notice I had a screw come loose on the fence. I had that happen once and I can't remember why? Is the head cranking up and down ok? That is what coming to mind. My tie-rod came loose from it's connections. Then it started carving strange and caused a line.

I hope it is just a flook, and that is all it is?

Ike

Ike
04-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Oh oh make sure the brass roller still has the rubber O ring and check the inside fence is not loose.

Ike

wasacop75
04-06-2009, 09:00 PM
everything was tight and where it was suppose to be.
back to the drawing board tomorrow....:confused:

Ike
04-06-2009, 09:03 PM
everything was tight and where it was suppose to be.
back to the drawing board tomorrow....:confused:
Ok then it was a flook and tomorrow it will be fine. I would just for giggles reformat your flash card and reload your project.

Ike

wasacop75
04-06-2009, 09:18 PM
it was something...
oh well. maybe tomarrow will be different.
i have to do something. the loml is about to kill me...:(

PCW
04-06-2009, 09:21 PM

It sound to me like you both could use a cold one.

wasacop75
04-06-2009, 09:26 PM
me yes, she wont drink one. oh well... but i sure could use an ice cold one. i mean so cold that when opened ice crystals form.

PCW
04-06-2009, 10:27 PM
That my friend sound like winner. Tomorrow is another day and sometimes that all it takes to turn thing around.

Dan

837kenny
04-07-2009, 07:07 AM
maybe check the lower spindle bearing spacer

Digitalwoodshop
04-07-2009, 10:27 AM
OK.... 13 posts and I don't believe anyone had posted the most likely reason for the line in the artwork..... How about the line is about 4 inches from the end of the board and that is when the end of the board comes out from under the roller and lifts toward the bit slightly and causes a depth change. A Board being held FLAT to the table by 2 Rollers will carve FLAT... A Board only under ONE roller is at the mercy of the miss adjusted out feed table, and when the board droops and falls onto the out feed table after being released from the roller you get a line.

OR..... Check the 4 corner post bolts that hold the smooth vertical rails on the underside of the machine. I found a bolt laying in the bottom of Machine 3 with the vertical rail only being held by the top cover. They do get loose.....

OR.... A sawdust chunk in the Z Truck Cog Belt....

OR.... Like said above a loose bit in the holder....

OR..... The Flex Shaft cable getting snagged in the top cover slot on the up stroke... This usually causes a Z Stall. I have had that with a worn top hat bearing and flex.

OR.... Enough sawdust in the machine being built up on the board and the roller having to compress the sawdust to the point that it acts like a speed bump and raises the head AND Bit..... A loose Smooth vertical post bolt will allow the lifting easier. Check the bolts under the machine.

AL

atauer
04-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Dr. Al nails it again...

Just kidding, Al.

Everything you just quoted hit the nail right on the head. Those are most of the things that we always check during diagnosis. You haven't been lurking around our call center have you?

wasacop75
04-07-2009, 04:55 PM
I would go for the under one roller. I clean way too often I feel, that it was anything other than that.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to try and help.