PDA

View Full Version : Graphite in the QC

Rocky
04-06-2009, 03:35 PM
Has anyone ever tried to use graphite (like that use in lock mechanisms) in the QC to help it work better as far as lubrication is concerned?

want2b
04-06-2009, 05:03 PM
I haven't tried it but it sounds like a possiblity. Don't really know how warm the QC actually gets but it should be low temp. The only hangup might be dust sticking to it worse than the recommended but if you clean it every time? It might actually do a better job of keeping a residual layer on the parts. Be interesting what LHR's take is on it, would have thought it would have been one of the earliest tested but whho know's, so many to choose from.
Rick H.

eromran
04-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Has anyone ever tried to use graphite (like that use in lock mechanisms) in the QC to help it work better as far as lubrication is concerned?Graphite by its self would probally do all right but as many different spays and things we use other places(moist lubricants we use other places are wet) you would really have to be careful they did not mix or you would gum everything up.Locksmiths love people that try something like wd 40 then hear locksmiths use something slicker like graphite to free there locks up so they try that also.What a mess also humidity. All that being said i am sure there is probally some spray out there that has graphite in it and uses the spray as a carrying agent. I don't know just more thoughts.

Deolman
04-06-2009, 05:52 PM
I would hate to think of the consequences of graphite being spun all over my carving.

Rocky
04-06-2009, 06:47 PM
I would hate to think of the consequences of graphite being spun all over my carving.

Good point!

Rick P
04-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Cranes Cam Assembly Lube works well inside the QC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SQSfjKYBJc

Jeff_Birt
04-06-2009, 09:09 PM
The tapered mating surfaces of the QC should not be lubricated with anything that will build up. That is why a light oil is recommended. Anything that builds up on the mating surfaces will prevent the adapter from properly seating.

Icutone2
04-07-2009, 09:22 AM
I use Gunk DryLube "Spray" works for me also used on the Bit plate and the 4 vertical shafts. no sticking sawdust here!
Lee

Kenm810
04-07-2009, 09:34 AM
I've Used it and found that it works very well,
But I spray it on a foam brush, to wipe it just on the parts and posts
that I want to lubricate. I really don't spraying anything inside the machine,
even being careful I manage to get it in places it doesn't need to be or worse,
where it shouldn't be. :???: