PDA

View Full Version : Gold Leaf And Epoxy

eromran
04-06-2009, 06:57 AM
Does any body know-If i gold leaf something should i be OK to apply a two part epoxy over the top of it without any adverse reactions like raising the gold leaf back off the surface.

hess
04-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Does any body know-If i gold leaf something should i be OK to apply a two part epoxy over the top of it without any adverse reactions like raising the gold leaf back off the surface.
Sorry so late I find when using GL it seems to dull if anything is placed over it.

Did use some Auto paint Clear from PPG that would not react with it years ago

Hess

starman2
04-15-2009, 07:34 AM
Ive tried a bunch of different finishes over gold leaf and had the best result with a gloss acrylic enamel, but even that will definitely dull the gold leaf somewhat. The best results Ive had came from lac:-Dquering the piece first then applying the gold leaf afterwards. If the piece is going to be exposed to weather, this isnt going to be a good solution. In that case I would use a high gloss gold paint on VERY smooth sanded surfaces then apply a good outdoor finish over top. Make sure you use adequate ventilation with the gold paint as it is very powerfull stuff. Hope this helps.... its what works for me.