PDA

View Full Version : Quick trick for routine visual z-truck bearings

bfcg
04-05-2009, 02:41 PM
While cleaning my CW after a carve, I always check the z bearings for rotation as I'm sure most of you do. Sometimes it is not so easy to tell if the bearings are rotating for the full length of travel, so here is what I do;
on each bearing I put a dot with a sharpie. On the two right sided bearings I put a dot at 3 o'clock and on the two left sided bearings I put a dot at 9 o'clock. It is much easier to see the rotation that way. I cycle the truck up and down several times to make sure the dots land in the same place every time. If you do this, make sure you are watching to see the dots actually rotate because the bearings only make 1 full revolution from top to bottom.
I am pretty sure that if one or more of the bearings are siezed, it would be pretty difficult to move the z truck up and down, but what if the bearings are not completely locked up? thats when I think this tip comes in handy.

Kenm810
04-05-2009, 05:13 PM
bfcg, good one to remember

Your right on with your marker Tip,
it helped me recognize way I was getting
"Y and Z Axis Error Messages" -- from my Machine
The Lower Right Truck bearing was freezing up

bfcg
04-06-2009, 09:25 AM
That was the same bearing that froze on my machine. I was well taken care of by the CW people for that one.
Had a little bit of a scare on that the other day, but it just turned out to be the gearbox needed cleaning and lubing.