PDA

View Full Version : Dash panel for boat

DickB
04-04-2009, 05:57 PM
This is actually my first project and the impetus for getting the machine.

I’m working on a wood dash for my boat. Many performance boaters like anodized or powder-coated aluminum dashes, but I like wood. The dash sits in the center of the boat and as such the far gauges can be hard to read. Angled metal bezels are available, but I had the idea to incorporate the angle into the wood dash itself. I came up with the idea about a year ago, but could not come up with a good way to fabricate this using conventional tools. I came across the CarveWright and decided to go for it.

Attached are some pictures of the original dash plus my work in progress. I started with a pine draft version, using two pieces of ¾” material glued together. The final is being cut from 1-1/2” mahogany stock. I’m using a fixture on all four sides of the material to keep the stock under the rollers at all times. The holes for the switches are cut to the max 1” depth with the cutting bit. The back is routed about ½” to complete the hole. The holes for the gauges are cut at the proper angle with hole saws.

fwharris
04-04-2009, 06:01 PM
DickB,

For your first project I would say it is a keeper! Should make the other boat owners envious for sure.

PCW
04-04-2009, 06:09 PM
That is a big improvement from the original. Good Job

liquidguitars
04-04-2009, 06:22 PM
I like the dash nice job!

LG

Old Salt
04-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Great Job !
Good to see you make a one of a kind dash I'm sure you can show it with the pride knowing it is somthing you have the talent to build.

want2b
04-04-2009, 06:35 PM
You've added another dimension with adding the depth to the panel with to the angles. Totally awesome, can't wait to see what you come up with next.
Rick H

SteveEJ
04-04-2009, 06:52 PM
DickB,
Very Nice! I remember the Donzi deep Vees from way back. They were always a classy and powerful ride! The wood dash you have designed, along with a few other wood accents will dress her up nicely!

Great Job. Be sure to post a picture of the finished product AND the boat!

Steve

pine acres woodshop
04-04-2009, 07:55 PM
That's awesome. Good job.

geekviking
04-04-2009, 10:41 PM
I have a '67 Performer that's a one-off, and I love the idea of replacing the dash... (Never even thoght of it :) ) Gonna have a productive summer, I think :cool:

earlyrider
04-04-2009, 11:03 PM
My 1914 Overland didn't come with a dash. I'd like to make a removable one to mount a CD player so it can play Laurel and Hardy type music on the tours.
The speedo mounted to the floor, at passenger's left foot (right hand drive) and the ignition and light switch were on the (wood) firewall. I love old cars...and the things my CW can do.:rolleyes:
Ron

RayTrek
04-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Yet another great project idea for the machine, very nice indeed.
Thanks for sharing it with us.
Ray

AWoodsmith
04-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Man great job and neat idea. Can't wait to see the final product....

Ed

DickB
04-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Here are some photos of the finished dash.

I have a mahogany steering wheel that I am finishing to match the dash. The original finish was way too dark, so I stripped it and am in the process of applying several coats of spar urethane.

Future carving projects include a smaller dash panel for the right side of the steering wheel and a steering wheel center cap.

The boat is a 1999 Donzi Classic 18. Donzi has been making this boat virtually unchanged since 1965, except for power and out drive packages. It does have very classic lines and often draws comments. Mine is powered by a 300 hp Mercury 350 MAG small block V8 and is factory-equipped with captain’s choice exhaust (through the prop or through the dual transom exhausts). My spouse is not a boater or a motorhead, but even she likes the sound. The boat is very responsive – like a sports car on the water. It is also scary fast, consistently running in excess of 60 mph with not much hull in the water.

liquidguitars
04-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Nice work Dick!

It does have very classic lines and often draws comments.

I was thinking the same..

LG

geekviking
04-20-2009, 11:26 PM
That came out awesome! Thanks for the pics & inspiration

SteveEJ
04-21-2009, 01:39 AM
Yes.. Very Nice! That's the way I remember them from my childhood in Miami! You just added Class to a VERY Classy Ride! 8)

Steve

want2b
04-21-2009, 06:19 AM
Have a strange feeling you're going to be asked one question a lot. How much to make one for my boat? Absolutely one of the most unique projects I've seen, top quality all the way. Thanks for sharing, let's us see what can be done with a little imagination and a lot of work.
Rick H.

PCW
04-21-2009, 06:32 AM
Dick

That is beautiful and is a great centerpiece.

b.sumner47
04-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Outstanding. The dash board is really nice. Capt Barry

fwharris
04-21-2009, 10:39 AM
Dick,

That came out great and looks real sharp in the boat. You should draw a lot of interest from others to add that to theirs.

DickB
08-25-2010, 08:17 AM
I replaced the original side panels in the boat with these mahogany ones. The originals were covered in vinyl like the seats. The replacements are the same size with the same cutout storage areas as the originals. I went through quite a few trial designs on the speaker grilles until I got them where I wanted them.
38202 38203 38204 38205
http://forum.carvewright.com/images/misc/pencil.png

lynnfrwd
08-25-2010, 10:36 AM
Awesome project!

chebytrk
08-25-2010, 11:23 AM
I replaced the original side panels in the boat with these mahogany ones. The originals were covered in vinyl like the seats. The replacements are the same size with the same cutout storage areas as the originals. I went through quite a few trial designs on the speaker grilles until I got them where I wanted them.
38202 38203 38204 38205
http://forum.carvewright.com/images/misc/pencil.png

Question from a very very novice CW user........... How were you able to curve (bow) the board on the sides? Were those panels curving/bowing taken in to account when it was carved on the CW?
Nothing short of AWESOME and GENIUS carving!

DickB
08-25-2010, 01:45 PM
The panels were built flat. The slight curve that you see in the top view was made by bending the panels, via the attahing screws, as the panels were installed. This was not much of a bend and did not stress anything.