PDA

View Full Version : 248 Z-axis ERROR

RSLaser51
04-04-2009, 04:13 PM
I finished one out of 4 patterns and changed to the second one. When it started to do the second one, it gave me a z-axis error #248. I cleared the card, reloaded the firmware and the project, started the machine again and it came up with the same error. 2 tries later it started to cut the pattern, but 3/4 if an inch into the pattern, it stopped and gave the same error. What is going on? I checked for foreign objects (Chips & Buildup), aren't any and ztruck moves smooth and easy.

I just got this back from repair a couple of months ago and this is the third time I have used it since getting it back! This makes the 6 or 7th time it has broke down in 14 months. This is REALLY GETTING TIRESOME!!!

Jeff_Birt
04-04-2009, 05:37 PM
Try doing a search on the error. I would also check to see the the bit is not slipping in the adapter and that the bit is hitting the bit plate correctly.

Jim N.
04-04-2009, 07:33 PM
This same thing happened to me recently. I had to replace the z-motor-if the z-truck moves too freely with the machine ON this could be it. Should have some resistance in movement. If you suspect this, TECH told me to plug z motor cable into where y motor goes. See if you get resisdence, if not -dead motor
goog luck, Jim

RSLaser51
04-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks Jim,

I have done some testing since I posted earlier.

I will try to switch motors with X. I did however Plug a motor I had that was from the old system ( before z truck upgrade -- looks like same moter, just different heat sink) and it did the same think, no resistance. I think either the power supply or the computer ( which ever turns it on) is bad.

The z-truck motor is about or less than a year old and has less than 80 hrs on it. I would think that it would have lasted longer than that. Also, I just got it back from Carvewright just before Christmas where it was being repaired after I had already had to replace the cut motor ( bad out of box), the z truck assy ( at less than 25 hours ), A flex cable ( at less than 40 hours ) and a QC at less than 80 hours. Then during the repair, they replaced the QC again ( the one they gave me turned out to be defective ) and they replaced some other parts when it was repaired, so they tell me. It has driven 4 cutting bits and 2 carving bits clear thru the wood and broke them off ( of couse as consumables, I had to buy the replacements, even though it was caused by the machine malfunctioning - except for the one 4 hours into use, they replaced that one for free). So it has cost me $200 + the cost of the Oak and Cherry that it has destroyed. I asked them nicely to replace the machine ( before it was out of warranty), but they wouldn't. It is pretty obvious that this machine had a lot of problems and hasn't worked right from the start. In over a year, I have gotten 5 small projects completed. Pretty expensive projects considering I bought the whole gambit, machine, bit set & scanning probe (Over $2500 worth).

Oh and before those of you that want to blame me for the failures for not knowing what I am doing, I have been in electronic engineering for over 35 years, am a mechanic, and have repaired and operated much more complex CNC machines than this. I fix 8000 watt CO2 lasers and multi million dollar CNC & Robotic workstations in industry for a living for the last 14 years, I think I can handle operating and maintaining this machine properly. Personally, I think this is a fantastic machine and I don't want my money back, I just think I got a lemon and would like one that worked more often than not. Would love for Carvewright to think so too and just replace this one and save them and me a lot of work and aggravation. Many people out there have machines that work great! I paid the same for mine, so aren't I entitled to one that works as well? I have even considered buying another one or two to use when I retire, but not if Carvewright takes the position that I can't have a lemon because they never made one. If this were a car, the state of Michigan would have already made them take it back or replace it under the Lemon Law.

Anyway, I will give them another chance to make it right before I seek the help of the BBB and the state Attorney General, Consumer complains depatment and / or a lawyer.
Pardon me, but I like to get my moneys worth when I buy something. I think most would agree. Sorry for venting to you JimN, but thanks for listening.