PDA

View Full Version : Noise reduction

DickB
04-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Has anyone come up with a workable way to reduce the noise of the machine? For example, room sound reduction materials or a big box to cover the machine while running. I'm operating it in my insulated garage with the doors closed, and if I were my neighbor I might complain.

Pratyeka
04-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Has anyone come up with a workable way to reduce the noise of the machine? For example, room sound reduction materials or a big box to cover the machine while running. I'm operating it in my insulated garage with the doors closed, and if I were my neighbor I might complain.

I made a box with sound absorbing ceiling panels, but it's not enough. Unless you make it completely closed, you will only get some reduction in noise, any opening lets noise escape.

I'm now planning to sound proof the area in my garage that goes from the back door to the main area. It's about 4feet by 8feet by 7feet high. I will use "sonopan" panels and follow the techniques posted on their website. Then adding a door it will make a room big enough for the machine and the dust collector. This way you still have free access to the machine for maintenance and cleaning. Building a box around the machine requires access panels for bit changing, cleaning and maintenance.

Schranker
04-04-2009, 04:55 PM
I also run mine in an insulated garage with the doors closed. The sound is noticeable but not loud from the sidewalk about 30 feet away. I am thinking of building a box out of pink sheet insulation to lay on top of it while it is running (I run it on the floor).

TerryT
04-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Mine is also in an insulated garage. From my back yard it isn't as noisy as the neighbors kids.

newcarver
04-04-2009, 09:32 PM
I built a room in my garage just for it, after insulation and sheetrock, the noise level in my garage is at an acceptable level. I can talk on the cell right outside the door and still hear now.

Ike
04-04-2009, 09:33 PM
I have a great solution....have no neighbors!! Lol I separated my shop to make the front half a garage. The back half is my shop and it is totally insulated and I can hardly hear the CW from outside.

Plus I am on 2.5 acres and my neighbors are not that close! The insulated shop does work well though.

Ike

wasacop75
04-04-2009, 09:35 PM
from the house it sounds like a vacumn running in the garage. I wonder how much more noise is going to be coming from the down draft i am getting ready to build.
maybe i need a couple acres, a shop out in the back and away from the house. then it wouldnt matter how much noise there was....:-D

Ike
04-04-2009, 09:36 PM
I built a room in my garage just for it, after insulation and sheetrock, the noise level in my garage is at an acceptable level. I can talk on the cell right outside the door and still hear now.

Wow you spoil your CW it's own room! Guess I am used to routers the noise doesn't bother me! I guess I spoil my CW when it is cold I will start a fire to warm the shop!

Ike

earlyrider
04-04-2009, 10:48 PM
My garage is unfortunately uninsulated and right now too cold to run "the machine". I may have to drag it into the insulated basement, in front of the TV, and run it only when my lovely bride is out or sleeping (she uses earplugs because she claims I snore, hmf.) Any vibration from the dust collector in the room below the bedroom might have a relaxing and massaging value. She says BS! I tried, to no avail. Nuts. Next week, its supposed to warm up some. We'll see if the weathermen are better at forecasting than the economic gurus in the gov.
I need to make a shingle for my daughter, a new DVM (large animal). She graduates in the beginning of May. Any suggestions? Yes, I am a proud papa!:mrgreen:
Boy, it needs to warm up soon!
Ron

Ike
04-04-2009, 11:10 PM
Ron as you should be proud! Tell your daughter great job and dedication. I have 3 boys and my middle boy just married and going to be a father he works and is going to college to become an attorney. My oldest boy well he is married and gave me a wonderful grand daughter. But has a decent job but little drive. My youngest is 16 so we will see!

So it is fantastic you have a daughter who has worked hard and chose a profession that is great!

Get out there and make that sign, send the wife out to go shopping and heat up the basement and make that shingle!

Ike

Ike
04-04-2009, 11:13 PM
from the house it sounds like a vacumn running in the garage. I wonder how much more noise is going to be coming from the down draft i am getting ready to build.
maybe i need a couple acres, a shop out in the back and away from the house. then it wouldnt matter how much noise there was....:-D

You know it having a few acres are great! I hope to move closer to my folks and I told the wife we need the room for all our junk! Not to mention no neighbors looking at you from their bathroom while you are in the kitchen!

Been there I didn't care for it!

Ike