PDA

View Full Version : Offset-Center of Board. (Oxymoron)

Davepam
04-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Anyone have a way to change the board length after you have designed your project and decide to use a different board and move the center point?

It seams if I design a project on a board say 16"x 11.25" x 3/4" and center things to it, I have some challanges for any future changes.

Lets say, In that design I make several rectangles centered Horizontal and Vertical on the board. Add some Centerline Text and some graphics using the horizontal board centering only. Oh and I have a cutout on the back side for Clockworks with a hole to the front.

... I get to the garage and find a different board that is 27" long and there are 2 knots, one near the start end and one offset from the middle of it. Still enough room if I shift it to one end. mmmm...

Ok, back to the software. Right click on the board settings and change 16" to 27". From here is where it gets fun. It seems that many things are set to the center of the board. -... I need a New Center! I want it to start 4-3/4" inches from the end to keep under rollers to miss the 1st knot.

Now, I would prefer to not work with the "Manually Place on Board" option. I want it to measure the board, in case there are any problems. In this case, I would like to remove the board and place shelf paper on the surface that was carved over for painting, place it back into the machine, let it do it's measureing and go back to work. (Yes, I use 2 different mpc files)

Well You may get the idea.

What I would like to see is a very simple concept.

a: Be able to displace "Center" to another VLine on the board from the end.

b: While we are at it, same goes for vertical and make sure both directions match the back side.

What if there is a knot towards the top of the board to miss? Move the HLine center down?

Help!

Davekat

RMarkey
04-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Have you tried the jog to center/jog to edge function on the machine?
When you select the project and load the board, after it measures, it asks you where you want to place the project. This can help you avoid knotholes.

Jeff_Birt
04-07-2009, 08:37 AM
When you use 'Center', behind the scenes it just creates an attachment to the left side of the board 1/2" the length/height of the board. When you re-size the board even though 'Center' will still light up, the numbers it has in there are still from old board. I don't think that is the proper operation though. I'll add it to the bug list...

Davepam
04-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Thanks Mettalus,

I am using the method you suggest. I was hoping for a little more control in the software itself. I am hoping Jeff Birt comes up with something. I am still trying to understand what he said. I need to map it out on a piece of paper to see what he means.
DaveKat