PDA

View Full Version : ~13hrs carving time project

Pratyeka
04-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Hi all,
I've started a project requiring over 13hrs of carving time 2 days ago. It ran 4hrs last night and ~1hr the night before, it stand at 34% until I start it again tonight. I expect to run it ~8hrs during the day tomorrow. Will post pics of the finished project.

I just wanted to mention that my flex cable barely gets above room temp. While I was doing more modification to the machine and dust collecting system, I let the flex cable soak in lube with moly mixed with some leftover white lithium grease for a week, then hang it to let the excess drip for 24hrs before putting it back into the machine. Seems to do a good job.

The project is Star Trek related, 20" X 12" plaque at ultimate quality. It has 5 different views of the spaceship USS Voyager, top, side, bottom, front and perspective view. Very detailed and I must say so far that the smallest details (1/16") are clear and crisp. The wood is pine.

Having fun with this machine should be the ultimate goal of every owner...:D

easybuilt
04-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the info. on your care of your CW, my flex cable went bad after a 6 hour project. Now I have learned the proper care and to watch the heat. Your projest sournd exciting, looking forward to seeing it. Thanks again!

mgnagy
04-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Pull out the flex cable and soak it in chain lube with moly for around an hour - wipe it off and you should be good to go ;)

mtylerfl
04-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Pull out the flex cable and soak it in chain lube with moly for around an hour - wipe it off and you should be good to go ;)

Yep, that's all there is to it. No fancy "vacuum bags", pvc tubes filled to the brim, mysterious mixtures, prolonged soaking. Not that involved.

I lubed my two machines' flexshafts ONCE in two years (Chainlube with Moly). Laid them on newspapers, soaked 'em down good in the "puddle" for 1/2 hour. Wiped off, hung to drip for an hour, installed - no problem and simple.

geekviking
04-02-2009, 01:01 PM
I cannot wait to see your project! Being a fan of all things sci-fi & fantasy... :cool:

mtylerfl
04-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Yes, I'm anxious as well!

Pratyeka
04-02-2009, 01:49 PM
Yep, that's all there is to it. No fancy "vacuum bags", pvc tubes filled to the brim, mysterious mixtures, prolonged soaking. Not that involved.

I lubed my two machines' flexshafts ONCE in two years (Chainlube with Moly). Laid them on newspapers, soaked 'em down good in the "puddle" for 1/2 hour. Wiped off, hung to drip for an hour, installed - no problem and simple.

LOL, I hope nobody thougt I was suggesting to soak the flex for a week:), It just seemed like a good idea to let it soak since I was doing some mods on the machine and not using it. I hope I won't have to lube it again for a long time...

PCW
04-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Here is how I did the lubing of my flex cable.

Sprayed Chainlube with Moly into a zip-lock bag with the coiled flex shaft. Worked the lube in and let it soak for a hour. Wiped off excess and reinstalled. There is no mess and you can save the remaining lube for next time.

wasacop75
04-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Thats exactly what i did with the flex shaft from my machine.:roll:
The rest is in a sealed ziploc waiting to be used the next time.

mtylerfl
04-02-2009, 02:48 PM
...I hope I won't have to lube it again for a long time...

I'm sure you won't!;)

JOHNB
04-02-2009, 07:48 PM
i would walk softly in and out of the shop, also think twice before pressing any buttons. you don't want to have to re-start this one. good luck.

Pratyeka
04-03-2009, 02:23 PM
The carving part is done. The machine displayed "66:06:45 carving time"... I guess it means the machine was on for 66hrs, as the actual carving motor on time was a bit more than 13hrs. The results could have been better, but it's no fault of the machine, just my inexperience in pattern edition and composition. There's an image artefact on the lower left at the highest spot, looks like a bump in the wood, which I'll have to sand off.

Other than that, looks good. Here are some pics. Sorry for the poor quality, I had to use my phone cam as I have not replaced my dead still camera yet.

The wood is pine, 11/16" thick, depth of carving .650". Yeah, the background thickness is so thin that light shines through.

mtylerfl
04-03-2009, 04:32 PM
That looks good, Pratyeka! Fun stuff!

STEAM
04-03-2009, 04:41 PM
That looks great Pratyeka! Nice design also. What type of finish are you going to use?

DocWheeler
04-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Pratyeka,

Nicely done! Your description sounds like it is pretty fragile at this point, what are you going to do to strengthen it?

Pratyeka
04-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Pratyeka,

Nicely done! Your description sounds like it is pretty fragile at this point, what are you going to do to strengthen it?

I'll have to glue it on a board, as it is, I could poke a finger right through.

Pratyeka
04-03-2009, 05:50 PM
That looks great Pratyeka! Nice design also. What type of finish are you going to use?

I have everything to learn about finishing. This one doesn't need much sanding thanks to the ultimate setting, so I was thinking just putting tung oil.

Tom75
04-03-2009, 06:37 PM
WOW that is great

liquidguitars
04-03-2009, 06:57 PM
I took your 3D voyager shapes and played with them.

starfleet out.

geekviking
04-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Thank you both for the inspiration, I think I'm in the mood to carve something "Stargate" now... ;)

Rick P
04-03-2009, 11:59 PM
Pratyeka -
I have used tung oil on oak and had to seal it with 100% wax-free Seal Coat from Zinnser because the oil kept seeping out of the grain.

You may have the same issue with the pine...though I'm not sure. It never hurts to seal with this wax-free Seal Coat (shellac) because anything can go on top of it, if needed for further protection. (My 2 cents)

Pratyeka
04-04-2009, 06:10 AM
Pratyeka -
I have used tung oil on oak and had to seal it with 100% wax-free Seal Coat from Zinnser because the oil kept seeping out of the grain.

You may have the same issue with the pine...though I'm not sure. It never hurts to seal with this wax-free Seal Coat (shellac) because anything can go on top of it, if needed for further protection. (My 2 cents)

Thank you for the tip. I will apply shellac as sealer, if only because of the numerous knots. This project is more a learning project than anything else, so if I screw-up, I wont be "too" upset.

Pratyeka
04-04-2009, 06:16 AM
I took your 3D voyager shapes and played with them.

starfleet out.

Very nice! I used "Modeler" from the Stereographic Suite to create the height map. I got the free 3D model on one of the numerous websites dedicated to 3D modeling.

rickyz
04-04-2009, 09:11 AM
awesome carve! of course this is someone who has a dog named martok. and another one coming soon named kahless. carve long and prosper. haha

Ike
04-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Space the final frontier, these are the voyages of Pratyeka carving journey. To design and carve star ships, where no man has carved before!

Very nice is the Enterprise next?

Ike

Pratyeka
04-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Space the final frontier, these are the voyages of Pratyeka carving journey. To design and carve star ships, where no man has carved before!

Very nice is the Enterprise next?

Ike

:)I just wish I'll have enough years left in my life to do all the carvings on my list lol.

I have modified the machine pretty much to my taste now and all the carves I have made so far were for learning purposes. Now I have to get down to serious business; Carving mouldings and trimming to decorate the house and making stuff to sell and pay for the machine.

Ike
04-04-2009, 09:57 PM
:)I just wish I'll have enough years left in my life to do all the carvings on my list lol.

I have modified the machine pretty much to my taste now and all the carves I have made so far were for learning purposes. Now I have to get down to serious business; Carving mouldings and trimming to decorate the house and making stuff to sell and pay for the machine.

Don't worry you will pay the machine off quickly. Shoot I have made enough to pay for 3 I have bought! The next 3 sign orders I will make $1150.00. Not to mention what I have and will make.

I have no doubt you will paid this one off and buy another one and be able to carve everything you want!

Ike