PDA

View Full Version : Help with Wall Plate Design please!

SteveEJ
04-01-2009, 10:27 PM
I have designed a wall plate as shown below. The only problem is I want the outside edge, as shown in the attached picture, to be rounded like a regular plate BUT leave the dolphin overlay alone. How do I do that?:confused:

Thanks,

Steve

SteveEJ
04-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Good Wine Huh!! :D
Enjoy it! hahahaha

Steve

mtylerfl
04-02-2009, 10:03 AM
I have designed a wall plate as shown below. The only problem is I want the outside edge, as shown in the attached picture, to be rounded like a regular plate BUT leave the dolphin overlay alone. How do I do that?:confused:

Thanks,

Steve

Hello Steve,

I would simply design a pattern with the roundovers in ArtCAM or Aspire, but I think you could do it it Designer by drawing skinny mitered rectangles on the outside of your switchplate, and assign the right, left, top and bottom domes to each one, as appropriate.

I did a quickie mock-up for you to look at...I added some grapes as an overhang, a square zero-depth carve region, used additive and subtractive merge on the grapes and square, respectively, and changed the carving list order to get it to layout somewhat correctly!

You may have to play with the height/depth settings too, depending upon a particular pattern. Kinda hard to explain - sorry - maybe this is as clear as mud!

bjbethke
04-02-2009, 12:03 PM

Thanks,

Steve
I looked at your switch plate; it looks like the plate is only 1/8th inch thick, being hard to make a round over on it. I would add a path and use a beading bit to do that. And make the plate at least 1/4 inch thick.

I use this bit on my Legacy mill; it works great with the CW unit.

cnsranch
04-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Y'know....

An edge that small can be easily rounded over with a sanding block...

mtylerfl
04-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Y'know....

An edge that small can be easily rounded over with a sanding block...

That's the best answer yet! Simple and easy.

cnsranch
04-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Simple and easy.

Funny, that's what all my old girlfriends called me :mrgreen:

mtylerfl
04-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Funny, that's what all my old girlfriends called me :mrgreen:

Good one, Jerry!

SteveEJ
04-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Jerry,
Sanding block or Easily Rounded Over? :mrgreen:

After review that is what I am going to do. Why mess something up that is already good and what I want.

I re-checked and the board thickness is 3/8 thick or .375 inches.

Thanks all and Happy Carving!

Steve

ChrisAlb
04-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Of course you could always just add a simple path with the 1/8 cut bit applied .375 (or a fuzz less to keep it from falling out) like .372" deep.

This isn't "mathematically perfect" (Drawn quickly by eye) but you get the idea.

mtylerfl
04-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Of course you could always just add a simple path with the 1/8 cut bit applied .375 (or a fuzz less to keep it from falling out) like .372" deep.

This isn't "mathematically perfect" (Drawn quickly by eye) but you get the idea.

...I think he meant rounded over edges, not round corners...;)

ChrisAlb
04-02-2009, 03:53 PM
OH...LOL...http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon11.gif...Guess it's back to the sanding then. Maybe apply the 1/4 round over to the path then.

SteveEJ
04-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Hey both are giving me good ideas! Thanks!

Now, the other folks looking for wall plates are getting good ideas! Great biproduct!!

:-D:-D:-D:-D

Steve

Grampy122
04-03-2009, 09:01 AM
On another thread I had asked how you could tell what bit was used, and the reply was all I had to do was click on the bit select menu. When I click on the bit select for a cut path it shows 1/2" ball nose cutter and I know that is not right.

cestout
04-05-2009, 07:01 PM
If you make a square cut out area - say 0.5 deep just smaller that the plate you want, then on each edge make a rectangle area about 3/8 deep and right, left, top, bottom dome them 900 high. You should get the shape that you need. Then group them all, select the group and "make pattern" Then you can use the pattern and clipcarve to put it all together. I'm just guessing.
Clint

SteveEJ
04-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks all.. I decided to sand by hand but all had great learning ideas!

Tha plate turned out great. Now I am trying to find color matches so I can paint the appropriate areas.

Thanks again.

Steve