PDA

View Full Version : Using a jig

Darthmaul1964
04-01-2009, 03:23 PM
When using a jig to hold a sheet of acrylic do you use the combined thickness of the jig and sheet in your board settings or only the sheet?

Digitalwoodshop
04-01-2009, 03:33 PM
You can measure your sheet goods and just use that number. I have cut stuff on a Carrier board and it depends on the position of your bit flag, my flag was bent down slightly. When it did the Cut Path on my project, it cut slightly in my carrier board.

So the answer is if you do a cut path tell it the actual project board thickness.

It will ask you a question too, can't remember the wording, but it will ask to cut just the project board or both project and sled. Select project. The wording is different.

With Acrylic you might want to place 2 small thin boards on each side of the Acrylic to keep the rollers from pressing on the Acrylic Surface. It could indent it with sawdust flakes on the roller.

AL

Darthmaul1964
04-03-2009, 11:14 AM
[QUOTE=Digitalwoodshop;86225]You can measure your sheet goods and just use that number. I have cut stuff on a Carrier board and it depends on the position of your bit flag, my flag was bent down slightly. When it did the Cut Path on my project, it cut slightly in my carrier board.

I am a new user to the CW so I am unsure of what you mean by "bit flag". Also, my CW software won't accept a board thickness less than 3/8". I can working with 1/8" acrylic. I tried a sample project by using double sided tape to hold the acrylic to a board and it worked but some of the surface of the acrylic that should have been uncut by the engraving tool was still cut (high areas of the engraving). I would like to have the high areas left clear and the cut areas have a frosted appearance. Some of the project surface turned out his way but not all of it. Just wondering how to solve this.

Thanks for your input.