PDA

View Full Version : qc are in stock

dragoncarver
03-31-2009, 01:52 PM
i purchased a QC from lhr today they said they have had them in stock for a week

Rick P
03-31-2009, 03:03 PM
dragoncarver -
Can you let us know if you get a QC that has the modification that makes it a more balanced part? I just received a QC that is not balanced and some people have reported receiving QCs from LHR that have the modification.

It is a simple modification, so I do not understand why LHR does not just make it standard operating procedure for their QCs.

Maybe somebody can explain it to me ???

dragoncarver
03-31-2009, 05:31 PM
i do not know but i will call and ask my first QC lasted almost 200 hours the 2d about 50 and the 3d less than 50

dragoncarver
03-31-2009, 07:39 PM
A005-00033 Quick Changer $29.95
P005-00024 Quick Change Removal Flat Wrench $8.00
A006-00026 Spindle Square Recess Wrench Assembly $8.50

Shipping cost: $12.00

PCW
03-31-2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks Jeff for the reply.

AWoodsmith
04-05-2009, 02:55 AM
Where can I find online the bit adabters, I need a new one as mine got pitted all of a sudden. How do I prent this from happeneing and what am I not doing correctly.

Ed

Kenm810
04-05-2009, 08:22 AM
I checked this morning Sears has both
the 1/4" and 1/2" Online 3 for $19.99
The last time I ordered a few I had them shipped
to our local Sears that didn't have them in stock
--- I picked them up and saved the shipping cost.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_12605_Tools_Power+Tool+Accessories_Router+ Bits?keyword=quick+rout+adapters&sLevel=1%7C2&sLevel=0

JOHNB
04-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Where can I find online the bit adabters, I need a new one as mine got pitted all of a sudden. How do I prent this from happeneing and what am I not doing correctly.

Ed

if you're referring to 3 indents from the ball bearings of the q.c., to my understanding, you wiil need a new q.c. also.

pinefd
04-05-2009, 12:00 PM
So will this QC fit the CarveWright? If so, this kit seems like an incredible deal at $19.88 (while supplies last): http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00926691000P?mv=rr

Kenm810
04-05-2009, 12:12 PM
pinefd,

The Sears Craftsman QC Chuck Does Not fit on the Compucarve or the CarveWright Machines, http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon13.gif
they're made for the Craftsman routers.
But the 1/4" and 1/2" bit adapters do fit the CC and CW machines just fine.

pinefd
04-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks Ken. I figured at 11 cents cheaper than the bit adapters alone, it was worth a try!

liquidguitars
04-05-2009, 01:25 PM
just as a odd side note..

I know that most Craftman QC do not fit, but Sears at one time did have a QC that did fit the CW, it came is the same package so you could get lucky I did once.

Fred ,

If you need a new QC get it at LHR as the new ones are better that before. Also think about a spindel swap as its a lot faster to replace than heating off the bad QC.

LG

AWoodsmith
04-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Can I purchase the QC from Carvewright online? What is the cost? I am going to purchase the adapters from Ron.

Ed

Thanks everyone for the help....

How much would the spindle cost and where should I get it? Also is a new spindle needed everytime you replace a QC?

Rick P
04-07-2009, 12:32 AM
LG - you stated ...
"If you need a new QC get it at LHR as the new ones are better than before."

How are the new ones better?? I just received a new QC and it looked identical to the one that came on my CW machine that I bought from Jason Allen.

I modified mine per the "Pratyeka modification" and it runs much better...less vibration.
I am going to try and do the math on how imbalanced the QCs are because of the slot machined into the side of the outer collar...but, I wish I was smarted because it will take me a long time. I have some contacts back in the 3M Lab where I used to work and I may get them involved. Any physicists out there with some free time?? :-) ...I would like to get a firm answer one way or the other.

PCW
04-07-2009, 06:16 AM
Rick

Just out of curiosity when you roll the new QC on a flat surface does it always stop on the same spot? That is a crude way of testing but it would give you a rough indication.

Jeff_Birt
04-07-2009, 08:14 AM
I am going to try and do the math on how imbalanced the QCs are

This will involve some calculus as the mass of material from the slot id distributed over both a portion of the diameter and from inside out (r -x, to r where r = radius, x is the wall thickness). Then you have to keep in mind how that mass compares to the total rotating mass. I suspect that it has very little effect in the end. If someone shows me good accelerometer data to prove otherwise that would be great. (I am an engineer from the 'Show-Me' state. :))

Just out of curiosity when you roll the new QC on a flat surface does it always stop on the same spot?

Or it just means that there is a slight flat spot.

PCW
04-07-2009, 10:22 AM
This can be debated till no end but it really doesn't matter as long as the problem gets corrected.

It is very easy to develop tunnel vision and try to defend your product by blaming the other guy. Sometime you need to listen to your customer base because that is how and when you know you have a problem. I know the company is aware of this and is working to correct the issue and that is what is important in the end.

This is how companies make improvement to their products. I think most people that are discussing this topic here what just that. It does not matter who is wrong or who is right because we all have the same goal.

This is called team work.

Jeff_Birt
04-07-2009, 10:35 AM
PCW, I'm not defending anything. I'm a machine owner just like you. I was specifically answering a question about how to calculate 'imbalance'. There has been a lot of speculation and conjecture on the subject and I'm the sort of guy who won't believe anything (technical) unless I see the data.

Pratyeka
04-07-2009, 10:43 AM
just to say I did post the link of the calculator I used to figure out the force generated by the missing mass in the thread about replacing the QC chuck a while back. It amounted to 12 pounds at 20,000 rpm.

Of course, that's just a ball park figure, because I don't have the mean to do exact measurement of the missing mass.

My point is, what instrument does LHR use to measure the balance of the chuck? What standard of measurement do they use? Can they provide statistical analysis results of the balance measurements? These are justified questions any customer can ask.
Best regards,

liquidguitars
04-07-2009, 11:04 AM
LG - you stated ...
"If you need a new QC get it at LHR as the new ones are better than before."

I think the new ones look a tad better more polished and have a better clicking sound the bit adapters 2 look better.

I will keep testing them..

LG

PCW
04-07-2009, 11:13 AM
PCW, I'm not defending anything. I'm a machine owner just like you. I was specifically answering a question about how to calculate 'imbalance'. There has been a lot of speculation and conjecture on the subject and I'm the sort of guy who won't believe anything (technical) unless I see the data.

Jeff

I did not mean the statement towards any one inperticular. It was for me as well as anybody who choose to read this. I for one have been found guilty of this offence and try very hard to keep a broad mind.

Hey you think like a engineer and you know what that is OK. It nice to have people here with technical backgrounds.

My point is that we are all in this same boat and just need to work together to achieve the purpose that we are all here for in the first place, and that is to learn and improve our skills by sharing our experiences.

Rick P
04-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Jeff-
I agree with you about needing the data to support any imbalance...I am a retired mechanical engineer who worked in a 3M Lab where we developed rotating products. We had the luxury of dedicated Lab people who did the rotational testing for us...to test products they were rotated to the point of failure...often 40,000 to 60,000 RPM or higher. At times they would test to a specific RPM and tell us the amount of imbalance.

If the amount of imbalance that Pratyeka has determined is in the ballpark, it is significant.

I did the "rolling test" on my table saw and found the QC ALWAYS rolled to the exact same position. The slotted area was ALWAYS in the up position. This test does not provide good data, but it gives a strong indication that the QC is not balanced as well as it could be.

PCW
04-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Rick

Not quite sure where your QC is pointing when you row it on the table saw but the 3 new ones I have here all favor the red line. Sometimes all you have to do is listen to the machine and it will tell you if it is out of balance.

You know on my benchtop CNC I am using a Porter-Cable 691 router for a spinal and it has about 90% less of the db level of the CW and don't anyone ask me to prove it because I won't.

FINGERS
04-07-2009, 06:46 PM
After wating 3 week for a QC it came last week, and when I took it out of the fed-x envelope it came in I though to myself $12.00 for shipping and they couldn't put it in a box, that's nothing compared to what happen next as I was looking the QC over it made a rattel something inside was lose they sent me a junk QC I was pissed, after playing phone tag with M C for 3 days I get the crap did you use it did you drop it, pointing the finger at me not at them, so I put the junk in a box and shiped it back to them with a bill for $12.00 for S&H and hope that they inspect the next one before they ship it.

PCW
04-07-2009, 07:07 PM
After wating 3 week for a QC it came last week, and when I took it out of the fed-x envelope it came in I though to myself $12.00 for shipping and they couldn't put it in a box, that's nothing compared to what happen next as I was looking the QC over it made a rattel something inside was lose they sent me a junk QC I was pissed, after playing phone tag with M C for 3 days I get the crap did you use it did you drop it, pointing the finger at me not at them, so I put the junk in a box and shiped it back to them with a bill for $12.00 for S&H and hope that they inspect the next one before they ship it.

Mike

I agree with you on the shipping. That is kind of adding insult to injury. They could easily ship the pound package for $5.30 Priority Mail with a delivery confirmation and you would have it in two to three days and add $2.00 or$3.00 for time and material.

But to be honest I must say that their customer support staff are well trained and are very efficient at what they do. I have no gripes on the support that I have received.

You know a young company like this one has a lot of growing pains in the first years of start up because they have grown at such a rapid rate. They are doing a good job considering that fact but it still does not justify the shipping and handling charge of $12.00.

You guys will have a break from me for a couple of weeks I'm going on a well deserved vacation on Sat. I just didn't want you to think I got banned from this site.

Pratyeka
04-08-2009, 08:32 AM
I am going to try and do the math on how imbalanced the QCs are because of the slot machined into the side of the outer collar...but, I wish I was smarted because it will take me a long time. I have some contacts back in the 3M Lab where I used to work and I may get them involved. Any physicists out there with some free time?? :-) ...I would like to get a firm answer one way or the other.

Here is the calculator I used for the calculation of the centripetal force:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

click on "mechanics", "circular motion", "centripetal force", "calculation"

Rick P
04-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Mike(Fingers) - A rattling sound made by the QC might NOT be a problem...when I had mine off the spindle and cleaned it and lubed it as best I could, it would make a "rattling" sound when I would shake it. When it is cocked the 3 balls will "rattle", which is good because then you know they are not stuck or jammed. The split washer inside the QC may rattle a little too, but I'm not sure about that. Maybe one of the experts or a LHR support person can comment on "rattling sounds" that are OK.

Kenm810
04-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Hey Guys,

I just read posts about the the QC Chuck rattling,
So I went to my parts box and pulled out a new QC
I got from LHR a gave it a couple of shakes.
When it is cocked it rattled, When it wasn't it Didn't.
Then I tried it with my old QC --- Same results. :wink:

chebytrk
04-08-2009, 12:00 PM
When it's cocked it rattles because the 3 bears don't have the outer wall of the QC pushing up against them. When the chuck is placed in it, the QC has now locked on and it will no longer rattle. If it does, then the chuck is not in it correctly and firmly in place. I just replaced my QC last week and noticed the old one that I removed had spots in it where the chuck had not locked down the chuck completely.

chebytrk
04-08-2009, 12:01 PM
I meant to say the 3 bearings... not bears! Even though it was a BEAR to try and take out the chuck! : )

dragoncarver
04-22-2009, 09:07 AM
i called lhr and ask about any new QC i was told by the tech they are all the same and there is not any type of upgrade of truing or balancing and he did not know who started that rumor. if my qc continues to break ( i had less than 18 hours on it) i might want to consider replacing the z truck one of the few parts on the machine i have never replaced

earlyrider
04-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Several weeks ago,I had placed an order for a new ztruck and QC. I received the ztruck, and the QC was allegedly on back-order. the next day, I received the new QC (surprise!) and after examination, found it was not identical to the one on the ztruck, or any I had received before. It had indeed been modified, similar to that proposed by Pratyeka weeks before. Either it had been modified at LHR or the factory, as I don't think UPS nor the creatures in the shrub where the package was placed have the inkling to modify the QC before I found it there.
Clearly not a rumor! :mad:
I suspect it was done as a random test or something the like. Well---- its still working well, and is quieter than the others as attested to by one of my business partners.
Ron

AWoodsmith
04-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Several weeks ago,I had placed an order for a new ztruck and QC. I received the ztruck, and the QC was allegedly on back-order. the next day, I received the new QC (surprise!) and after examination, found it was not identical to the one on the ztruck, or any I had received before. It had indeed been modified, similar to that proposed by Pratyeka weeks before. Either it had been modified at LHR or the factory, as I don't think UPS nor the creatures in the shrub where the package was placed have the inkling to modify the QC before I found it there.
Clearly not a rumor! :mad:
I suspect it was done as a random test or something the like. Well---- its still working well, and is quieter than the others as attested to by one of my business partners.
Ron

So how hard is it to replace the QC and is there anything that should be replaced at the same time? What is the cost?

Ed

mtylerfl
04-25-2009, 10:47 AM
So how hard is it to replace the QC and is there anything that should be replaced at the same time? What is the cost?

Ed

Hello Ed,

It's not hard as long as you have the proper tools and follow the directions. Here is a link to the QC Replacement Instructions (http://www.carvebuddy.com/PDFs/CarveWright_service_replace_QC.pdf) - it covers all the steps and tells you what tools you need. I think the QC is about $30 - I don't recall what the flat wrench and square removal tool cost.

The only other thing to replace is your bit adaptors themselves if they have very noticable BB marks on them. As AL has mentioned dozens of times - if you replace a QC but not your damaged bit adaptors (or vice versa) you will ruin both.

One tip I got from a fellow last week...he was having trouble unscrewing the old QC even after application of heat with a heat gun. (He has the use of just one arm, due to a stroke a few years ago.) What he did was place a short length of metal pipe he had in the garage over the flat wrench's end to get more leverage. He said it worked like a charm!

dragoncarver
04-25-2009, 03:58 PM
i just use the closed end of a large wrench and i only put the qc on with blue thread lock not the RED the qc is 29.95 plus $12 shipping

dragoncarver
04-25-2009, 04:01 PM
A005-00033 Quick Changer $29.95
P005-00024 Quick Change Removal Flat Wrench $8.00
A006-00026 Spindle Square Recess Wrench Assembly $8.50

Shipping cost: $12.00

jwhllh55
04-28-2009, 02:09 AM
I don't know about you guys, but my machine has less then 300 hours and I have gone through 3 QC.. I just replaced it again and check everything over and over. It's clean and oiled. I don't understand why it keeps making grooves in the side of it..
Any ideas for that problem, before I order another QC for a back up...

dragoncarver
04-28-2009, 07:55 PM
i am on my fourth QC the 1st one lasted almost 200 hours the last 2 i bought lasted less than 18 hours each. on this one the fourth one i take a tooth brush with WD oil and clean it each bit change and each carving if it continues after that, i am considering replacing the z truck

roughcut
04-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Has there been any thought to the adapters might be the reason for the failures. Like maybe the adapters are not tempered enough or the groove is not cut deep enough. Just a thought not a fact.

PCW
04-28-2009, 09:17 PM
roughtcut

I have been pretty outspoken about this problem in the past. My problem was not BB marks or improper maintenance but a out of balanced QC that took out the spindle bearings plain and simple.

Is it just me or is my standards of expectations just set to high? I admit that I go over the top sometimes and try to purchase high quality leading edge equipment most of the time. But I have a strong feeling most of us here share this standards of expectations. Enough said

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?p=88226#post88226

luckettg
04-29-2009, 02:39 PM
I am not happy about this machine's issues, nor the amount of effort to keep one going. Lately I just rolled mine into a corner in the shop and moved on to using the scroll saw until I have more time and energy to nurse the CW machine and pray over it. I have too much invested in it to just give up. It so reminds me of the Corvairs, which I loved to drive and play with too.

roughtcut

I have been pretty outspoken about this problem in the past. My problem was not BB marks or improper maintenance but a out of balanced QC that took out the spindle bearings plain and simple.

Is it just me or is my standards of expectations just set to high? I admit that I go over the top sometimes and try to purchase high quality leading edge equipment most of the time. But I have a strong feeling most of us here share this standards of expectations. Enough said
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?p=88226#post88226

PCW
04-29-2009, 03:28 PM
In all fairness I will have to say that since I have my machine back in service it is running excellent. It is allot smoother and less irritating to the ears.

I am the kind of person that you will never have to wonder what is on my mind because I will tell you what I feel to be the truth. Sometimes the truth hurts. My intentions are good and only want to help make the machine better for Carvewrite owners and the people who make them. I think that the makers are monitoring all of these posts and I hope that it will help them make a better product so we can all prosper from it.

The two main things that concerns me is the chuck and dust port. The chuck on my machine I feel that it was from a bad batch but should be covered for the duration of the warranty regardless. It just shows me the lack of confidence in the QC.

The dust port is just a no brainer. Not even a option. Machine runs best when it is clean. Would save LHR money in the long run on service/support calls.

Never give up;)

snood56
04-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Hello all,
I recently purchased an Eliminator chuck to do the QC replace Mod outlined by member Prateyaka here: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=10879&highlight=replace+chuck I spoke to the inventor and he is interested in creating an eliminator chuck just for the CW. His name is Joe Marmo. He says he if enough people call him (Day or night) he will produce the part. I don't think it will take too many calls as he sounded jazzed at the prospect.
Phone him at . I have owned my machine for over two years and only have 130 cut-hours on the motor because of that darn QC. (Sorry CW, I still love you guys.)

gwiz
04-29-2009, 05:53 PM
I just got off the phone with Joe Marmo to tell him I was interested in the Eliminator chuck for the Carvewright. He is very interested in doing this but needs us to call him so he can get a feel as to how many people would be interested.

He also requested that we use this number xxxxx instead of the other number. He also said if he doesn't answer just leave your name and number and he will call you as soon as he can...

Sounds like a good deal.. Should a new thread be started.??

luckettg
04-29-2009, 06:07 PM
Any idea how much the cost will be?
Thanks,
Greg.

snood56
04-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Hi Greg.
My guess is above 50 under 100. Call him.
Karl

roughcut
04-29-2009, 06:32 PM
I also talked to Joe he said if you call and get the answering machine to be sure and tell him what state or time zone you are in so he can return your call at a decient time. and use

PCW
04-29-2009, 06:52 PM
I started a new tread (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?p=89137#post89137)regarding the subject of Eliminator chuck inventor interested in making chucks for the CW machine

pkunk
04-30-2009, 09:19 AM
OK folks, lets leave the phone # off these posts. Follow the rules

luckettg
04-30-2009, 09:22 AM
What is an acceptable method to contact him since the phone number option is out?
Thanks,
Greg.

redlegchevy
07-09-2009, 09:05 AM
This is friggen ridiculous. I am on my 4th QC. This last one lasted 4 hours. It did not even make it through one side of the keepsake box.
This is a fatal design flaw. I have followed every instructions to the letter and all it has gotten me is 4 busted qc's, 4 destroyed bits, and 4 ruined workpieces. By my calculations, that is well over $300 dollars, not including my frustrations and having to explain why someone does not get their product on time.

They should just sell the damn things in six-packs!

Then support has the nerve to tell me that it is a consumable item and the warranty is good until they ship it to you. I am about 1 QC away from putting negative comments on every online review I can find.

pine acres woodshop
07-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Get yourself a Rock chuck, solved my problems, they're great.

http://www.cw-parts.com/

redlegchevy
07-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Just ordered one. It is apparent that I have decided to go with quality. That is evident by the "Lifetime Warranty" as opposed to "it is a consumable part".

I guess you only have to rip me off 3 times to get me to learn. Anyone want to sell me some ocean front property near my home. I am in South Dakota.

hess
07-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Just ordered one. It is apparent that I have decided to go with quality. That is evident by the "Lifetime Warranty" as opposed to "it is a consumable part".

I guess you only have to rip me off 3 times to get me to learn. Anyone want to sell me some ocean front property near my home. I am in South Dakota.

Yep look and do as Pine says.
chuck those worthless QCs and change to a Rock it will make your relationship with your CW much better and then you just deal with the little crap. GET A ROCK it will save $$ and make it enjoyable

Digitalwoodshop
07-09-2009, 01:12 PM
It has been posted many times that if you replace the QC you need to replace all the worn bit holders too as a bad bit holder will destroy a new QC in short order. You must have missed reading that. Posting bad in every forum you can find will take longer than reading this forum for good tips like I posted above.

Like everyone said, get a rock and end your frustration and I see you did order one. I read all of your 8 posts and I would take the time while waiting for the ROCK to arrive spend time reading Tips and Tricks. It will help answer many of your future questions and help you carving experience.

AL

Eagle Hollow
07-10-2009, 09:43 AM

Yeh, get a hold of me. I have some real good beaches in Harding county. Hope you don't mind a little sheep manure!

redlegchevy
07-22-2009, 11:23 AM
It has been posted many times that if you replace the QC you need to replace all the worn bit holders too as a bad bit holder will destroy a new QC in short order. You must have missed reading that. Posting bad in every forum you can find will take longer than reading this forum for good tips like I posted above.

Like everyone said, get a rock and end your frustration and I see you did order one. I read all of your 8 posts and I would take the time while waiting for the ROCK to arrive spend time reading Tips and Tricks. It will help answer many of your future questions and help you carving experience.

AL

You must have missed the part where I said "busted qc's, 4 destroyed bits, and 4 ruined workpieces". I know enough not to put something broken or disformed into a expensive piece of equipment that spins at high velocity. I was trying to make a wedding gift and it was going to serve as the card box. I figured it would be a great way to show off and attract some new customers. Too bad the sister-inlaw had to go with a wickerbasket.
This last time it was a brand new bit with a brand new chuck. It was properly installed using the CW guidlines. The chain is only as strong as the weakest link and the weak link is the QC.
Customer service is trying to tell me that the QC is a "Consumable Item". In my opinion, if it is to be changed frequently by the customer, CW would have provided the proper tools in the box when the carver was bought new. The fact that I have to get the tools let alone that you have to pay for them is a scam. Isn't the QC one of the items that you used to have to send in to the factory to get fixed? Must have gotten too back up in repairs and they decided to make it a customer replaceable part. The sheer number of failures would tell you why they are not paying for it under warranty. I have reported it to my local consumer protection agency. They said that they would "research it" but my claim had merit. In the end, all they could do is write a letter unless I got legions of people with the same complaint.

Digitalwoodshop
07-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Too bad the project did not work out.

Getting a ROCK will solve the QC issue that we are all familiar with.

It would be a waste of your money to order a QC and bit holders, put the money into the ROCK.

Good Luck with the Consumer Group.

AL

hess
07-22-2009, 07:31 PM
You must have missed the part where I said "busted qc's, 4 destroyed bits, and 4 ruined workpieces". I know enough not to put something broken or disformed into a expensive piece of equipment that spins at high velocity. I was trying to make a wedding gift and it was going to serve as the card box. I figured it would be a great way to show off and attract some new customers. Too bad the sister-inlaw had to go with a wickerbasket.
This last time it was a brand new bit with a brand new chuck. It was properly installed using the CW guidlines. The chain is only as strong as the weakest link and the weak link is the QC.
Customer service is trying to tell me that the QC is a "Consumable Item". In my opinion, if it is to be changed frequently by the customer, CW would have provided the proper tools in the box when the carver was bought new. The fact that I have to get the tools let alone that you have to pay for them is a scam. Isn't the QC one of the items that you used to have to send in to the factory to get fixed? Must have gotten too back up in repairs and they decided to make it a customer replaceable part. The sheer number of failures would tell you why they are not paying for it under warranty. I have reported it to my local consumer protection agency. They said that they would "research it" but my claim had merit. In the end, all they could do is write a letter unless I got legions of people with the same complaint.

Many have C/o the problem. fact is the FU QC makes $ for CW. That is something that someone should look into I know when there are repeated problems on bike you can contact Safty and many repair have got done that way. Fact a few yr ago Yam had to recall all RS made that only happened because folks complained

Problem here is no backing we should all hang tight but most dont as long as it does not affect them. Wonder how CW would like to have to payback each of us say 3 QCs + the time/rate they charge for the change out and shipping bet if they had to do that one time the story would get better. RJ would become a wealthy man. Life will be better with Rocks