PDA

View Full Version : Up and Running.

SteveEJ
03-28-2009, 11:13 AM
Well, I received my Z-Truck bearings from LHR. I replaced the one that was bad and put things back together. While I was down I took the liberty to read all of the maint threads I could. I lubed by drive shaft with Gunk chain lube with moly, cleaned the Z-Truck bearing rails and lubed them with a very thin coat of Silicon. I also cleaned and lubed the Quick Change Chuck and completed other general cleaning of the machine.

After putting it back together, I decided to do a simple vector carve that I use for testing. I could have sworn that the 60 Degree bit was seated properly! I heard a click, checked the marks and they were aligned, etc. The carve started great. After about 30 seconds I heard a loud rattle sound. I pressed STOP and checked it out. The 60 degree bit was lodged in the board and the Quick Change Chuck wasspinning just above it. The bit had obviously un-seated itself. Operator error I guess.. I would have bet a thousand bucks it was in right.. I would probably have lost!.

I re-inspected the Quick Change Chuck and it looked OK. The same with the bit and adapter. All looked OK. I re-checked the operation of the Quick Change Chuck and it looked OK too.

I re-installed the bit. Triple checked it and off it went! Everything carved OK. The machine seemed to be a little quieter as well.

I am finishing the sea chest side now. The depth of cut seems to be slightly off but nothing that a sanding cannot take care of. Keeping my fingers crossed now!!

Thanks for the feedback, venting board and Tips and Tricks.

This is a GREAT place to visit!

Steve:cool:

Rick P
03-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Good advice Dan ... I see you are fan of the "Stooges" ... I miss those guys !!!
Some one had a good post (maybe crazyhammer) about the adapters seemingly inserted and snapped in place correctly...BUT not quite...they would feel solid, but the QC was not quite locked at 100%.

A replacement QC I purchased from LHR was like that and I just took it apart...the little allen head screw inside the QC popped out. It has ONLY a couple threads and I don't think LHR put any LockTite on the threads. I put it all back together after making the "Pratyeka" modification"...I put LockTite on the few threads that are there and I'm hoping it will work. I also polished the head of that little screw because the black oxide coating tends to restrict movement.
LHR is sending me another replacement QC at no charge because the one I purchased was obviously defective.

pine acres woodshop
03-28-2009, 04:59 PM
Not related to the machine but I heard they are making a new stooges movie. I foget who will be Moe, but Shaun Penn will be Larry, and Jim Carry will be be Curly. If anyone wanted to know.

Rick P
03-28-2009, 05:32 PM
A new Stooges movie !!!???!!! You made my day !!!

SteveEJ
03-28-2009, 09:42 PM
I have been carving all day. The machine got a thorough cleaning between each carve. Everything went GREAT!! WhoooooHooooo!!

One more side on the sea chest and then on to my projects!

BTW: Kudos to Mike the CW Pattern of the Month Guy! The Wilderness Clock is a piece of beauty! Great Job!

Happy Again..

Steve

Now.. If the Biopsy turns out good then I'll be REALLY happy!

mtylerfl
03-29-2009, 02:06 PM
I have been carving all day. The machine got a thorough cleaning between each carve. Everything went GREAT!! WhoooooHooooo!!
One more side on the sea chest and then on to my projects!
BTW: Kudos to Mike the CW Pattern of the Month Guy! The Wilderness Clock is a piece of beauty! Great Job!
Happy Again..
Steve
Now.. If the Biopsy turns out good then I'll be REALLY happy!

Hello Steve,

Glad to hear the machine is up and running and that you enjoyed the Clock Project!

We're all rooting for a good report on the biopsy!!

SteveEJ
03-29-2009, 04:09 PM
Thanks Michael,
We had a heck of a fight with the big C (my wife) several years ago. Everything good. Guess it may now be my turn. We are praying not!

Keep the GREAT work coming! Such an artist!

Steve

PCW
03-29-2009, 05:28 PM
Steve

My thoughts & prayers are with you. I know it must be extremely difficult waiting and not knowing. Best Wishes Dan

Wilbur
04-02-2009, 07:38 AM
Prayers with you from here. I know how it is. Have been there. 15 yr back I was opperated on and given 3 months to live. See what GOD can do. Here I am 15 yr later.
Makes me look at life a lot different. They are doing much better things with big C now days.

GOD BLESS

Wilbur

SteveEJ
04-02-2009, 07:54 AM
I'm with you there Wilbur. My wife has been cancer free for 6 years and we are truly blessed for that. Mine, if cancer, is in my thyroid which is cureable. I will find out more about the biopsy and/or removal them biopsy this monday. The surgery will bewithin the next few weeks.

Thanks for the best wishes from all! :)

Steve

SteveEJ
04-02-2009, 07:55 AM
Steve

My thoughts & prayers are with you. I know it must be extremely difficult waiting and not knowing. Best Wishes Dan

Thanks Dan,

How was that wine today? Hangover time?

Be safe and God Bless..

Steve

soulandtradition
04-27-2009, 11:27 PM
I am praying for you and your battle. I just lost my dad to Kidney cancer a few weeks ago, we always talked about the CW machines and how cool they looked. I purchased my today and am waiting for it to arrive. Battle on my friend battle on.

Tony

SteveEJ
04-28-2009, 08:24 AM
Surgery complete, biopsy showed NO cancer. I am still sore and am being test6ed to see about thyroid medications, etc. but that is it. I still have 1/2 of a thyroid and look like someone tried to slit my throat from side to side but overall to have that large tumor gone and know it was not cancer is a good feeling. Thanks for the good wishes from all.

God Bless!

Steve

PCW
04-28-2009, 08:50 AM
Steve

I am glad for you and that must be a great relief off your mind. I have been thinking of you but didn't want to pry. Dan

hess
04-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Good to hear. Now go rest and carve something up

Hess

Wilbur
04-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Happy for you and the good news.

Wilbur