PDA

View Full Version : mail box

johnbryantjr
03-27-2009, 07:41 PM
cost me a new qc and a broken bit

SevenCubed
03-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Sorry you had a rough go of it. Just think of yourself as a brave pioneer in the world of home CNC fabrication! Anyway, the end project looks lovely. =) Do you have some progress shots showing the constituent pieces?

johnbryantjr
03-27-2009, 09:06 PM
Sorry you had a rough go of it. Just think of yourself as a brave pioneer in the world of home CNC fabrication! Anyway, the end project looks lovely. =) Do you have some progress shots showing the constituent pieces?

ever time i get done making some thing i rember to do the progress shoots but its to late then

b.sumner47
03-27-2009, 10:24 PM
John, Let me know when the woodstoves in so I come acallin. Keep up the good work. Capt. Barry

mtylerfl
03-27-2009, 10:33 PM
cost me a new qc and a broken bit

That's great! Very nice project. I keep toying with the idea of designing mailboxes, but can't seem to get that in the schedule. Nice to see SOMEONE got 'er done!

forqnc
03-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Very nice mail box. I have also thought about about doing one and trying to design the roof to look like real shingles. One day I might get to it.

fyrpuppy
03-31-2009, 09:57 PM
Nice mailbox, wish I could put up something like that where I live. But that won't happen, I had to put up a box made of 1/4" steel with a 6x6 post due to jerks and pipes and ball bats. I must say it has survived several attempts at tearing it up. They got so made one time they bent the flag and all I had to do was bend it back.:D

Jeff_Birt
03-31-2009, 10:07 PM
due to jerks and pipes and ball bats.

Hmmmm....I might be tempted to charge it with a fence charger at night. (Providing you can insulate it from the ground good enough.) Or maybe a small cannon triggered my the impact of a base ball bat.

RayTrek
04-01-2009, 08:14 AM
John,
I like your mailbox very well done. Your neighbors are going to want one of those for their place. I have one in design just need to carve it.
Cheers
Ray

chebytrk
04-01-2009, 08:47 AM
Great! Be sure to post a pic of your finished product!

AWoodsmith
04-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Nice mailbox, I really like it. I have been slowly working on one here that looks like a log cabin. I may be bending your ear or keyboard for some help when I get to work on it again. What caused the broken parts issues?

Ed

johnbryantjr
04-05-2009, 09:49 PM
well the set screw came undone on one of the bits when the machine was running and the bit got stuck I got the bit out but i broke the qc doing it

Nice mailbox, I really like it. I have been slowly working on one here that looks like a log cabin. I may be bending your ear or keyboard for some help when I get to work on it again. What caused the broken parts issues?

Ed

AWoodsmith
04-05-2009, 11:05 PM
Hey we have the same luck, well, you must have plowed through, that mailbox is real nice..

Ed

Old Cop
04-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Beautiful Mailbox.Someone drove down our country road and smashed all the mail boxes on our road.Guess I will have to make a new one.

CraigR
04-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Had kind of the same thing the last 2 years except the snow plow for the last 2 years cliped off my pole and mailbox. After complaining to the county they would not do anything so this past summer out of dumb luck I was able to get a free 12 foot 6" round pipe that was 1/4 thick steal so I concreated it 6 foot in the ground and put cement inside of it also then painted it brown. Well to make a long story short He hit it again this year and did so much damage to the plow and truck a tow truck had to come pick up. Pay back is oh so sweet!

PCW
04-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Had kind of the same thing the last 2 years except the snow plow for the last 2 years cliped off my pole and mailbox. After complaining to the county they would not do anything so this past summer out of dumb luck I was able to get a free 12 foot 6" round pipe that was 1/4 thick steal so I concreated it 6 foot in the ground and put cement inside of it also then painted it brown. Well to make a long story short He hit it again this year and did so much damage to the plow and truck a tow truck had to come pick up. Pay back is oh so sweet!

Just a note of caution. That could come back and haunt you. USPS requires that the mail box and pole be designed to collapse. Could open you up to a law suit if someone gets hurt.

CraigR
04-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Not as far as I know in Wisconsin. Sorry to get off topic guys.

newcarver
04-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Lots of good plans there, knew and old farmer when I was young had issues with kids using his mailbox as a baseball also. All stopped when he had enough fixing and filled it with cement...needless to say, a broken bat was found the next day. No further attacks on that one.

cnsranch
04-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Careful......

Recent episode of CSI where a guy did the same thing - turned out bad enough to get the Coroner involved...(those shows are real, right?)

AWoodsmith
04-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Maybe I will make my mailbox out of petrofied wood...LOl

wasacop75
04-06-2009, 04:53 PM
the appropriate amount of explosives always works too...:mrgreen:

eromran
04-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Just a note of caution. That could come back and haunt you. USPS requires that the mail box and pole be designed to collapse. Could open you up to a law suit if someone gets hurt.Like you said caution.Around here someone keep getting their mailboxes smashed so they and two neighbors surround their boxes together with bricks like a brick house.A drunk driver hit them and got hurt and sued.

jaroot
07-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Like you said caution.Around here someone keep getting their mailboxes smashed so they and two neighbors surround their boxes together with bricks like a brick house.A drunk driver hit them and got hurt and sued.

Kind of sounds like an urban legend. I've built literally hundreds of brick and/or stone mailboxes. Some have been hit by cars and generally, if they catch the driver he ends up paying to have the mailbox repaired.

www.go3d.us
07-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Look great! Sorry to hear about the broken qc + bit. :(

ibewiggin
07-03-2010, 11:21 AM
well the set screw came undone on one of the bits when the machine was running and the bit got stuck I got the bit out but i broke the qc doing it

Same exact thing happened to me except the set screw blew through the side of the chuck. It was pretty incredible the damage that little piece could do. It was a brand new bit I had just ordered from carvewright. Awesome mailbox.