PDA

View Full Version : Slicing a model

jpaluck
03-27-2009, 06:06 PM
Has anyone ever sliced a model and then did a glue-up? Curious how it turns out. Included a simple 3d shape to show what I am asking. I can sclice it accurately so in theory it should work. curious if anyone has tried this and what the results were.

thanks

gashawk
03-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Do they have to be computer generated or can you scan an object?

jpaluck
03-27-2009, 06:46 PM
karl

i am meaning a 3d model...not sure how you would slice a scan..after converted to an Obj or stl?

liquidguitars
03-27-2009, 10:00 PM
I make my tilt back neck that way. I just split 6 ways flip it and render it. I think Go3D also makes a cool sprial.

LG

liquidguitars
03-27-2009, 10:01 PM
karl

i am meaning a 3d model...not sure how you would slice a scan..after converted to an Obj or stl?

yes just the reverse of what we do now.

LG

jpaluck
03-27-2009, 11:04 PM
line up no prob?

MikeON
03-28-2009, 04:52 AM
line up no prob?

Put dowel holes in the model to line it up.

ChrisAlb
03-28-2009, 07:13 AM
Hey John,

Are you asking about slicing the model "first" and carving it that way? Or carving the model and "then" slicing it up?

In either case, as long as it's designed to take the "slice(s)" thickness into account, it will work fine. This has been done for many years to produce curved items like this hardwood railing I did many years ago. This curved section is comprised of 8 slices bent and glued together.

jpaluck
03-28-2009, 10:06 AM
chris

yep was meaning slicing the model prior to carving..meaning carving the multiple peices as ptn's then glue up.

LG

So in theory you could acheive a full 3d carve with this?

liquidguitars
03-28-2009, 10:46 AM
No real issues except in the way the carving bit tapers the cut deeper in z. I would replace the pattern bit to the 1/4 ballnose just to view how the 1/16" carve bit cut when the taper goes the full depth of .79 by this time the 1/16" bit acts like the 1/4" ball with the wider carved slot. LHR has removed this 1/4 option in version 1.123 under protest from me for new users like you. :) I used this option just for viewing overall size, sure LHR will have a better way of handeling this soon i hope.

When setting up one of my necks on the carvewright I got around the tapering buy replacing the 1/16 carving bit for the 1/8 cut. I think LHR has a 1/8" ball nose you can buy 2.

The gray scale maps can be used to make a full 3D model but it will be some what large to get all the needed detail.

LG

Digitalwoodshop
03-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Chris,

Excellent Work with the Rail. That looks like FUN !!!!

John,

Excellent Website. Missed it before. Some GREAT free patterns and Excellent pay patterns!!!!

AL

mtylerfl
03-28-2009, 03:39 PM
My Sailboat Weather Predictor Project utilized slicing to create the hull.

I modeled the bottom section of the hull in ArtCAM at 1.5" total thickeness. I then specified the model to be sliced at .75" intervals (in this case, it sliced it into two parts .75" + .75" = 1.5", but I could have made the model and/or the slices any thickness I wanted).

I started to design a table centerpiece of a 15" tall full-3D Christmas Tree project awhile back using a sliced model. It works, but it would have been a L-O-N-G project and use a LOT of wood. Decided to abandon the idea and come back to it later - perhaps.

liquidguitars
03-28-2009, 06:01 PM
I modeled the bottom section of the hull in ArtCAM at 1.5" total thickeness. I then specified the model to be sliced at .75" intervals (in this case, it sliced it into two parts .75" + .75" = 1.5", but I could have made the model and/or the slices any thickness I wanted).

I can't wait to see what LHR comes up with its own model slicing in Designer.

Do you know if ArtCam will let me input numerically the distant of the cutting slice and position? lets say I need .20 for one slice and .75 for the next..

LG

James RS
03-28-2009, 08:18 PM
My Sailboat Weather Predictor Project utilized slicing to create the hull.

I started to design a table centerpiece of a 15" tall full-3D Christmas Tree project awhile back using a sliced model. It works, but it would have been a L-O-N-G project and use a LOT of wood. Decided to abandon the idea and come back to it later - perhaps.

Might I ask how you went about the slicing in Artcam?

Thanks,
Jim

mtylerfl
03-29-2009, 01:52 PM
I can't wait to see what LHR comes up with its own model slicing in Designer.

Do you know if ArtCam will let me input numerically the distant of the cutting slice and position? lets say I need .20 for one slice and .75 for the next..

LG

Hello LG and Jim,

Here is a screen capture of the slice menu in ArtCAM.

It's pretty basic - you select the relief, then specify the material thickness for the slices. When you select the "Slice Relief" button the slices will be made automatically, up to the maximum material thickness you specified.

If you had a relief that was .95" and specified a material thickness of .75", you would end up with 2 slices...one at .75" and one at .20"