PDA

View Full Version : Pattern Edit software Will not allow me to Edit my own work.

RobertP
03-26-2009, 10:19 PM
I have a bunch of patterns that I made myself over the past couple years and imported into the Carvewright library, tonight I went to edit some of them in the Pattern editor and it wont allow me to do so, it says it will only allow me to edit patterns that I authored. any idea why this would be so?

mtylerfl
03-26-2009, 11:08 PM
I have a bunch of patterns that I made myself over the past couple years and imported into the Carvewright library, tonight I went to edit some of them in the Pattern editor and it wont allow me to do so, it says it will only allow me to edit patterns that I authored. any idea why this would be so?

Hello,

Patterns you created prior to version 1.123 of Designer will not be recognized as being created by you when trying to gain editing access in later versions of Designer. (There was a change in the encoding of ptn's starting with version 1.123.) Patterns without that encoding cannot be edited because the software isn't able to recognize you as the creator.

If you have a working version of Designer prior to 1.123, you can double-click on a ptn in that version's pattern library, and the pattern editor will allow editing access to that pattern.

Or, if you saved your original patterns as "mpw" files too, there is no encoding and you can open the mpw into later versions of Designer, do your edits, then re-save the ptn (which will then be encoded to the newer format).

I don't recall which issue I mentioned this in, but in a Tips & Tricks awhile back, I recommended that folks save their files as both ptn's as well as mpw's to help make sure they had access for any possible future editing.

Hope that info helps.

fwharris
03-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Robert,

I did some searching and could only come up with this one,
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=10220&highlight=edit+pattern

Not sure if this is your issue or not. It does talk about some ptn files not being able to edit if they were created before 1.123.
Are you trying to edit the ptn file or mpw file?

I went back and looked at editing some of my ptn and mpw files and had no problems. I am now using the newest version, so for me it still works.

EDIT: Michael beat me to it.. must have been searching to long..

RobertP
03-26-2009, 11:32 PM
Thats great guys, thanks for the help! I tried searching first but didnt find anything, obviously didnt use the right keyword :)

Ill just re-import the files and save them as you reccomended, that should do the trick, Im glad I saved my originals!

fwharris
03-26-2009, 11:39 PM
Robert,

Trust me it took several different search titles to find it. lol Just lucked out that it was on the first page of 10...