PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance

forqnc
03-26-2009, 06:01 PM
Finally after what seems like a long cold winter (no wise cracks from the guys further north, I am a warm weather person:)), it looks to be getting above 60 daytime and staying above 50's at night for a while. So now I can get back to my CW. Shop is old drafty and unheated, gave up in November and have been having with drawls every since.
So off I go to HD looking for the recommended Lubricants as listed in the excellent write up by Jeff Birt in Issue 4 Jan 2008 of the tips and tricks newsletters here:
http://www.carvewright.com/cms/tips-and-tricks

I found all the lubricants in the garage door section, in Lowes I could not find any.
Machine was fairly clean surprisingly, I followed Jeff's advice except the Bicycle wax on the bit plate (have non) and Lubricating the crank handle screw (looked good and smooth operation). Flex shaft is currently soaking (no zip lock baggies so used an oven roasting bag). Looking forward to making some chips this weekend.

One thing I will add after reading Jeff's advice I did notice oxidization occurring on the Y and Z axis rails. I also noticed it on the Guide Plate rail, so I wiped all them down with Silicone and will be paying more attention to them in the future.

Good Luck to all and hopefully I will be posting pictures of completed works soon.

Digitalwoodshop
03-26-2009, 08:49 PM
I have been running my machine the past 2 days with good luck. I believe it was Ike that posted using the Hair Dryer to heat the Z Truck on cool days. I can say it makes a difference in the noise from cold and pre heated. I might have a spindle bearing going bad, it is dry on top so no oil in the bearing. I do it in the morning then I am good for the day.

AL

Steven Alford
04-09-2009, 12:08 PM
That's it!!
I forgot that it was one of the Tips and Tricks, not an actual post, no wonder a search did not find it.

Moderators, I think it would be a good idea to post a link to that Tip and make a sticky out of it. Could not hurt!!