PDA

View Full Version : Axe to Grind.... are they all the same person?

Digitalwoodshop
03-25-2009, 07:10 PM
I have wondered reading some negative posts with attitude if they are all the same guy opening different accounts and posting negative comments. Not really asking a valid question, just throwing out negative comments in poorly spelled posts. The poorly spelled posts on purpose to flavor the post.

They always have Customers they are worried about the machine disappointing, but when you look at there profile they never have a website and rarely email.

I think it is time for CarveWright set up a User Account Verification system. I am getting tired of defending the machine to what looks like the same person.

It is disruptive to the people who are really here to learn.

Or have a Owners Forum restricted to members who have already purchased a machine and let the Posers have a section of the forum on the outside that we can choose to ignore. Granted many wishing to buy a machine will look here for help and this is a sales tool. Let them have read only options in the owners forum.

Change the Users Forum to Owners Forum. Granted there will be dissapointed owners but it is better than the Posers just here to kick the dog for the fun of it.

AL

dragoncarver
03-25-2009, 07:17 PM
i second that motion

RobertP
03-25-2009, 07:19 PM
The mods here should now right away if its the same person. Pretty easy to track.

Icutone2
03-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Really makes you wonder, after all I now own 2 machins and with proper maint. and some forethought of what you are doing, this machine ROCKS!!!
Lee

newcarver
03-25-2009, 07:41 PM
I think the forum is for the owners, as well as potential owners. Before I embarked on my cc journey, I scanned the forum from top to bottom for ideas, patterns and feedback and asked a lot of questions. Good and bad. I have been one of the same old ranting post at one time also. Although, it was after I had purchased the cc. The "bad" posts had left me wondering if I would be waiting on a lemon, but I got it anyway. I took the dive not knowing what would happen. My point is, you need the bad with the good for ALL to be able to make a decision. While some posts are a bit over the line, I think most that are negative are just users like you and me that need to vent in some way. In most cases, the issue(s) is solved and an apologetic post follows, or the person simply sells the machine and moves on. Some have more than their share of problems, while others have few to none. Such is life. We all do need to be aware of the less unfortunate and if it is overboard, well then, let the mods sort it out...lol
my 25 cents.

dragoncarver
03-25-2009, 07:56 PM
to be the devils advocate here but :rolleyes: their was a person with 2 profiles that put up a url link that caused my computer to crash and one other person that i know of so some kind of check system may not be a bad thing i am all for negative input about carvewright as long as it is legitimate and helps solve problems

newcarver
03-25-2009, 08:04 PM
i am all for negative input about carvewright as long as it is legitimate and helps solve problems

I agree completely with that.

On the other part of that. With all the spam, worms, etc, in the internet world, it can't be a bad thing to protect what we have here.

Oak Tech
03-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Sorry Digital but no more censorship. We get that already when the moderators must cut something off when it gets out of hand. At times, I don't even always agree with that.

We need to hear the good and the bad. As far as it being only one person doing all the complaining, I doubt that after reading this forum diligently since last August it seems there are a number of people who have problems and some of the negativity seems just.

Anyway, this is one of the best forums that I have had the privilege to be a part of and I don't want to see it changed.

Thanks to ALL who have contributed in the past. I feel that I have been given a great education and have a fantastic "club" to go to for information.

Jeff_Birt
03-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Well there will always be some people who have nothing better to do with their lives than try to stir up chaos on forums like this. There is no good way to 100% block the spammers, etc without making the usage of the forum impossible for the other 99.999% of the nice folks here. So we all do the best we can...

I personally understand the frustration that Al is expressing. As a moderator we sometimes get more than our fair share of the gaff, but that is part of it I guess. The real measure, for me at least, is if the post adds value to the forum. Potential buyers learning that they need to do their homework and learn the machine and software adds value. There have only been a few cases of 'trolls' that I know of. (A 'troll' on the Internet is someone only out to cause trouble.) They are pretty easy to spot as almost every post is a snide comment about something (does not add value.)

Old Salt
03-25-2009, 09:00 PM
Some times it is just great to have someone to vent and take out your frustrations. People on this form will put up with you for a long time ,(even if you are wrong )because they Know they have been there to.
This is a totaly new woodworking revolution we are all learning each day.
That is what keeps us coming back ! I have seen many of us grow with this group (ck My join date )
The best Way to never be wrong is never to do anything or try any thing new.
Let the negative die by it self they wont last long.

Have a good day !!;)

SteveEJ
03-25-2009, 09:09 PM
Jeff is right. There will always be folks out there that want their few minutes of fame.

I am in an industry (Aviation) where you cannot press Cntl-Alt-Delete or Reset when things go bad. That being said, I do get mad at people that want to compromise in 'that' industry. That is also why I do not get angry with this machine. It has frustrated me and had me wondering about some things but life is not at stake, etc. Quality Control is something that I rely on in my industry, and so do a lot of other folks and other industries. But, Quality Control is also an evolving mechanism, regardless of what industry you are talking about, if it is being applied correctly. I think, and my point is, that the issues brought up here help LHR and their Quality Control process.If they come out with a well balanced Quick Release Chuck with some other improvements it will be because of several things, including comments read here. That is the 'Positive' side of the 'Negative' comments and issues. Machines are never perfect when first released. Experiences with the machine, offered in a good honest forum (like this one) is a valuable tool for the owners and designers.

Keep out the trolls but do not stop the honest exchange of information. That is what makes this forum so valuable. Keep the information flow going, as that is how I learn the most!

JMHO,
Steve

PS: It is just plain fun too!! :-D

PCW
03-25-2009, 09:12 PM
That is words worthy of a of a carve. It will make a good plague. So true

"The best Way to never be wrong is never to do anything or try any thing new"

Steven Alford
03-25-2009, 09:20 PM
I agree with Old Salt.
The negativity will go away and be replaced with someone else and then they will go away. If nothing else, ignore it. If you change the board, it is forever.
I belong to another hobby forum that has some very stringent rules. I hardly ever go there anymore because they talk very little about the hobby, but instead rant about the rules and regs. Don't get me wrong, a board needs rules, it's just nice to have some freedom. K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid) my philosophy.

pkunk
03-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Heheh, we even let some of the 'Trolls" back in here when they behave themselves. :) We do watch them with an eagle eye though. If a member becomes too much of a disident he/she is repremanded and the post moderated within the guidelines of the forum. So many of the spam posts are deleted before most of you ever see them. Never respond to them, just report them to the Moderators.

Well there will always be some people who have nothing better to do with their lives than try to stir up chaos on forums like this. There is no good way to 100% block the spammers, etc without making the usage of the forum impossible for the other 99.999% of the nice folks here. So we all do the best we can...

I personally understand the frustration that Al is expressing. As a moderator we sometimes get more than our fair share of the gaff, but that is part of it I guess. The real measure, for me at least, is if the post adds value to the forum. Potential buyers learning that they need to do their homework and learn the machine and software adds value. There have only been a few cases of 'trolls' that I know of. (A 'troll' on the Internet is someone only out to cause trouble.) They are pretty easy to spot as almost every post is a snide comment about something (does not add value.)

hess
03-26-2009, 01:21 AM
I'm real new here, have already encountered the Mods over a post and it is cool they and I have washed it under and done with.
I have to say that this is one of the most tight lipped placed I have ever seen about a product.
Most of the places I go are biker forums even the ones the companies put up don't put hand over a mouth unless it is real bad.
The forum is what is it due to all of you out there helping those like me that really what to do this well. Is is not CW, without all of you/us they would not be here. They should use both the + & - to make these unit better and I'm sorry, there is to many breakdowns that are not due to the user.

My point is we all need to have a place to express what is happening. It does me no good to tell someone on a bike forum that my QC sucks. We all will be there sometime, we know that just by reading the posts.
Censorship is wrong unless it gets out of hand

I have never seen any Spam here

about spelling...Try to remember some of us may be getting up there and in my case Stroked once or twice so stand back and thank God you are not in any of our shoes and stay healthy and happy so you can live long and carve more. Thanks for the rant

Hess

LittleRedWoodshop
03-26-2009, 02:55 AM
I have to say that I also agree with Jeff - this has to be a place that is productive. It is after all the "CarveWright" forum. There are other forums out there that can be used for the negative rantings of people that, most of the time, are flying off the handle "HALF COCKED" - I am guilty of that myself.

This forum is meant to educate, not a place to dump on other people, or make negative comments about them or their projects or ideas. It is a place to ask questions, to share ideas and keep moving forward, a place to learn from what others have discovered.

The key is this, keep the thing clean (very clean) it's not your dads table saw that gets cleaned and lubed once a decade. The CarveWright is a sensitive piece of precision equipment that should be treated as such. The other thing is - Always - and I mean Always - make sure that you have seated your bits correctly. Just do those two things and you will have a much better experience with the CarveWright.

This forum is the single most important reason for the success that I enjoy today. This forum is the place that taught me about lithopanes, that caused me to found the CNC Art Guild of America, the reason that we are opening an art gallery to display CNC art, and so many other awesome things that are happening in my life. Without this forum I'd still be working for Sears (maybe) and wondering where my life is heading. Instead I'm working on remodeling a 3300 sqaure foot building to put my shop in. Because of the CarveWright Woodworking System I get to do woodwork on a full-time basis.

Take care of your CarveWright and it will take care of you.

HighTechOkie
03-26-2009, 09:14 AM
Last time I checked, this was a USERS forum. Simply make it a requirement that you own a machine in order to post on the forum. Potential customers and trolls can view and search all they want. If they have a question, call LHR. I feel you should have some skin in the game to have a say on the forum.

Rob

cnsranch
03-26-2009, 09:27 AM
Like Al, I'm also getting tired of defending the machine over and over. Maybe we should take Jeff's lead and respond to negative questions with the mantra -

"Search is your best friend".

After all, we encourage the folks trying to learn how to make their experience better by learning the search tool, perhaps we should encourage the others to do the same.

Most of the questions that center on the supposed unreliability of the machine come from pure ignorance, anyway. And some I don't want to dignify with a response.

Digitalwoodshop
03-26-2009, 09:37 AM
GREAT collections of Views.

I like it !!!!

AL

al2888dj
03-26-2009, 10:58 AM
hay al wake up chris ///ha ha

Digitalwoodshop
03-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Talked to him this morning, he is Busy.... And doing well.

AL

fwharris
03-26-2009, 12:10 PM
I would have to agree with Al about 99.999% about his comments on that this is a "USER'S" forum for the CarveWright and CompuCarve woodworking system. It is set up by LHR for the owners to share and learn their good and bad experiences of the machine. They should have a owners verification number (machine ID) to register. This would keep the spammer out and those who just want to bad mouth what they think is a bad machine based on comments that they see some place else.

I learned about the forum from LHR do to a flex shaft melt down after I called in to report the problem. My first thought that man this is a load of crap after about 10 hours of machine time. If they new about the lube problem they should have sent out a user warning notification to the owners. They do have our info from when we register our machines during software set up. (don't they?) The new lube procedure had been issued shortly after I bought my machine. After speaking to the tech and learning about what was wrong, being told about the forum and getting a new flex shaft assembly under warranty I quickly learned that this is a company that truly values it's customer satisfaction. If they did not then why would they be continuously be updating the software and firmware based on user input!

For all new owners it would be great that they would be forced to register for the forum and have to read the following:
http://forum.carvewright.com//showthread.php?t=10334

and have to verify is some way that they have read and understand the owners manual. I do see posts and have had conversations with new users about issues that clearly shows they have not read the manual.

For future owners and those who are researching the possibility I would like to see a section set up for them separate from the regular forum threads so that they can post their questions and comments. They can only post as guests for the forum but still have full search capability.

cnsranch
03-26-2009, 12:32 PM
[QUOTE=fwharris;85551]For all new owners it would be great that they would be forced to register for the forum and have to read the following:
http://forum.carvewright.com//showthread.php?t=10334

You're right on - that thread was originally a "Place Holder" - I'm not exactly sure what that means, but if it can be held at the very top of each category so that a new user sees it first (even when going to Today's Posts, thru Quick Links) they would save themselves and others a lot of time and confusion.

That thread could also be expanded to include directions re searching, important links (Askbud's videos, pertinent threads like care and maintenance, Customer Spotlight, Tips & Tricks, etc.), that type of thing.

I can't think of one single thing a guest could ask to help in their buying decision that hasn't already been asked.

I'd be happy to contribute to further developing such a "Sticky", or whatever it's called, and I'm sure many others would as well.

Just ask.

supershingler
03-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Just A Thought To Make All Happy

Maybe Under Your Member Status Instead Of Being A Member Or Junior Member Maybe It Could Read Member Owner Or Member Guest If You Dont Own Yet.

I Know Its Hard To Get People To Read A Owners Manual(how Many Read Their Cars Owners Manual) But With This Machine It Is A Must.

Maybe Somebody Could Put Together A Startup Manual And Small Projects To Help People Get Started( I Own A Shopsmith And They Have One). It Too Easy To Call A Wrecker Then To Just Stop And Think Before They Crash.

Kendall

Pratyeka
03-26-2009, 01:08 PM

Maybe Under Your Member Status Instead Of Being A Member Or Junior Member Maybe It Could Read Member Owner Or Member Guest If You Dont Own Yet.

I Know Its Hard To Get People To Read A Owners Manual(how Many Read Their Cars Owners Manual) But With This Machine It Is A Must.

Maybe Somebody Could Put Together A Startup Manual And Small Projects To Help People Get Started( I Own A Shopsmith And They Have One). It Too Easy To Call A Wrecker Then To Just Stop And Think Before They Crash.

Kendall

The best way to get new owners to read the Owner's manual would be to have them read it and pass an exam BEFORE they buy the machine...8)

HelpBot3000
03-26-2009, 01:12 PM
The best way to get new owners to read the Owner's manual would be to have them read it and pass an exam BEFORE they buy the machine...8)

You trying to kick me outta my job or what? :p

Digitalwoodshop
03-26-2009, 01:24 PM

And Read Tips and Tricks TOO.... There will be a short Quiz in the morning...

1. On what page in the manual does it explain how to lower the head when it is raised too high and clicks?

2. Why is the 7 inch rule of wood important to carving a project?

3. What can cause Scaling of the project or getting a smaller artwork on the wood than was in designer?

True or False A 1/4 inch thick board will work just fine in the machine without a carrier or sled? Why?

4. What could be the result of using "Not Stay under the Rollers" function?

a. Lines in the project design along the Y Axis
b. A Step or change of the height of the design
c. Unexpected lines in the project
d. All the above.

If the menu asks you if you want to SCALE THE PROJECT? What would cause this and what would the resulting artwork look like on the completed board?

A start...

AL

Digitalwoodshop
03-26-2009, 01:26 PM
You trying to kick me outta my job or what? :p

You get to administer the TEST.....

:) AL

Digitalwoodshop
03-26-2009, 01:33 PM

Kendall

Set up a CarveWright Owners Administration like trying to adopt a child... with visits to your shop and questions for you wife..... A Screening process..... Did you read the Owners Manuals on the last 3 High Tech Items you bought? Members get to vote you into ownership..... BIG SNICKER....... Ownership is a Privilege not a right..... Snicker....

Paint Fumes..... Need to open the shop door more offten....

cnsranch
03-26-2009, 01:33 PM

That'll make the marketing guys spin like a top :D

RobertP
03-26-2009, 01:36 PM
I dont understand why some feel that you have to "defend" the machine, this forum is sponsored by LHR, let them defend it if need be. There should be a section for potiential buyers with a FAQ section, but I think that a represenative from LHR should actually answer the questions and address the issues instead of letting customers do their job for them.

fwharris
03-26-2009, 02:17 PM
I dont understand why some feel that you have to "defend" the machine, this forum is sponsored by LHR, let them defend it if need be. There should be a section for potiential buyers with a FAQ section, but I think that a represenative from LHR should actually answer the questions and address the issues instead of letting customers do their job for them.

We defend the machine because we know and or have learned how to use it. We understand it's capabilities, what it takes to keep it operational and what new and future owners need to know to make it a fun and rewarding to operate.

I like your point on the FAQ section for potential buyers. When I first got on the forum it was moderated by just users (I think). Since then LHR does have techs on the forum..

RobertP
03-26-2009, 04:51 PM
We defend the machine because we know and or have learned how to use it. We understand it's capabilities, what it takes to keep it operational and what new and future owners need to know to make it a fun and rewarding to operate.

Right, but if we are taking the position of defense to a potential future owner who has legitimate concerns due to whatever they have read in reviews and what not, are we not propagating a negative environment as well by really not wanting to deal with them?

I would hate to see this forum go away from it has been, which is a place for learning and sharing. If people start getting paranoid and defensive of any new member asking questions that don't fit into what is considered positive or treating them like they are not part of the "club" yet because they don't own a machine, it will only help erode what has been built so far, and possibly push future members away.

undrtkr
03-26-2009, 05:55 PM
I don’t post very much, but I do read all the forums on a daily basis. I learned before I purchased the machine the following: 1) Cleanliness is next to Godliness. 2) Read & re-read the manual and also Tips and Tricks. 3) Double check everything. 4) Take nothing for granted. 5) Go back and start at #1. I have carved some great (to me) things with this great machine. I have had little problems. Those I have had LHR handled with fantastic response. This forum is a great help to us who have had little experience with CNC machines and I thank LHR for sponsoring it and all those who contribute. You all have helped me is ways you will never know. Thanks to all!

want2b
03-26-2009, 06:09 PM
Just found and read this entire thread. I agreed with each of the perspectives posted as I read them. Suddenly made me realise, that's what's so great about this forum. Everyone may no agree, but it's a rarity when we don't respect others opinion. I do feel thewre should be a difference in status between owners & prospective buyers. We have 'levels' such as 'junior', 'senior', so why not a 'guest'? When a machine is registered that could automatically change the status? As it is a senior member can exist without every owning or using a machine.(I realise a slim possibility) My 2 cents says it should be easy to validate a 'member' against registerede machines.
Rick H.

AskBud
03-26-2009, 06:24 PM
Just found and read this entire thread. I agreed with each of the perspectives posted as I read them. Suddenly made me realise, that's what's so great about this forum. Everyone may no agree, but it's a rarity when we don't respect others opinion. I do feel thewre should be a difference in status between owners & prospective buyers. We have 'levels' such as 'junior', 'senior', so why not a 'guest'? When a machine is registered that could automatically change the status? As it is a senior member can exist without every owning or using a machine.(I realise a slim possibility) My 2 cents says it should be easy to validate a 'member' against registerede machines.
Rick H.

I like the "Guest" idea.
It could/would temper our potential response(s). Therefore, our guidance might be more, gently, geared to this "Guest".
AskBud

forqnc
03-26-2009, 06:50 PM
I've read and followed this thread for awhile before posting. Unfortunately I can see both sides. I have been to other forums one was a vinyl sign forum, where I was refused membership because of the details I provided at registration. I am not in the sign business but acquired a machine through a cousin who purely wanted vinyl done for himself. I can still search as a guest and realize I probably would not learn to much as it is an elite club and they are scared of losing business to people under pricing them.
On the other side of the coin my post count here my not be that high, because I don't respond to some of the repetitive post that have been answered many times. A search does reveal a lot of answers but the search can kick back hundreds of hits if you do not know how to narrow down the search. Some people just want a quick answer.
I would welcome a Owners section but would hate for it to become an elite club. This forum has great members who take time to help and donate to everybody free of charge. Some newbies may not fully understand the machine and when something occurs they get frustrated. Believe me I was one.
My background is an electrical apprenticeship working my way up to Electrical Engineer, working with PLC's and Robotics. Over the last 2 years I was "volunteered" (no choice) for working on a Industrial CNC. So when I saw this machine I knew I could figure it out. WRONG.
I did not have the patience at first, between operator error and upgraded parts under warranty by LHR, I finally reach my breaking point and decided to cut my loses and sell. With no offers I calmly decided to try again after installing a downdraft system. No problems in over 100 hours since.
I also have a black mark against my membership here for a post which I tried to smoother with sarcasm about new members complaining about the machine, the mods deleted it and everything was sorted in PM's, I have no problem with that I was wrong.
As far as having problems with a brand new TV etc not working, well, I don't expect the TV to have moving parts (except maybe a cooling fan). But if I buy a brand new DVD player and put a DVD in that is dirty/covered in hairs then I don't expect it to be replaced that was my fault.

Since this is getting long, I will end with praising one of the many members here who instills comfidence in me that if a problem occurs I know I can fix it, and that person is (drumroll) the one who started this thread Al (digitalworkshop). He relys on his machines for his business, and in this hard economic times, I have never read a post from him where he let this machine get the better of him. He posts are very informative, with infomation and pictures for anyone who may have a problem. If Al ain't had it happen, it aint happened yet.

Good Luck to All

pine acres woodshop
03-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Forqnc you are correct Al is the master, as far as people asking if they should buy this machine let them ask you don't have to answer, it's just like hiring a contractor, you ask for references, you want to know what your getting, I understand that, but in my honest opinion if you have to come on this fourm and ask someone else if YOU, I repeat YOU, should buy this machine? then you don't need it if someone else has to tell you to buy it!

I agree with Robertp as he stated
"I would hate to see this forum go away from it has been, which is a place for learning and sharing. If people start getting paranoid and defensive of any new member asking questions that don't fit into what is considered positive or treating them like they are not part of the "club" yet because they don't own a machine, it will only help erode what has been built so far, and possibly push future members away."

Like I said let people ask questions, you don't have to answer if you don't like what their asking, some people don't mind answering, and remember we were all new to this at one point. So keep an open mind, lets keep this place free like the place we live.

Mark

fwharris
03-26-2009, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwharris

Right, but if we are taking the position of defense to a potential future owner who has legitimate concerns due to whatever they have read in reviews and what not, are we not propagating a negative environment as well by really not wanting to deal with them?

I would hate to see this forum go away from it has been, which is a place for learning and sharing. If people start getting paranoid and defensive of any new member asking questions that don't fit into what is considered positive or treating them like they are not part of the "club" yet because they don't own a machine, it will only help erode what has been built so far, and possibly push future members away.

Robert,

This is what I was saying!

When we do see a potential user who asks about "the negative" reviews and what not, I feel that we have tried to address their concerns by explaining what those issues might have been. I do not think we have been propagating a negative environment toward them because they ask legitimate questions/concerns about what they have read. Instead I think we in most cases have gone the other direction by sharing our experiences, both neg. & pos., to help them make an informed decision.

I too would not like to see the forum go away (and I doubt that it will) because like you say it is a place for learning and sharing. In some cases some of that sharing is our frustrations about the machine, the software and people who only stay on the negative side.

PCW
03-26-2009, 09:07 PM
I think people have the right to ask us questions if all they see at other sites are mostly negative reviews. After all they are considering spending a great deal of money and if you don't want to reply to their questions just don't. The way I see it is who else are they going to ask hopefully not the people that are ragging on the machine? I agree some of the comments are bias and border on the line of being sabotage. But you know what I think that most people are intelligent enough to see through the BS.

I have had some problems personally with customer service but not worthy of flaming any one for it. I am a business owner and I tend to be pretty customer oriented and that is something you earn and not bestowed upon.

My philosophy is just be honest and truthful and it will be all good. I honestly do not like to be censored to a point where you can not be totally truthful or punished for your honesty. You do not have to be rude nor negative but for god's sake if you have a legitimate grip it should be hear and why not. I think this keeps things in check.

I have read some post's where people are just venting (no profanity just a legitimate complaint) only to have a moderator delete it within ten min. time. I do feel that the moderator's for the most part are very helpful and commend them for the time as well as the efforts that they devote to this site. Just need to relax the guard just a little.

I know I am new here, and I love it here so please don't be to hard on me for stating my opinion. Dan

dcalvin4
03-27-2009, 12:40 AM
If people get on this site just to cause confusion well they need to get a life a real life.I have the machine for 14 months and am loving it .It has opened up my creative part of my mind . I read the forums and print out the tips and any other things for later use.This hobby has replaced my tv . I watch tv with my wife but I am really reading the latest printouts. I have thought about driving across the US in a large van with the cw in a soundproof section an carving while driving then selling my carves along the way .So you ask does he need another drink. I say no I need another carve. for I am a craveaholic as I crave just one more carve.

TerryT
03-27-2009, 07:12 AM
my honest opinion if you have to come on this fourm and ask someone else if YOU, I repeat YOU, should buy this machine? then you don't need it if someone else has to tell you to buy it!

Mark

WHAT?? Where else would one go to get the facts? Where else are you going to get info from the only people that really know?

Are you saying that people should just make a decision based only on what they read on the Shopbot forum or the Sears website?

Hmmm, I'm going to have to think that one over for a while. But I think it will still be ... ah... well..... lets just say, have the same value.:roll:

pine acres woodshop
03-27-2009, 08:18 AM
It's not about going somewhere to get the facts, I personally would not ask you Terryt or anyone else if I should by this machine that's a decision that I have to make on my own, I think you misunderstood what I was saying, If you want to come on here to get the facts that's fine. Like I stated in my post "it's just like hiring a contractor, you ask for references, you want to know what your getting" but You shouldn't come on here and ask should I buy this machine? It's like some people want you to talk them into buying it. that's what I'm talking about.

Wilbur
03-27-2009, 08:58 AM
I think it should stay just the way it is. I am happy for all that has no problem with there CW and looking for the day that I don't.
I have been on many boards and have owned one myself and still do.
I tell it the way I see it.
I see nothing wrong in being honest. I for the most part tell it the way it is, but only if I know what I am talking about.
I found long time ago not to talk about what I think but about what I know.
I see nothing wrong with people asking questions. Hey, that's why I am here.

Wilbur

liquidguitars
03-27-2009, 01:04 PM
when i first looked at the Carvewright I had looked at most of the hobby CNC and software. most of the forums said
it would not build guitars ect... the software is this ect..

People do not seem to put Designer down anymore
and we know the Carvewright can make gutairs.

LG

Digitalwoodshop
03-27-2009, 02:04 PM
The little machine that COULD.....

AL :)

ChrisAlb
03-27-2009, 03:41 PM
hay al wake up chris ///ha ha

Ok....YAWN...I'm awake...LOL

I really like this thread. Leave it to my ole buddy Al to get the blood flowing..:razz:

It's kind of funny because in some ways I feel as though I've come full circle here. When I first bought my machine in August 07 I started coming to this forum as yet another another "newbie". I DO read manuals and I AM really good with machines and computers and STILL I came and posted my questions when perplexed about how to do this or that with the CW and software. The list of folks who helped me is FAR to vast to put here but I knew one thing, I looked forward to the day when I could join the ranks and start helping others.

I also remember the feeling of "being" a newbie and at times, hesitated to post my seemingly "silly" questions for fear of being treated as such. That never happened, not even once. I was never belittled, mocked or frowned upon. The answers came with cheerfulness and I swear I could at times even FEEL the smiles behind them. THAT, my friends, IS A TRUE COMMUNITY and is exactly what we have here.

Aside from it being my nature to want to help others, when I was first learning I found very quickly that answering other's questions was a VERY quick way to teach myself. Every time someone asked a question I didn't know, I went and did it, figured it out and came back to answer the question. So every question asked taught ME something new. Back then I was on-line here almost 24/7...LOL. In fact I remember Ken (DocWheeler) asking if I ever slept because he saw me logged in all the time...LOL I learned the CW, 1.125 and 1.126 almost overnight this way.

As happens sometimes, life turned around on me and went in an...uh..shall we say...unintended direction and left me unable to use my CW and contribute as much as I once did. The result? Here we are with 1.133 and I hardly know any of the new features at all. So the moral here? (at least for me), The more you help, the more you learn.

Although not many, I've had my run ins with the mods in the beginning, the middle and even lately. In EVERY case I found when tempers calmed, the end result was a GOOD thing. I applaud their efforts and abilities and am grateful for them. So all I can say is this forum is EXCELLENT and by far one of the best I belong to and I belong to MANY. So leave it just the way it is and like the machine itself, we'll all learn and grow together.

Oh I guess I should add that my CW has been extreamly reliable. As you know from my very first posts you'll see...

A VERY clean machine is a VERY mean machine (especially the QC folks)
Read, ask and learn BEFORE you do!

OK, back to sleep now...YAWN...LOL

pkunk
03-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Chris, I've been so busy that aside from popping in here to do some moderating several times a day, my CW has only run about 5 hrs in the past 6 months. I'm still several updates behind, too.

ChrisAlb
03-28-2009, 06:49 AM
Hey Paul, nice to hear from you. It's good that you're busy buddy. I really miss being able to do the work I always have.

I have 1.132 installed and have "messed around" with it but I guess not actually being able to use my CW much has taken away a lot of the drive I once had to really know the software inside out.

Anyway, pop in more often and say a few words. You're missed in here by many...http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

LollyWood
03-28-2009, 08:43 AM
Anyway, pop in more often and say a few words. You're missed in here by many...http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Both of you are!!!!!!

glcksc
03-28-2009, 11:09 AM
I just wanted to say that I didn't think all the complaints were from the same person and NO, I do not want any of the forum inputs to be censored. I know because I had posted one that got deleted. My input then was intended to help others see some of the problems I experienced and just to let other users be aware so they could possibly avoid them. I thought the mod was wrong then and I still do.

I believe some of the earlier machines did have many problems, of which some were very easy to correct and some were a constant never ending problem. I speak from experience since I am on my 2nd machine and the difference between them is like day and night. I have absolutely no complaints with my 2nd CC and no, it was not a learning curve on my part. My 1st machine had so many problems that I was about to just return it to sears and get my money back. Yes, I did contact LHR many times and have great things to say about some and really bad things about others.

I think this forum is the place to go 1st for help. I have found answers for most of my own problems in this forum, but I have also found that thru use, my problems with designer and CC are almost non-existant now. LHR does seem to be constantly improving both and I believe that most of the people I have worked with there in an effort to correct problems with my CC were honorable and truely wanted to provide good service/technical help.

As I mentioned earlier in this post that I had one post removed, if any of you would like to see this post, please send me an email and I will send a copy in a reply to you.

Jeff_Birt
03-28-2009, 11:33 AM
I removed one sentence from the post above. It was VERY offensive and disparaging, not to me personally mind you but to countless folks who sacrificed to protect the world from an evil, evil man.

Let's be clear. We can have civilized conversations here without name calling. It will not be tolerated.

Burl-e
04-01-2009, 05:15 AM
First, let me say that I just registered last night because I wanted to find out about a problem I'm having with my CW. I have lurked here since I got my CW the end of January/early February, trying to figure out some of the issues I was having with my CW when I first got it. A call to CW techs was not really helpful, as I was basically told that if I wasn't standing in front of my machine, they didn't want to talk to me. I'm at work when the tech support is open, so I felt like I was on my own.

After downloading the latest software, my problems seemed to go away for the most part (z-axis errors), although I have had some minor issues since then, and am now having another major issue with the machine. I have bought quite a bit of new and used woodworking machinery, and I have a pretty good handle on using software--the CW software is actually the easiest part of the system to use (other than the constant 64 MB updates that take 6 hours to download on a dial-up connection)--and I understand that there is always some setup required for new equipment. However, I'm sorry to say that CW apparently is still having quality control issues with their machines, and I understand why people may log onto this site to complain. It is frustrating to make this big of an investment only to be greeted by problem after problem.

I know that many have expressed frustration with those "complaining" about the machine who obviously haven't read the instruction manual. However, let me say this: if you read the instruction manual and then read this forum, you realize that the instruction manual needs some serious updating and should include extra information such as approved lubrication, more common errors and their causes, alignment of the lines on the QC, etc. Users should not be expected to go to a forum to search through threads to find out about the machine.

I completely understand why some of you feel like you have to defend this machine, as it is a great machine when it works, and the possibilities are incredible. However, please understand that there are those of us out here that have read the manual, have read all the monthly tips and tricks, have called CW, have fiddled with our new machines nonstop, and are still frustrated. I don't want to have one of my first posts sound negative, and I don't want to be excluded from this group simply because my CW is having issues that I cannot control. Hopefully, I will be up and running soon, but this machine has had a bad knack of cropping up new troubles when I most need it to work, despite vacuuming and blowing it out between projects.

So, I cannot comment on the crop of "complainers", but I can vouch that some of them have something to complain about--even with new machines--despite the fact that I see references made on this site that indicate that CW has moved past the problems that they "used to have".

PCW
04-01-2009, 05:44 AM
Hi Burl-e

Welcome to the board and I am sorry you are having issues. Hang in there and don't ever worry about being "excluded from this group simply because my CW is having issues".

This is a very friendly group of people and they are loaded with experience so don't be afraid to post any issues you are experiencing here because you will be surprised how fast someone will respond to a problem you are having.

mtylerfl
04-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Hello Burl-e,

Welcome! We're eager to help you in any way possible.

There are several resources that you may enjoy taking advantage of. One is the free monthly Tips & Tricks (http://www.carvewright.com/cms/tips-and-tricks) Newsletters. They are pdf files for downloading to your computer. The Tips newsletters are intended to supply a continuous flow of useful information that an owner's manual cannot provide in and of itself.

Especially read the Dec '07 and Jan '08 Tips issues before you get too far along. They will help you avoid the most common mistakes and teach you how to maintain your machine. Many folks have found after reading the Tips, that they can eliminate common "pilot errors" that could lead to unnecessary and totally avoidable problems.

Also, the new Official CarveWright Instructional Video (http://www.carvewright.com/instructvid/instructvid.html) is very helpful (and free for download, or you can order it and pay a small shipping fee). Also take a look at the videos made by our good friend Matt... CarveWright Machine "In Action" Videos by DigitalMatt (http://wood-carving-machine-tips.com/Videos/Video1.html).

There is a brand new software manual (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/CarveWrightSoftwareManual_rev1.02.pdf) you can download for free as well, and is quite thorough.

I think you'll find between all the resources (including this forum), you really won't lack much for all the information you'll require! There's also a Troubleshooting Guide available in the Troubleshooting section of the forum (in the troubleshooting pdf's) to help you investigate issues on your own.

An Aside: Sorry about your slow internet connection - some of the resources are large files. You could lobby your phone company or cable company to make high-speed internet available in your area, or sign up with HughesNet for high speed internet anywhere in the world. I have a customer who lives in the mountains of Washington state using HughesNet and loving it! No more s-l-o-w downloads.

atauer
04-01-2009, 09:21 AM
Burl-E,

Welcome to our online forum. The tech support will gladly assist you in any issues that you are having. However, in order to do a proper diagnosis on the issue, it is necessary that you are in front of your machine. When you call in to tech support, simply explain what is going on and ask the technician if they can work something out to where one of them is available when you are. 99% of the time, we do work out times with our customers. In fact, I myself have stayed late a couple times to assist people who don't get home until after we close.

Try calling back and talk to the techs. Ask if they can work out a time to assist you. Also keep in mind that our tech team is here on Saturdays, from 9 am to 6 pm central time to assist our customers as well.

pkunk
04-01-2009, 09:36 AM
I'd like to add to Mikes post about internet connections. A few of my rural friends that can't connect except by dialup take a blank disk to the local library and download the larger files there. That's if they can't get me to do it for 'em with my Wildblue connection.:)

Burl-e
04-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Thanks for all the welcoming voices. I appreciate all the links, but I really am one of those that does all the reading that I can first, so I had already read up on the tips and tricks that had been published as of last month, and I went through all of the online tutorials when I had access to high speed internet to get me up to speed on the software. The maintenance article is the best single place for information that I feel should be encapsulated in the owner's manual that comes with the machine, so I give you kudos, Bill.

I will be contacting CW CS, and I'm glad to hear that sometimes the hours can be flexible. That was just not the picture that was painted for me, and I rarely have home time during the hours of operation (I'm still at work), so that leaves me pretty stuck. Trust me, I've been lobbying for high speed internet for years, but no luck yet, other than having to shell out $70 per month to Hughes and still having to keep my phone line because that's the way your upload data. $100 ($70 for Hughes, $33 for Sprint local) per month total just seems ridiculous to pay for internet only.

Hopefully I will get this CW up and running consistently, because I have a vendor that is begging me for signs, and just when I thought things were going well, the CW starts diving too deep and breaking bits. :mad: Hopefully, this will be a relatively quick fix.

SteveEJ
04-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Hughes does not require a phone line anymore. They upload and download via satellite. Not the best or fastest service but better than dialup. I had it in florida before I moved back to TN and got DSL. If I remember right there are several plans, the cheapest was 59.99/month I believe. I did not like their "Fair Access Policy (FAP)" but you can read and check it out for yourself.

Hope this helps. Oh, BTW.. You have to buy the equipment up front so check for specials and They are required to install it since it has a satellite transmitter in it.

Steve

hess
04-02-2009, 09:54 PM
I got Hughes 70 per month for 1.5 and have not been connected to phone lines for years.

Hess

JOHNB
04-02-2009, 10:20 PM
although i get my internet through comcast, i just switched my cable tv over to directv. they also offer internet connection. no phone line needed.

hess
04-03-2009, 02:55 AM
although i get my internet through comcast, i just switched my cable tv over to directv. they also offer internet connection. no phone line needed.

Just a heads up.. Directv and one other are all the same owners Hughes,

Sky Blue or blue sky . They all will throttle your speed between 8 and 5 each day not matter what you are paying for. It will get better as the nite goes on and around 3 to 5 you can run open so if you have the lower plans do you big downloads during that time. Vista was killing me with all its downloads when I 1 st got it I disabled them and do them manually

Hess

rickyz
04-04-2009, 09:07 AM
i hate to admit it, but I was one of those people that had a really hard time with this machine about a year ago. I bought a compucarve when they first came out and there really didn't seem to be much info out there on how to maintain and fix machine. had to send mine to LHR a couple of times. very frustrating. I let the machine sit for a year while doing other projects, house repair, working on the muscle cars, etc. decided to get back into it now and couldn't be happier. There has been so many new sites and people out there sharing information about this machine that it is a completely different situation. This is a fabulous machine and It is amazing what it can do. hopefully I can eventually share my patterns and help other people too.

liquidguitars
04-04-2009, 12:20 PM
I think some discourse is good as long as it's melow and in businesses sometimes the guys that complain are the guys that are moving the project or design to completion.

LG

AWoodsmith
04-05-2009, 02:46 AM
It is no secret I ahd posted my frustration and I had some major problems with this machine. The venting helps and even the ranting, it helps get things addressed. Now not everyone will agree with me or the way I choose to get my point accross, but it is my right to do so. I pay a lot for the machine so when I feel less than happy I am going to say so. But on the other hand when things are taken care of I give credit publicly and express my appreciation. So that being said don't censor too much, some bad ecperiences being posted my help others and maybe in the techs.

Ed