PDA

View Full Version : Flex shaft into tophat

TWOATLOW8
03-25-2009, 06:38 AM
I had a flex shaft with ball detents on it where the flex shaft would sit not sit flush with the top hat, so the flex shaft would hit the back cover. Here are some pics showing the ball detents on the flex shaft. Pics arent very clear but i hope you can see.

Ordered new flex and now its sits flush again.

Just a note to check the connection between the flex and the top hat every once and a while or you may end up with the same problem. Dont really know what caused it but i would assume either the little BB was not set right when I inserted the flex shaft ?

On pic #1 you can see it a little better where it was detented..

Rick P
03-25-2009, 09:44 AM
Do you have a macro setting on your camera so you can get a close up picture in focus? It's hard to see what you're talking about...

TWOATLOW8
03-25-2009, 10:15 AM
I will try to take better ones at lunch....

TWOATLOW8
03-25-2009, 12:24 PM
here are the new pictures hopefully better

pine acres woodshop
03-25-2009, 12:33 PM
Judging by the discoloration it looks like it was extremely hot at one point, I would check the bearings in the z-truck to make sure they are lubed.

Mark

PCW
03-25-2009, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the info. I know I will check mine now prior to using. Looks like the end has got hot in the past. Or maybe is it just the picture. Did you notice more vibration or noise?

TWOATLOW8
03-25-2009, 01:05 PM
Quote :1. "PCW Thanks for the info. I know I will check mine now prior to using. Looks like the end has got hot in the past. Or maybe is it just the picture. Did you notice more vibration or noise? "

Quote: 2. "pine acres woodshop Judging by the discoloration it looks like it was extremely hot at one point, I would check the bearings in the z-truck to make sure they are lubed. "

2. It must be the pictures that make it look discolored... the shaft never got hot. .Lube bearings in the Z-truck ???
I thought we were never suppose to get the lube from the shaft into the z-truck bearings ?

1. I never noticed any viration or anything. ran just perfect. I noticed it when the shaft was finnaly hitting the cover. I maybe take the flex shaft out every 40-60 hrs of carving. but never looked at it thsi close.

Please let me know if this is normal ?

Digitalwoodshop
03-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Judging by the discoloration it looks like it was extremely hot at one point, I would check the bearings in the z-truck to make sure they are lubed.

Mark

The Z Truck Spindle Bearings are High Speed Bearings and do not require lubrication. If oil from the flex shaft gets into the TOP bearing from over lube it acts like placing a air fan in water. The oil acts as resistance to the high speed bearings and heats up and then burns or darkens and gums up the works. All this causes heat that destroys the bearings. At least that is my take on the bearing thing.

I have a Flex that looks like that too, from heat treating at the factory.

The Divot or BB mark on the Flex is caused by the BB that holds it in place. It is not held Vertical with this worn area and will cause the flex to not enter the top square hole of the spindle. This could cause heat or wear the spindle square hole.

If it were me, I would order a new Flex Drive for about $75.00 and also get a new Top Hat with BB too. I have had the BB wear and the flex popped out while it was running and break a bit. The 5 bucks for a new Top hat is cheaper then a $40.00 bit. I also lightly lube the top hat inside, and the outside of the flex shaft where your wear mark is. Remember as the head travels from left to right it twists in the top hat.

Good Luck,

AL

TWOATLOW8
03-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Digitalwoodshop

I ordered a new shaft(recieved it yesterday) I had a new z-truck installed that also. I was also looking (feelling) how the flex shaft went into the top-hat. With both new its is very tight. On my scanning machine (every once and a while i use it to cut) it is very loose. Replaced the BB and it seams to hold a bit tighter. I dont want to put to much pressure on the bb so that the shaft put alot of wear and tear on it....

So you think the end is heat treated ? I took a file to mine and it did score pretty easily...

Another thought i had was putting the top hat on the opposite way (BB on the back side if it was in the front). which way is it suppose to be ? does it matter ?

Maybe getting way to personal, and should just leave it go...?

pine acres woodshop
03-25-2009, 03:12 PM
Mine isn't discolored like that, all I suggested was to check the bearings because if they are failing due to lack of lubrication then they need to be replaced, I did not say lube the bearings and if they are failing due to lack of lubrication they would get hot and discolor the metal, That's my take on the bearing thing.

Digitalwoodshop
03-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Flipping the top hat is a answer to the worn spot.... Didn't think of that.... I think it will work OK with the BB in the back. Would have saved buying a new Flex....

Is the flex shaft blue too at the end where it hit the blue flex shaft metal? It could have been the angle causing the heat??

AL

TWOATLOW8
03-25-2009, 04:30 PM
""Is the flex shaft blue too at the end where it hit the blue flex shaft metal? It could have been the angle causing the heat??""

Its a little blue but not it got really hot.

No bearing fell out of the Z-truck. looking at it and they seam fine (spin freely)....

I think i am going to try and fix this flex shaft maybe make a new end or something....

Do you think the end is hardened ?
A zinc or plating put on ?

PCW
03-25-2009, 04:42 PM
Do you think the end is hardened ?

It would think it would have to be hardened to withstand the forces that is put on it.

TWOATLOW8
03-25-2009, 04:53 PM
Well if it was hardened then it wouldnt of done what it did (bb marks).
took a file to it and metal did come off.

We do have a rockell tester here in house, maybe i will bring it in...