PDA

View Full Version : cutting too deep

leesheridan
03-24-2009, 02:18 PM
My original problem was that the machine would start out with the right depth and then some time in the process it would start cutting deeper. I called CW and they said to try and clean out underneath the black cover on the back of the z motor. I did and it looked clean so I put it back together. Now the machine starts off with the feather and then just continues cutting until it starts cutting to the full depth of the 3/4" board. The program depth is .200 with a feather of 1/4". I've called and called CW hoping to get some sort of an idea but all the numbers for two days have been busy so no hope there. Anyone have any ideas?

mark1945
03-25-2009, 09:18 AM
I had the same problem on my oldest machine.I think you were close when you had the cover off z motor.My problem turned out to be the tracking wheel inside the cover was slipping on the z motor shaft,found it by gently holding clear wheel and turning gear at front of motor..I believe the longer machine runs and warms up slippage possibly gets worse.I made sure wheel was centered in sensor put a spot of super glue on center of wheel and shaft.reassembled and have not had the problem return,it has ran at least 75 hours since,macking the fix.

pine acres woodshop
03-25-2009, 11:00 AM
The z-encoder might be bad, is it the old z-pack or do you have the newer version?

Wilbur
03-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Mine did about the same thing except it would cut through the board. I watched it for about 10 min then the thing came up and was going across the board cutting about 1/32".
I talked with CW and after checking servile things CW decoded that I needed a new motor circuit board.
Got it in and put it together and would not do anything except give z-axis stall.
Talked with CW, did more checking and now looking for power circuit board to get here to replace that.
Right now don't know what the problem is.
Wilbur

Digitalwoodshop
03-25-2009, 02:14 PM
Mike do you have the old or new Z? This is a common problem with the old Z.

AL

Wilbur
03-26-2009, 08:21 AM
Do you know what the difference in the old and new Z that would caused this.
I can understand that the signal it receives creates all of its action, up & down.
Does this come from the signal it receives or mechanical, The action of the Z.

Wilbur

Burl-e
03-31-2009, 08:20 PM
Wilbur,

Can you tell me if you got this error fixed? I've been trying to get my machine up and running, and it has just started doing the very thing yours was doing. At first, it carves just fine, then it gets progressively deeper until it dives through the 3/4 inch wood.

At this point, I have about 25 hours on the machine, and about 5 successful carves and more than double that in unsuccessful carves. My first problem of Z axis stalls appeared to be fixed by uploading the new software.

Now that I'm trying to carve multiple signs on one piece of wood to increas production, the machine starts diving after the first short sign ("The Potting Shed") is complete. This is frustrating.

I guess I'll go out and check to see whether I have the old Z or the new Z. Since I got this at the end of January, I would have thought this was a newer model. What's going on?

Burl-e
04-01-2009, 05:51 AM
Mike do you have the old or new Z? This is a common problem with the old Z.

AL

Al,

FYI, I just checked, and I have the new Z, and have the same problem.

Wilbur
04-01-2009, 06:11 AM
No. I am still down and this is the fourth week.
After getting with CW and going through a serial things. I replaced the Z motor circuit board.
That did not help and decided that was not the problem. Decided that we needed to change the white ribbon cable and the head termination electric board. That came in and was a mess. It had gotten damaged in shipment. I scent it back and waiting on replacement for that. CW would not send replacement until they got the damaged one, so Here I sit.
I am wondering if my whole machine was new or not. Nothing I can do except wait and see.

I am keeping a log of everything I do to mine. You can see it here
http://www.angelfire.com/sc/candlemaker/CarveWright.html

It is hard for me to understand this much trouble with a new machine. I am looking for the day I can start carving.

Wilbur

mtylerfl
04-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Hello Wilber,

So very sorry to hear about your problems. Since you are in warranty, perhaps you could ask LHR if you can send in the machine for a thorough going over.

Turn-around time is usually on the order of about 2 weeks-ish. You mentioned you have already been down for 4 weeks, so maybe sending it in is the most practical and quickest way to get back up and running.

I'm looking forward to you being able to enjoy your machine (as I'm sure you are too, of course!).

All the Best...

Burl-e
04-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Come on, Al, if you don't have some ideas here, we're hopeless. Many of your posts pushed me over the edge into staying positive during my first round of problems. Any ideas?

Wilbur
04-02-2009, 07:23 AM
Just may be if I don't get things straighten out this go round I will see about sending it back.
Tech support has been very good and I don't mine doing some repairs myself but enough is a enough.
I called CW 4/1/09 to check if they had gotten my package of damaged parts and they had. The box was just sitting in the ware house. The thing about that is they could have shipped the new parts the same day I called them and I would have had them two days ago but no even though they had my CC for security they wanted to have the parts first and still I had to make the call to check the Statius, no order had even made to get it out.
After talking with Tech support they are on there way.
Hope things get started up this week end.
I am pretty easy going but there comes a point. But hey that's life. It has been hurry up and wait all my 67 yr so why would things change now.

I just read that the bearings on the left side was not adjustable, just the right.That is good to know.

Thanks to all for the help

Wilbur