PDA

View Full Version : Jesus Face on a Cross

musicman
03-24-2009, 12:43 AM
Here is a pattern that I liked very much. Hope it will make a great Easter project.

I had trouble posting it over the weekend, thanks to the help of the great fellow carvers I think it will work, if not I'll keep trying.

Have a great Easter.

Musicman

Rocky
03-24-2009, 02:30 AM
Here is a pattern that I liked very much. Hope it will make a great Easter project.

I had trouble posting it over the weekend, thanks to the help of the great fellow carvers I think it will work, if not I'll keep trying.

Have a great Easter.

Musicman

Nice carve, what kind of wood did you use? Also, why is your project 2 inches thick?

musicman
03-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Hi
I haven't carved it yet, that was the way I got the pattern. I think the pattern is about 1 3/8. I found a photo on the forum, used it, wanted to get the pattern on the forum so others could use it. I have some health problems, so I don't always get to work as much as I would like. I am not to good at this yet.

Thanks
Musicman

AskBud
03-24-2009, 01:10 PM
I altered the "Jesus Face" pattern to fit a 3/4 board and it carves well. I did raise the Height to 900.

With a couple of magnets, on the back, it will make a swell refrigerator decoration.
AskBud

musicman
03-24-2009, 01:17 PM
what is your over all dimensions of the pattern

musicman

Kenm810
03-24-2009, 03:06 PM
I did pretty much the same thing,
but I made the carving an inch or so taller.
Similar to the photo, it just looked better to me.

leesheridan
03-24-2009, 04:15 PM
Bud, thanks for the great pattern. It's not just a gift of an mpc. But, I already know which friends of ours that will except this as a gift and those of them that won't, if you know what I'm saying. I just hope that some will suprise me. Thanks again.

AskBud
03-24-2009, 06:01 PM
what is your over all dimensions of the pattern

musicman

I did not change the size of the Cross Pattern itself. It is as you posted it.
I rotated the pattern 90 Degrees, and changed the width of the board to 7" and Length to 10" using a 3/4" board (.750).
I then set the Depth at .700 and the Height at 900. You may also do an Outline & Cut-Path, if you wish.

It's a very nice carving!
AskBud

JVallario
03-25-2009, 09:17 AM
Here is one I just did for a friend in 1 3/4 red oak. He wanted the inside darker. Makes the image stand out a bit more. I like leaving it in the wood rather than cutting it out. You can hang it up or stand it on a flat surface.

pine acres woodshop
03-25-2009, 10:56 AM
Good job Jvallario that looks great, I like the two different tones of wood.

Mark

DocWheeler
03-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Since the pattern has been posted, I'd like to add a version that carved pretty well for me (a year ago).

You must use a 14"+- sled to do it, and I just used six inch long pieces of 2X4 to make them. If I remember correctly, I had a picture of it in the Sled Tips & Tricks.

Kenm810
03-26-2009, 12:08 PM
Nice One Doc,

I Like it !! :grin: It's going on my to do list for sure. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Rickrljones
03-26-2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks for sharing this pattern with the thread.

JVallario
03-27-2009, 09:20 AM
Cool beans Doc. Cool beans indeed.

chebytrk
04-05-2009, 09:09 AM
Since the pattern has been posted, I'd like to add a version that carved pretty well for me (a year ago).

You must use a 14"+- sled to do it, and I just used six inch long pieces of 2X4 to make them. If I remember correctly, I had a picture of it in the Sled Tips & Tricks.

Question........ Is it really necessary for the sled? Can I just use a 14" piece of 2x4 and just cut it to size with a saw after the project is done? I guess that would be a waste of wood huh? I'm still a newb and trying to learn so I apologize for the dumb questions. Thanks

DocWheeler
04-05-2009, 09:18 AM
chebytrk,

I have carved this in various sized boards And I see where my posts may be confusing. Since I wanted to maximize the width of the carves in the material that I used, the bit was too close to the edges of the board not to use a sled or rails.

This last post just used a short piece of 2X4 with the cross going all away across the width - had to use a sled. The one I showed in the Tips&Tricks awhile back needed a sled because the 2X10 (2X12?) was twisted as well as my need to make it full width.

If you have good material on the edges of your 2X? and you leave enough material for the rollers and board-sensor, there is no need for a sled or rails.

chebytrk
04-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Thank you for the info sir. Makes perfect sense. I sure wish there was a place I go and take a workshop class on this CW. Seems like there's so much info out there to learn (especially Tips N Tricks). It's just better (for me anyway) to learn by one-to-one discussion & demonstration. Guess it's the ol' "military instructor" in me from days gone past. Thanks again!

cnsranch
07-13-2009, 09:00 AM
Here's my attempt - been waiting to find the right piece of wood.

Walnut, 1.125" thick slab.

Needs a couple more coats of varnish, this was about 30 minutes after the first coat, still a tad wet.

Dan-Woodman
07-13-2009, 09:40 AM
Jerry

That is terrific. The color variation is beautiful. Those slabs make cool carvings.
later Daniel

Kenm810
07-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Jerry,

Looks like you waited just long enough,
to fine the perfect piece of wood.
Very well done, Thank for Sharing your photos

RayTrek
07-13-2009, 10:11 AM
Jerry,
Wow! I love everything about it they are all beautiful but in my opinion between your talent and natures creation yours stands out.
Ray

DocWheeler
07-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Jerry,

That is a great looking project, good layout and adaptation of the pattern.
And, only a few more posts to be an "old guy".

supershingler
07-13-2009, 10:44 AM
great job on the walnut

i made one of these up and got orders for more right away. if someone wants a project to help pay for a machine this is a simple one to do.

i have dont 26 of them so far with orders for more

great job

kendall

rcdages
07-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Jerry,

Thank you for posting your project.

Very nice woodmanship.

Robert

mtylerfl
07-13-2009, 01:14 PM

Needs a couple more coats of varnish, this was about 30 minutes after the first coat, still a tad wet.

That's a very fine job!! I love the "slab carvings" too. Yields a really nice look to almost any carving.

A few days ago, I completed a brand new "Joseph and Boy Jesus" pattern (http://www.carvebuddy.com/religious.html) for the CarveBuddy website based on a photo of a statue someone sent to me awhile back. Your project reminded me that I can't wait to see what folks come up with using that pattern! (it would look great on a slab of wood, I'll bet!):wink:

cnsranch
07-13-2009, 01:34 PM
I can't wait to see what folks come up with using that pattern! (it would look great on a slab of wood, I'll bet!):wink:

Send it to me, Michael, I'll be happy to show you how it turns out:cool:

bjbethke
07-13-2009, 06:27 PM

I have some walnut slabs I cut from the walnut trees I lost in the January Ice storm; they are about a foot to 3 feet long and 1.5 inch thick. And about 6 inches wide.

Kenm810
07-13-2009, 06:36 PM
BJB,

looks like you're going to have some nice carving stock to work with. --- WoW! :wink:

bjbethke
07-14-2009, 02:10 PM
BJB,

looks like you're going to have some nice carving stock to work with. --- WoW! :wink:
Ken
I'm not sure if I will carve all the slabs, but I have enough standard firewood and most people have more fire wood than they need here in Arkansas. I decided to cut the firewood on a different slant, maybe I could sell it faster that way.

PCW
07-14-2009, 02:30 PM
BJ,

I would dry the slaps and post some for sale. I would love to have some Walnut slabs like that for carving.

SteveEJ
07-14-2009, 04:05 PM
Me too, and Memphis is not that far away! :D

TerryT
07-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Your project reminded me that I can't wait to see what folks come up with using that pattern! (it would look great on a slab of wood, I'll bet!):wink:

Michael,
That is one very nice pattern. Excellent work.

billybehr
07-14-2009, 05:50 PM

Could you help a junior member out here and tell me; do you use a sled or what when you carve on a sled like that? Obviously you don't just throw it on the CW "as-is".

billybehr
07-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Ken
I'm not sure if I will carve all the slabs, but I have enough standard firewood and most people have more fire wood than they need here in Arkansas. I decided to cut the firewood on a different slant, maybe I could sell it faster that way.

BJB,
If you decide to sell any slabs, let me know, I would defiantely be interested in buying a few.

Kenm810
07-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Hi billybehr,

Here's some info the might get you started in the right direction

Forgotten Pine (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=7302&highlight=slabs)
ISSUE 7 April 2008 – Carving Jigs – Carrier Boards, Sleds and Rails (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Apr08.pdf)

bjbethke
07-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Could you help a junior member out here and tell me; do you use a sled or what when you carve on a sled like that? Obviously you don't just throw it on the CW "as-is".
When I carve the slabs I only use a straight flat bottom board and use double stick tape to hold the slab to the board. 1/4 inch MDF works great. You do not need side boards if you stay inside the edge of the slab with your carving.

The blue lines show how the CW unit measures the slab - Width first, then the length.

I do not use any tape when I carve the slabs.

bjbethke
07-14-2009, 09:47 PM
I have lots of wood that would sell for a low price. The shipping cost may be high. If you could pick it up I could fill your pickup. PM me with your e-mail address and I can send photos.

forqnc
07-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks BJB now I have to wipe the drool out of my keyboard :), I would love to buy some of them slabs, but as you say shipping would be high.
Oh well, wish I was closer.

cnsranch
07-15-2009, 11:03 AM

Sorry, missed your post -

Ken said it all, but here's a couple of hints I've found -

Couple of dabs of hot glue will hold your board to the sled.

When designing your carve, make the virtual board the same length of the sled, and, as closely as you can, draw an oval on the virtual board the same dimensions of the area on the real piece where the carve will go (you don't necessarily want to carve into the bark, too close to the edges, etc). That oval will help you place the carve where you want it, it will rarely be centered on the board, 'cause the real board isn't perfect, and it's oval area is irregular as well.

The board to be carved will quite likely have the 3.5" on each end that you want to stay under the rollers, so the sled will be the required 7" to make the machine happy. Just tell the machine NOT to stay under the rollers, it will, 'cause you're not going to carve within 3.5" of each end.

liquidguitars
07-15-2009, 11:20 AM
The board to be carved will quite likely have the 3.5" on each end that you want to stay under the rollers, so the sled will be the required 7" to make the machine happy. Just tell the machine NOT to stay under the rollers, it will, 'cause you're not going to carve within 3.5" of each end.

sounds good I like to add.. I use 4" on the ends, gives more room for the z trucks LED's. "wider sizes than 3.5" makes no difference in the carving logic."

To start place the sleds 4" tail under the Z truck to do the measurements cycle and the z truck will not get confused due to the voids in the center.

Lg

cnsranch
07-20-2009, 12:03 PM
That's a very fine job!! I love the "slab carvings" too. Yields a really nice look to almost any carving.

A few days ago, I completed a brand new "Joseph and Boy Jesus" pattern (http://www.carvebuddy.com/religious.html) for the CarveBuddy website based on a photo of a statue someone sent to me awhile back. Your project reminded me that I can't wait to see what folks come up with using that pattern! (it would look great on a slab of wood, I'll bet!):wink:

Can't stand those subtle challenges :p

Got MT's pattern from Carvebuddy, and gave it a shot.

Tell me what you think.