PDA

View Full Version : Adaptor bits for sale

Pratyeka
03-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Hello all,
Since I replaced my QC with the RC Eliminator chuck, I have 8 (1/4") bit adaptors and 6 (1/2") bit adaptors sitting on the shelf. They are all unused except for 2 or 3. I have trashed the 2 that had dimple marks in them.
I will let them go for $40. Send private message if interested.

Pratyeka
03-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Already got a taker! Sorry, sold!.

liquidguitars
03-21-2009, 06:28 PM
I just got a few at sears dam i am sick of this ..

LG

Digitalwoodshop
03-21-2009, 07:40 PM
It is a fine line in hardness of the QC and the Bit holders. I am sure a lot of engineering thought went into that Rockwell Hardness number. A fine line between too Brittle and too soft.... Last Years or last for Month$......

$$:)$$

AL

liquidguitars
03-21-2009, 10:15 PM
I hope i do not sound 2 sour the Carvewright for what it does is fantastic, all my QC probs this time is my doing and not LHR's..

As far as the bit adapters I feel that they are treated a little on the soft side..

LG

Digitalwoodshop
03-21-2009, 10:32 PM
I hope i do not sound 2 sour the Carvewright for what it does is fantastic, all my QC probs this time is my doing and not LHR's..

As far as the bit adapters I feel that they are treated a little on the soft side..

LG

I feel the same way too.

As long as you change out everything when they go bad you really save money as trying to save money just changing the bit holder then you just throw your money away.

Returning the QC and Bit Holders to 100% is the best way to get the most carving time out of each replacement.

AL

liquidguitars
03-21-2009, 10:48 PM
I working on a project right now that needs a few test carves to get right, the bummer is that the carve times are about 4.5 hrs per test in draft mode, i ran out of soft maple and used use some of my old rock hard maple I had down in the wood shed "BAD IDEA" after two sets of set screws backed out it was all over for my QC and R and D for the week.

Boolean subdivide anyone? :)

LG

Rocky
03-22-2009, 05:59 AM
Hello all,
Since I replaced my QC with the RC Eliminator chuck, I have 8 (1/4") bit adaptors and 6 (1/2") bit adaptors sitting on the shelf. They are all unused except for 2 or 3. I have trashed the 2 that had dimple marks in them.
I will let them go for $40. Send private message if interested.

Which RC Eliminator chuck works with the CW? And, where can they be purchased?

Thanks,

Pratyeka
03-22-2009, 06:34 AM
Which RC Eliminator chuck works with the CW? And, where can they be purchased?

Thanks,

none fits. You have to modify the RC with a metal lathe so that it will fit inside the spindle. See here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23054187@N08/3222087513/in/photostream/

Rocky
03-22-2009, 10:15 AM
none fits. You have to modify the RC with a metal lathe so that it will fit inside the spindle. See here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23054187@N08/3222087513/in/photostream/

Thanks for the feedback.

Rick P
03-22-2009, 11:39 AM
Pratyeka - I believe you determined the Bosch RC Eliminator quick change chuck was the best match with the CW...?...correct??

I have a business contact with a small metal shop business...this modification would be a peice of cake for him once I get the details pinned down. What did you use as a bonding material??

Pratyeka
03-22-2009, 12:04 PM
Pratyeka - I believe you determined the Bosch RC Eliminator quick change chuck was the best match with the CW...?...correct??

I have a business contact with a small metal shop business...this modification would be a peice of cake for him once I get the details pinned down. What did you use as a bonding material??

I used JB Weld metal epoxy. Any good industrial metal epoxy will do. The part that fit inside the spindle is a little more than 1/2 long and maybe .001" smaller than the inside diameter of the spindle. So there's enough contact area for the glue to hold the RC chuck with tons of holding power. If you bring the whole Z-truck to the shop, that would make it real easy for them to fit the RC chuck in.
Note also that you need to saw off the nut of the RC chuck. And yes, the RC chuck for the Bosch is a good match.

I will prepare a couple of drawings to illustrate the mods and post them in a new thread. There seems to be some interest from a few people.

liquidguitars
03-22-2009, 12:21 PM
is this the one?

SHA0201 Bosch® 1613 AEVS & 1617-8-9 EVS $56.95

LG

Pratyeka
03-22-2009, 12:27 PM
is this the one?

SHA0201 Bosch® 1613 AEVS & 1617-8-9 EVS $56.95

LG

the very same! I removed the nut and made the conical part into a cylinder that fits into the CW spindle.
http://magnate.net/index.cfm?event=showProductGroup&theID=198

liquidguitars
03-22-2009, 12:34 PM
the very same! I removed the nut and made the conical part into a cylinder that fits into the CW spindle.
http://magnate.net/index.cfm?event=showProductGroup&theID=198

just to be clear, you have no real issues changing out cutters for large projects? lets say my project uses the 1/8" cut, 1/16" carving, 1/4 ball,1/2" ball, 1/2" bit all in one MPC thats a lot of swaping of bits. it still make sense?

LG

Pratyeka
03-22-2009, 01:12 PM
no issues at all because the bits when inserted hit a stopper inside the RC chuck, so the same bit always end up located the same way (same height). I have just posted the instruction for this mod.

liquidguitars
03-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks! I think i will give it a shot..

Here is my runout with a new QC and bit adapter.

But at the same time looks like AL was right about the bearing retainer as it dropped out not long after..

NEVER use old rock hard maple that is the same hardness as @#%$% steel for deep and long carves. :)

LG

earlyrider
03-22-2009, 06:02 PM
Pratyeka,
Why not try an interference fit instead of the -2 thou and epoxy on the sleeve?
Ron

Pratyeka
03-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Pratyeka,
Why not try an interference fit instead of the -2 thou and epoxy on the sleeve?
Ron

I am not familiar with this term "interference fit", please explain, sounds very interesting.

Ah, just checked the Wiki, also called "press fit". I believe you would need to heat the spindle to a rather high temp to expand it enough for the modified RC to slide in. Thus the need to remove the Spindel from the Z-truck. But for sure the assembly would be much more precise. I believe my results are as much due to patience, skill and luck. If I were to do it commercially, I would definetely find a better way, like making the spindle and the chuck in one piece.

earlyrider
03-23-2009, 10:08 AM
A machinist friend told me about this process regarding replacing worn surfaces in things like gear hubs and elsewhere. The sleeve to be inserted is turned to +2 or 3 thou, (slightly oversize to the opening it will be placed in) slight bevel on end, then pressed into the hub or spindle. No heat involved. To make it easier, the sleeve could be chilled with dry ice or whatever.
The key is to have a good machinist friend with an accurate lathe and hydraulic press.
Ron