PDA

View Full Version : Problem with measuring length

PlateCarver
03-20-2009, 06:33 PM
After cutting several signs the machine is now having a hard time determining the length of a board. Initially when it measures the width and length it keeps the sandpaper belts running and more or less ejects the board. Finds the width just fine but just keeps on going on the length. I went ahead and gave it a good cleaning and wiped off the sensor under the z-truck and made sure the sensor (or wheel) under the board turned. Any suggestions to help???

Ike
03-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Is it pushing the board all the way out of the machine? If so you might have a rear roller compressed. Without a board loaded use the key pad to check the rollers. If it is compressed it will tell you.

Plus you might want to check the head pressure and at the very least try another board to make sure it isn't the board.

Ike

Oh if it is a compressed roller try blowing out the ends. I tap my roller and or use my rubber head hammer handle and apply pressure to the roller. Moving it up and down.

PlateCarver
03-20-2009, 08:15 PM
Thaks I will try that.... it pushes the board all the way out. I am faily new to this machine and seem to be always discovering new challenges. You mentioned to chech the rollers via the keypad. How?

Digitalwoodshop
03-20-2009, 08:25 PM
A 1/2 inch thick or thinner will eject right out of the machine when measuring length. Minimum of 3/4 thick, some get away with a 1/2 inch sometimes. For thinner boards tape 2 together or use a carrier board. Read Tips and tricks for other pilot errors.

OR the rear roller is stuck. It waits for the rear roller to come uncompressed before it starts looking at the board detector data. Use options and sensor data to see.

AL

PlateCarver
03-20-2009, 08:40 PM
it appears that my back roller was compressed. After using air to cleanit, its still compressed so I will see in the morning....

hess
03-20-2009, 10:27 PM
I was told to losen the bolts that hold the rollers to where they drop down 1/4 to 1/2 inch then blow the heck out of them move them up and down while doing so hold your tounge to the right while doing this. I worked for me.

Like Ike said look for the stuck roller. If you are new you go to the option key I think it is 8 use the up/down keys to move in the menu till you get to Sensor check Enter then scrole till you get to rollers and it will show both upper front and back with the head up it should read open if not try the above while in this mode and move it around and see if it reeds open while moving?

Good luck
Hess

Ike
03-20-2009, 11:41 PM
I have the roller stick once in a while. It is from fine saw dust using your hands push it and and down until it becomes decompressed. I also have used a hammer handle for leverage to move the roller.

Ike

hess
03-21-2009, 12:13 AM
I like Ikes method Use the hammer!!lol

Hess

Jeff_Birt
03-21-2009, 08:50 AM
Part of my cleaning process at the end of day's carving it to shoot a few blasts of compressed air (only #40) up at the front of the rollers. To date I have only had one stuck roller message. It only takes me about 10~15 minutes to clean the machine up at the end of a day and it prevents a whole lot of problems others seem to always have...

Ike
03-21-2009, 01:36 PM
I like Ikes method Use the hammer!!lol

Hess

Hess, not quite what you think! I use the handle to wedge it against the roller to move it up and down! I don't hit it with a hammer.... well if all else fails that is !!

Ike

PCW
03-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Ike

My machine came new out of the box with a stuck roller. I just used my hands and pushed it up and down on the roller a few times and that took care of the problem. Dan

PlateCarver
03-21-2009, 03:13 PM
The hammer worked... back in business. Thaks for all of your help.

Ike
03-22-2009, 04:43 PM
The hammer worked... back in business. Thaks for all of your help.
Great!!! Glad to help, simple thing all it takes is a chip of wood! Dan I too have just used my hands, but a few times it would not budge. So I reached for the closet thing, which was my rubber hammer. I used the handle for leverage and once it moved, I then used both hands. One on each end and then blew it out and like PlateCarver back to carving!

Of course if the handle doesn't work.........lol

Ike