PDA

View Full Version : Don't want to fix machines

Norman Griffiths
03-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Here is a real gem! My wife bought me a (carve wright) for X-Mas. Turned it on used it twice It quit completly dead. Called Sears sent me to a repair center,they didn't want to except it. After some time they decided to send it to another repair facility. After2 1/2 weeks i was called and told to come pick it up. When i got there i was told it can not be fixed take it to the store for replacement. (Another week and a 1/2. Received the new machine mid Feb. In the mean time i called LHR, the tech said no problem. Bad board. Oh well no problem I'm getting a new machine. Today is the second day of dealing with a broken chuck, sears wont even order the part, they claim they are not authorised to do so. Here we go again New machine arrives March 23. Lets all run to sears for machines and service.

Jeff_Birt
03-17-2009, 01:35 PM
You are much better of dealing directly with CarveWright. Sears for the most part knows nothing about them. CarveWright makes the machine and does all the warranty work. They also have techs on staff who actually know a thing or two about it.

Norman Griffiths
03-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Jeff: I understand what you are saying and on the first machine i did contact LHR,how ever my warrenty is with sears, for the next (2) years. The idea was to determine why sears doesn't want to attempt to repair ,either at sears or LHR, just provide a new machine, to me not a very smart buisness decision. I know lhr could provide all the required info and parts,however since not purchased thru them,you can't expect them to pay for them,and with a warrenty why should I.

Jeff_Birt
03-17-2009, 01:55 PM
The machine has a 1 year/200 hour manufacturers warranty. That is handled by LHR. This has nothing to do with the Sears warranty. If you paid for an extended warranty from Sears then it should start AFTER the manufacturers warranty is over. If not you are paying twice for the same coverage.

As the machine is new I suggested you deal directly with LHR.

IMHO, the Sears extended warranty situation is not well thought out and planned for by Sears.

Wilbur
03-17-2009, 04:46 PM
LHR will work with you very good. They are the ones who make's the machine and they tell you that when you call.
I bought mine through Lowes but have not gone to Lowes for any service work.
Heck they did not even know they sold the CarveWright. I had to show them.
The reasion I delt with Lowes was because I was able to get 20% off.
Sears can be hard to deal with depending on who runs that store.

I would suggest that you deal with LHR. You will get things done. They want put you off.

Wilbur

Norman Griffiths
03-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Jeff & Wilbur: Thank You for the heads up. I can appreciate what you are saying,and I agree that the Sears extended warranty is not well thought out.Thanks Again!

mtylerfl
03-17-2009, 05:43 PM
Jeff & Wilbur: Thank You for the heads up. I can appreciate what you are saying,and I agree that the Sears extended warranty is not well thought out.Thanks Again!

Hello,

I wholeheartedly agree that when the machine is under the original factory warranty, let LHR/CarveWright handle any issues.

If you have purchased a Sears Extended Warranty (and you are out of the factory warranty), then there is currently one Sears facility that has technicians trained to work on the CompuCarve-branded machines. These Techs also have a direct contact at LHR if they ever encounter an issue that they need any help with.

The contact person for the Sears Repair Center for the CompuCarve is Diane Coker.
Her contact phone number is 214-553-6702.
The repair center is located in Garland, Texas (about 4 hours from LHR).

Ike
03-17-2009, 06:38 PM
Here is a real gem! My wife bought me a (carve wright) for X-Mas. Turned it on used it twice It quit completly dead. Called Sears sent me to a repair center,they didn't want to except it. After some time they decided to send it to another repair facility. After2 1/2 weeks i was called and told to come pick it up. When i got there i was told it can not be fixed take it to the store for replacement. (Another week and a 1/2. Received the new machine mid Feb. In the mean time i called LHR, the tech said no problem. Bad board. Oh well no problem I'm getting a new machine. Today is the second day of dealing with a broken chuck, sears wont even order the part, they claim they are not authorised to do so. Here we go again New machine arrives March 23. Lets all run to sears for machines and service.

Norman, so you are getting another machine? Even if he did call LHR for a new QC it isn't a covered part? I am not sure so I am asking not saying it as a fact. Then from the title of the post "Don't want to fix machine" Norman do you mean Sears or you don't want to repair the CC? If you don't care to work on the unit then you pay for shipping to have it repaired. I am not sure the cost for the shipping, but I have paid $80.00. Not to mention non covered parts cost.

Again I may be wrong, but it sounds like Norman was given a CC as a gift. that machine had a bad power board. He attempted to have it repaired and was told it could not be repaired by Sears. So he exchanged it and then the new CC had a bad QC. Again tried to get the 2nd machine repaired and was told by Sears they could not order the part? So Norman has exchange this CC and now is waiting for the 3rd new CC?

I agree forget asking Sears for help and go directly to LHR. But I know if it was me if I get a machine and after using it a couple times and a non covered part goes out. I would use Sears 90 return policy, I know for a fact all the techs at LHR can trouble shoot any problems.

But if I had to pay for non covered parts or shipping to send in a CC in for repair. And having my CC for a few days I would call LHR to find out the problem and still deal with Sears. If they can't or won't repair the problem, then I would continue to exchange the machine until I received one that worked!

That is why my latest machine is a CW and not a CC. You would think Sears would have figured it out by now! At the very least take the machine in and they send it to LHR for repair. It can't be cost effective to sell a machine and even an extended warranty. Then not repair a problem other then exchanging it for a new CC!

Ike

mgnagy
03-18-2009, 04:22 PM
IMHO, the Sears extended warranty situation is not well thought out and planned for by Sears.

Quoted for truth. I recently had state farm give me a policy on all my consumer electronics, it's a year of coverage and you give them the serial numbers and it covers everything including accidental damage. Since they are an insurance company there is a little bit more paperwork than your average warranty but check this out for $70 a year this is what I covered:
My 37" LCD HDTV
A 20" Widescreen iMac
2 Macbooks
an iPhone 3G
an 80GB iPod
My Xbox 360
and My Nintendo Wii

For $70 a year! I'm contemplating putting my CW on that list but I'll ride out the year warranty first :rolleyes:

Rick P
03-18-2009, 11:06 PM
Ike - LHR tech support told me the QC is NOT covered under the warranty. I am waiting for my second replacement QC. After reading about all the QC problems of late, I think LHR has a quality issue...I hope it's just a temporary issue.

jacanah
03-19-2009, 12:44 AM
It's not Rick.

I've got a machine with less than 12 hours on it and they won't get me one till the middle of next month, but only if I "call and remind Michelle Cantu that I need one."

TWOATLOW8
03-19-2009, 06:42 AM
Jacanah

What part of the country you live in. I would be glad to stop in if your close to Wi and help and bring and extra z if needed

RobertP
03-19-2009, 02:41 PM
was the QC broke when you got your replacement machine?

badger
03-19-2009, 09:54 PM
I recently had state farm give me a policy on all my consumer electronics, it's a year of coverage and you give them the serial numbers and it covers everything including accidental damage. Since they are an insurance company there is a little bit more paperwork than your average warranty

For $70 a year! I'm contemplating putting my CW on that list but I'll ride out the year warranty first :rolleyes:

With an insurance company be careful however, if you file too many claims with them they just might drop you.

Ike
03-19-2009, 11:12 PM
Ike - LHR tech support told me the QC is NOT covered under the warranty. I am waiting for my second replacement QC. After reading about all the QC problems of late, I think LHR has a quality issue...I hope it's just a temporary issue.

Thanks Rick, that proves my point and it is so sad :( If you buy a Sear's CC and if you have it for 2 days or 89 days and the QC goes bad. It doesn't make sense to pay for a replacement QC. Or if a person doesn't have the ability to replace a part and needs to send it in for repair, it makes better sense just to exchange the machine.

Sears needs to have more service centers to repair the CC, plus the QC issue needs to be addressed. I know if it was me if I had a CC and used it a few times and needed to replace a QC knowing it would cost me more money. I would take advantage of the 90 day return policy!

I know it tends to lead to poor reviews and as a current CW owner and not a CC owner it is frustrating exchanging machine one after another. But as a consumer I think I wouldn't need to pay for anything for a machine I have owned and used a couple times!

I do know this LHR is one of the best companies to deal with, when it comes to support and for all things! But their hands are tied with Sears, they can tell you what is wrong and what is covered what is not.

Still it is a bummer you call Sears and they can't fix the machine! The best thing is the return policy. As forth to the extended warranty, if they can't repair the CC why do they offer it?

Ike

Wilbur
03-20-2009, 08:57 AM
The QC.
I just replaced my QC where the tension strap that holds the bearings in place broke and fell out. This is still under warranty and did not cost me anything. I did replace it myself,
The Z-truck came with it. I had loose barns on the Z-truck.
Now I did have to put up a 40.00 core charge until the old part got back to CW. I had it going back the next day by Priority Mail and the 40.00 was never put on my Credit Card.

Now I have to say that I have had more trouble with my CW than I ever expected and I think for the money and for something being new that is to much BUT CW has been very good!

I am happy that I did not get the CC after what I have heard. If it had not been for the 20% discount I got from buying it from Lowes I would have.

I am keeping a running record of my CW and everything that that happens with it at http://www.angelfire.com/sc/candlemaker/CarveWright.html

Wilbur

Wilbur
03-20-2009, 04:55 PM
Got in the new Z board today and got it replaced. Ready to start it up. What happens? Yes, z axis stall. Got back on the phone with CW and after re checking connections decided that it may be the ribbon cable or the Y board, so, another week to get that and replace it, to see if that is the problem. Even if it is I still have a problem with the Y axis running hard and very rough on the rail.

Wilbur