PDA

View Full Version : Question about resuming a carve project

locovalley
03-15-2009, 10:38 AM
Hi gang,

I have a quick question about resuming an interrupted carve. I went into designer and inserted a carve region at 0.0" over the portion that carved before my power supply failed. What I want to know is will the machine "air carve" over the carve region or will the carve resume at the point where it stopped before?

Thanks,
Joe

DocWheeler
03-15-2009, 11:08 AM
locovalley,

I only did this once - with the version of the software that I had, it just slowly moved the board as the percent of carve increased and then started carving at the point that the zero-depth region was done.

Hexe SA
03-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Hi gang,

I have a quick question about resuming an interrupted carve. I went into designer and inserted a carve region at 0.0" over the portion that carved before my power supply failed. What I want to know is will the machine "air carve" over the carve region or will the carve resume at the point where it stopped before?

Thanks,
Joe

just did one yesterday. It will start and hang in the air for a few seconds and than move and continue carving where your zero depth ends. If it is a longer carve and you were pretty much done it can take up to 1 min before it moves and continues. I did the trout clock project in 2 and 2 1/2 hour increments over a week time and worked out great.
Eva

locovalley
03-17-2009, 10:21 PM
I got my new power supply in today and installed it, so I'm ready to start where I left off!

Just a quick question before I proceed. After the machine goes trough its measuring and bit routine it gets to the "finding surface" mode and checks right at the edge of the carve space where it's about a 1/4" deep. When it doesn't find a surface where it expects it it goes back to load bit. Now the question: if I tape a sliver of wood to bring the surface back to the board surface, it should read that and continue on, right?

Joe

Pratyeka
03-18-2009, 06:26 AM
I got my new power supply in today and installed it, so I'm ready to start where I left off!

Just a quick question before I proceed. After the machine goes trough its measuring and bit routine it gets to the "finding surface" mode and checks right at the edge of the carve space where it's about a 1/4" deep. When it doesn't find a surface where it expects it it goes back to load bit. Now the question: if I tape a sliver of wood to bring the surface back to the board surface, it should read that and continue on, right?

Joe

You could use the option on the machine that let's you choose and guide the tip of the bit to your preferred location on the board for the "finding surface" check. Go in the option menu on the machine. I don't remember the steps but it's easy to figure out once you know it's there.

locovalley
03-18-2009, 09:28 AM
Thanks, I remember reading about that somewhere in the manual or one of the tips and tricks. I'll look that up and add it to my shop notes for the machine.

I started the carve using the method I outlined and it worked well enough. I do see that it is about 1/8 inch off when compared to the first part of the carving, but it's a repeating pattern that I will be cutting into box sides so I should be able to work around that.

Thanks to everyone who posted advice.

Joe