PDA

View Full Version : Ok, one more thing

RobertP
03-14-2009, 10:47 PM
What would cause the motor to stay running after I pressed stop?
I was about 25% into a project and wanted to clean out the dust, so I hit stop, the head came to the top and stayed running, I had to actaully power off the machine to get it to stop, even lifting the cover didnt stop it.

Also, i noticed that this machine is ALOT louder than my older machine, the motor has a high pitch warbling sound to it and the shaft seems to shake a lot. I checked my bit and it is in good shape, so that's not the culprit.

Digitalwoodshop
03-15-2009, 12:02 PM
You have a Broken Capacitor C1 on the X Termination Board. You can most likely get the cut motor to start just by opening and closing the plastic cover a few times.

The C1 vibrates like the L2 in the power supply and I expect we will see more failures like this as all the machines age.

Call LHR.

AL

RobertP
03-15-2009, 01:29 PM
Thanks Al, Ill check that out.

RobertP
03-15-2009, 02:48 PM
That was the culprit.....that capacitor should be mounted in a cradle to stabilize it and prevent that type of wear, Im going to get a replacement and make one to see if it helps, usually to prevent that type of problem with vibration, components can be mounted in a wax or silica gel, but Im not sure how much heat that triac throws off so the wax may not be a good solution.

Another thing which you guys may try, is to remove the board and put rubber washers underneath the board to help dampen the vibrations.

Digitalwoodshop
03-16-2009, 10:04 AM
I put a blob of RTV on each side of the Cap to steady it. Just keep the RTV away from the Heat Sink of Q1.

AL

RobertP
03-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Thanks Al,

Would this explain the eratic motor behavior, causing the flex shaft to vibrate and such?

RobertP
03-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Just thought that I would update, got my new board installed and so far so good, it seemed to take care of the shaking that was going on with the shaft. Im off to carve!!!