PDA

View Full Version : restarting a project

chebytrk
03-14-2009, 10:42 PM
I started a project earlier today and it ran for a few hours. I then decided to stop as it was getting late and I needed to bring in my CW. I lifted the cover and it stopped OK. However, as I was rolling it back in, the power cord came unplugged. When I turned it back on it was back at the main menu options. I didn't lift up the tray or take out the board so everything is still there (more than half finished). When I re-selected my project it went thru the motion of measuring the board as in the beginning. It asked for both bits and I did that. It then came back and asked about manual jog to center or edge? I took it to mean centering on project and I said yes (or enter). Anyway, it appears that it's going to start all over however 3/4 of the project is done. Did I really mess this up? Should I just let it run all those hours again even though it's already carved out? I hate to throw away everything that I've done so far. I guess these are the trials and tribulations of being the new kid on the block (or CW)! Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, JerryB

ChrisAlb
03-15-2009, 07:09 AM
Hi Jerry,

Welcome to the world to OOPS! I've tripped over the cord, hit the stop button twice instead of hitting enter to restart and of course had the old power failure in the middle of a carve.

I've tried several different things but for me, just rerunning the project seems to be the most reliable way. I know it's a drag watching it "Air Carve" for hours (My worst was after about 85% of a 9 hour carve) but it's one of those things.

Two suggestions.

First, keep a close eye on it when it begins to make sure it's following the same path as the first time. The CW is pretty darn accurate and as long as the board you're using is straight and square, chances are it will measure it the same way.

Second, I don't recommend you leave it overnight (not running) with the rollers compressed. Unless your space is very warm (70 or above), it's possible to develop small flat spots on the rollers and this can cause a problem.

Best of luck finishing the carve. We've all been there and in most cases, it works out.

Jeff_Birt
03-15-2009, 08:27 AM
You can also bring the project back up in Designer, Drag a rectangle over almost all the area that was already carved and make the rectangle a zero height carve region. The machine will then skip that 'masked' area. NOTE: the head will go to the keypad side for 20-30 seconds while it is thinking and then it will feed the board and restart the carve.

ChrisAlb
03-15-2009, 08:39 AM
You can also bring the project back up in Designer, Drag a rectangle over almost all the area that was already carved and make the rectangle a zero height carve region. The machine will then skip that 'masked' area. NOTE: the head will go to the keypad side for 20-30 seconds while it is thinking and then it will feed the board and restart the carve.

Actually Jeff, I have tried that many times. Yes it does sit there running but for me, it takes a LONG time to advance the board to where it left off. What I found is that it sits there running until it reaches the same % it was at when it stopped and then proceeds.

I have found that it takes almost the same amount of time to reach that % point as it did originally.

Have you found different results? I suppose it's probably still better to have it just sit there and run as opposed to having the Y and Z moving for nothing.

liquidguitars
03-15-2009, 01:10 PM
Actually Jeff, I have tried that many times. Yes it does sit there running but for me, it takes a LONG time to advance the board to where it left off. What I found is that it sits there running until it reaches the same % it was at when it stopped and then proceeds.

I have found that it takes almost the same amount of time to reach that % point as it did originally.

For lager projects about 90% of the time it will just take a seconded or two to run up to the point of the new carve location after masking the pattern with a blank box like Jeff said.

it's a major saving of time not to have to start over for longer projects.

note: Some of the older builds can take longer to "run up"

LG

ChrisAlb
03-15-2009, 03:34 PM
note: Some of the older builds can take longer to "run up"
LG

That may be it then LG. The last time I masked a section I was using 1.126. I haven't tried it with any newer versions so that's good news.