PDA

View Full Version : Carving moldings

blackshamrock
03-13-2009, 09:29 AM
i recently added a molding machine to my toy collection and am interested in combining it with my carvewright to produce a carved molding. If anyone has any experience or thots on this I would apreaciate it. As the molder is a tad aggressive compared to the cw, I would hope to do the molding first. Or is this a futile road to try and take.

Thanks

cnsranch
03-13-2009, 09:33 AM
You can carve moldings, but it would take a long time depending on the detail and length of the piece.

mtylerfl
03-13-2009, 09:53 AM
i recently added a molding machine to my toy collection and am interested in combining it with my carvewright to produce a carved molding. If anyone has any experience or thots on this I would apreaciate it. As the molder is a tad aggressive compared to the cw, I would hope to do the molding first. Or is this a futile road to try and take.

Thanks

Hello,

The CW needs to have flat stock run through it. (Just wanting to make sure you're not thinking of cutting molding profiles then running those through the CW.)

I talked to a couple folks last year who specialize in old house restorations. Both mentioned that there were areas in the houses they were working on that had "bad spots" of broken or damaged molding sections. In each case, they took lengths of "good molding", scanned them with the Scanning Probe, then carved new sections with the CW. Works like a charm, and perfect for reproducing/restoring the bad sections.

For creating a lot of long lengths of molding, it is certainly possible on the CW, albeit, very time-consuming.

jpaluck
03-13-2009, 09:54 AM
I agree with cs ranch...would take quite a while...I designed a few and uploaded them to the card and it was a crazy amount of time to carve.