PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Setting

mifflinlake
03-13-2009, 06:07 AM
Just had my first chance to try the machine on the Optimum Setting. I had carved the same pattern before using "best" setting and spent many hours cleaning it up with the dremel. The same carving on "optimum" came out great, brushed it with a toothbrush when finished and it is ready for finishing. Took about 1.5 hours longer to carve, but it is well worth it. :-D

Rick P
03-13-2009, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the report Mifflinlake...I have been afraid to try the Optimum setting because it takes SOOOO much longer. I will try it sometime on a smaller pattern.

pinefd
03-14-2009, 10:12 AM
I couldn't find the "Optimum" setting...mine only goes up to "Best". Is it in the Bit Optimization tab? If so, I didn't see it there. Or might I have an older software version?

ChrisAlb
03-14-2009, 10:18 AM
It's among the quality settings when uploading to the card in version 1.132 and beyond.

pinefd
03-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks Chris. I guess I wasn't able to see that option because I'm still running 1.130. How can I upgrade to 1.132? When I use the "Help - Check for Updates" option, it wants me to upgrade to 1.133, which I don't want to do because of all the reported bugs and crashes. So how do I choose 1.132 instead...or is it no longer available on-line? Thanks!

ChrisAlb
03-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Try this link.

http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/designer_1_132.exe

pinefd
03-14-2009, 11:17 AM
That link worked great, Chris! Thanks again! I'm already up and running on the newer version.

ChrisAlb
03-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Very cool Frank. Glad it worked.

I make a habit of downloading every version as it comes out. (the full versions). I save them all in case I need to go back. I have 1.133 but haven't installed. Waiting for the fixes.

fyrpuppy
03-17-2009, 09:34 PM
OPTIMUM is incredible I had zero clean up on the one I have cut with it.

cnsranch
03-18-2009, 12:53 PM
I did a plaque with a ton of detail over the weekend. 2.45 hrs on Best, 6.75 hrs on Optimum - it's darn near perfect right out of the machine.

supershingler
03-18-2009, 01:19 PM
i also did a plaque in best first that chiped out like crazy in ash

i then did the same plaque a little bigger in ash also but using optium and it was almost perfect. 5 min. on sanding and ready to stain

i love this setting

kendall

Rick P
03-18-2009, 03:52 PM
Maybe LHR will come up with a quality setting in between Best and Optimum? Triple the cut time seems like too much!!

fwharris
03-18-2009, 03:58 PM
Maybe LHR will come up with a quality setting in between Best and Optimum? Tripe the cut time seems like too much!!

Maybe a sliding scale!

I used to think it was too much time also but have seen the results!

mtylerfl
03-18-2009, 04:03 PM
I have grown to love the new Optimal setting as well. Changed my whole way of thinking about carve times though. I used to think that 2 hours was a "long carve". Now that's "nothing" if I'm using the Optimal setting. Four, five and six hour carves are more the norm.;)

The last couple of projects I designed have a lot of fine detail in the carving and the Optimal setting makes sure that the detail is precise, virtually no chipout, and a lot less sanding after the fact. I think the results are worth the extra time. It would be very hard for me to go back to the Best setting when carving really detailed projects now.

Check out the preview of the Elegant Umbrella Stand (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?p=84698#post84698) I just finished. The backboard components were done on the Optimal setting (all the other components were fine on the Best setting since there was no fine detail on those).

mgnagy
03-18-2009, 04:17 PM
Another unmentioned benefit: Noise.

The CW seems much quieter when carving on optimum.

I almost feel like downloading the iPhone app that lets you measure noise in db and doing a comparison of the same carving on all 4 settings.

cnsranch
03-18-2009, 05:00 PM
A little preview of the carve I did over the weekend (no, this is just from Designer).

2.75 hrs on Best, 6.75 on Optimum - the result is awesome - virtually no clean-up.

Now, if only I can figure out how to finish it :rolleyes:

(There's lots of colored stains on the shopping list).

TerryT
03-18-2009, 05:25 PM
The optimal setting is great. I still do most of my carving on best. For those special or very intricate carves that are hard or impossible to sand, optimal is a work saver.

mgnagy
03-18-2009, 05:37 PM
The optimal setting is great. I still do most of my carving on best. For those special or very intricate carves that are hard or impossible to sand, optimal is a work saver.

The real question is, will optimum quality be worth all the extra hours we're putting on a machine?

want2b
03-18-2009, 09:04 PM
My guess is the difference between Best & Optimum will be affected by the hours left on a warranty. Doing 20 carves at 10 hours each on a new machine will quickly eat up the warranty, 60 carves at 3.? hours would seem a better use. Depends on your need/use for the product. To try & charge for those hours would make the results $$$$$, if you want something special for someone, what's your pricetag? Once the warranty is done, it's only time.
Rick H.

Carve Daddy
03-18-2009, 09:40 PM
I have grown to love the new Optimal setting as well. Changed my whole way of thinking about carve times though. I used to think that 2 hours was a "long carve". Now that's "nothing" if I'm using the Optimal setting. Four, five and six hour carves are more the norm.;)

WOW...you guys let your machine run the full 3,4,6,7 hours STREIGHT???
or do you stop it to cool down and take a rest?...or am I just "baby-ing" my machine...LOL
I hate to sound stupid, but, If this thing is on a 6 hour mission, do you sit there and watch over it the whole time, or just let it run, and shut the shop lights off and go to bed?...:mrgreen:

...I'm still new and asking all the dumb questions...I know, LOL ....:roll:

TerryT
03-18-2009, 11:24 PM
The real question is, will optimum quality be worth all the extra hours we're putting on a machine?

That's for you to decide. I bought my machine with the intent of putting hours on it. I'm pushing 600 hrs now and it's paid for itself 3 times over.

mtylerfl
03-18-2009, 11:56 PM
WOW...you guys let your machine run the full 3,4,6,7 hours STREIGHT???
or do you stop it to cool down and take a rest?...or am I just "baby-ing" my machine...LOL
I hate to sound stupid, but, If this thing is on a 6 hour mission, do you sit there and watch over it the whole time, or just let it run, and shut the shop lights off and go to bed?...:mrgreen:

...I'm still new and asking all the dumb questions...I know, LOL ....:roll:

Hello Mike,

When I know I've got a several hour carve, I start early in the AM. I usually check the machine every 20 minutes or so, and if I see a pile of sawdust over a couple inches tall;), I'll stop the machine and vacuum, then resume the carve. I also feel the flexshaft to see if it is getting too warm (so far it doesn't on either machine since I lubed them ONCE with chain lube w/Moly almost two years ago!)

Not uncommon to go up to 8 hours or more without much of a rest other than brief cleaning stops and bit changes. The machine is tough enough to handle it no problem, but don't run it without periodic monitoring just in case.

(A couple folks, including myself, have remote monitoring too. I use a video security system with audio and others have said they use baby monitors. Either way, we can "babysit" our machines without having to be in the same room 100% of the time!)

wasacop75
03-19-2009, 08:52 AM
With my machine so close (in the garage) i dont need to worry about a baby monitor. Actually are catching it from the loml about the noise. she said if she wanted to listen to a vacuum cleaner, i could alway do the carpets..

Not what i wanted to hear...

cnsranch
03-19-2009, 08:54 AM
A lot of folks argue that longer carves eat up warranty time....

My argument to that is to put as many hours as you can on your machine while it's under warranty (within reason, of course). Eventually, you're gonna have 200 hours on your machine. Wouldn't it be better to put them on under warranty, than have 100 hours on it when the 1 year expires, then have problems at 150 hours, and two years down the road?

Seems to me that hours are hours - it doesn't matter how many hours per week, or per month.

Your machine shouldn't fail from sitting in the shop, if it will fail, you'll find out while you're using it.

But that's just me.

mifflinlake
03-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Another thing I have found with the optimum setting is it appears the machine runs a lot smoother. Sometimes on the other settings depending on the carve the head can act just like a jackhammer bouncing around. On optimum it is a lot smoother. As far as eating up hours on warranty, who cares. I bought this machine to use and if it is going to break, it is going to break. You don't buy a new car and keep it parked in the garage because it you don't want to run the miles over the warranty. I don't cut everything on optimum, but when I need the great results, this is the setting to use.