PDA

View Full Version : Fun with 2 sided carving

AskBud
03-11-2009, 10:40 PM
I'm playing with my carver and just developed something new (to me at least). They have come out with a special unit (jig) for the Educational groups that will only produce a race car. I liked the concept, and so did lots of the others but it's not available to us as yet. I did some work last night and today and can emulate, or possibly best their inovation.

I just finished a lesson on how I set up the design. It would be something fun for my Home Schoolers.
Bud
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/CW-2%20Sided%20Carving.zip

chipseverywhere
03-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Bud
thanks for taking the time to show your techniques it has helped me shorten my learning curve. With out all the help from this forum I would sill be just making scrap pieces.
Thanks again
Glenn

Old Salt
03-12-2009, 09:21 PM
thanks Bud

I have had luck with carving fish very easy to match up . now we need to try some 2 side scans , should be very intersting. If anyone can figure it out YOU COULD!

:cool:

AskBud
03-12-2009, 10:22 PM
I need to order a probe. I have not had one for about 10 months.

I still envision 4 sided carving in the near future. All "we" need to do is work on the fine points!

Today, I've worked on a milk cow. The first one looks like a Sacred Cow from India. Her pattern lacks the depth of the Decoy Duck so when I set the depth at ".8" and Height at 900, it did not help too much. I did a 2nd one at a depth of ".5" and it's only slightly better. I, also, had to use my jig saw to finish the cut-out of the cow.:(

I just finished laying out my test for tomorrow. I made the depth less and raised the height to 950. I am also trying a Double-Down-Dome on a carve area around the cow to bring some perspective. Moreover, I'm trying a manual carve around the cow so I can eliminate the jig saw work. Needless to say, my eyes will be glued to the machine as I carve the front side. I used the circles, as I did on the other tests, so hopefully it will bypass a full depth cut in those areas.

I suppose that I'll do a special lesson if it works out the way I want.

If I succeed, I envision the Pattern Makers may scramble to make some matching Rear and Side views to compliment some of their better patterns. They may double their $$ on some old ones!

Got to go. I've got a special query form a Kim Komando member that just came in my eMail.
AskBud

chebytrk
03-15-2009, 09:18 AM
So my question on a 2 sided carving is the following........ Does the machine actually ask you to "flip" the board when it's done with one side OR does it just create the "backside" of the carving on a "new & different" section of the board. If that's the case then I guess you would need a twice as long board to cover both sides of the carving. Still learning......... Thanks,JerryB

ChrisAlb
03-15-2009, 09:47 AM
So my question on a 2 sided carving is the following........ Does the machine actually ask you to "flip" the board when it's done with one side OR does it just create the "backside" of the carving on a "new & different" section of the board. If that's the case then I guess you would need a twice as long board to cover both sides of the carving. Still learning......... Thanks,JerryB

You flip the board when the fist side is done.

Ken Massingale
03-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Nice work Bud, thanks for your effort.
Ken

AskBud
03-15-2009, 01:05 PM

WYSWYG :D
Jerry,
What You See is What You Get ;)
A true 2 sided carve is just that. The front side of the project has one carve design, and the "Rear" of that same board has the other design. In my video, I'm using the same pattern on both sides (reversing the pattern on the back) so that the contour matches exactly. When you review the video, you see where I "Centered" both sides exactly the same (on the projects shown).

If you are going to glue two carves together, you could place both parts on one longer/higher board. That is not a true 2 sided carve (IMHO).

If you want to see a 2 sided carve in action watch the CW Education Video on this link and click on "Racing": http://carvewright.com/education/educarve/EduCarveSite_racing.htm
In your mind, just replace the metal sled/jig that they use with a wooden one of your own design.
AskBud

mtylerfl
03-15-2009, 11:31 PM

Hello Jerry,

Another handy way to discover the various functions and possibilities of your machine is to run some of the Projects offered in the CarveWright Store. "Shameless" plug I know, but it is a fun way to gain useful experience while learning a LOT about what the machine can do!

Generally, folks that are Monthly Project Subscribers also are a little "ahead of the curve" in knowing what their machines are capable of, and how it does what it does.

A few two-sided carving projects (Trout Clock, Yo-Yo, Old-Fashined Wheeled Toys, Sailboat Weather Predictor) are in the CarveWright store, with some now available at Amazon.com and soon Lowes.com as well. Lots more projects are forthcoming! All projects include complete step-by-step illustrated instructions to lead you through.

All the Best...

Carve Daddy
03-16-2009, 11:41 PM
Hello Jerry,

Another handy way to discover the various functions and possibilities of your machine is to run some of the Projects offered in the CarveWright Store. "Shameless" plug I know, but it is a fun way to gain useful experience while learning a LOT about what the machine can do!

Generally, folks that are Monthly Project Subscribers also are a little "ahead of the curve" in knowing what their machines are capable of, and how it does what it does.

...I understand what you are saying, about "exploring" the possibilities of our new machine, however, I feel at $2,000 there should be a better guide to teach us, or at least include a few low skill projects to learn from....I know the American economy sux right now, but I feel a brother should be able to help a brother, without having to charge him...:roll: That is what is so great about all of you here on this forum....the willingness to share, without the need for paypal. ;);)
just my .02 cents

mtylerfl
03-17-2009, 11:21 AM
...I understand what you are saying, about "exploring" the possibilities of our new machine, however, I feel at $2,000 there should be a better guide to teach us, or at least include a few low skill projects to learn from....I know the American economy sux right now, but I feel a brother should be able to help a brother, without having to charge him...:roll: That is what is so great about all of you here on this forum....the willingness to share, without the need for paypal. ;);)
just my .02 cents

Hello Mike,

I agree - that's why I started the monthly Tips & Tricks (free to all and I don't make a dime on it from anyone either;))

There's plenty of room for both "freebie" stuff and "charge for stuff". This forum has the most willing and able folks you'll find anywhere for assistance. A lot of us spend "way too much time" on the forum, but at least for me, I enjoy contributing freely on a regular basis without expecting anything in return. This is probably your best resource for "free stuff".

All the Best...

cnsranch
03-17-2009, 12:07 PM
a brother should be able to help a brother, without having to charge him

Search thru the Pattern Sharing Depot - you'll find hundreds of mpc's that members have posted that you can simply download, and carve you heart out.

(wait, that didn't sound just right)

mtylerfl
03-17-2009, 12:17 PM
You'll find a couple really nice box projects available as well. Be sure to download and read all the Tips & Tricks - besides learning how to avoid common newbie mistakes, you'll also learn how to maintain your machine and enjoy a couple free projects that will help you get up to snuff with your machine and what it can do. There's not much lack of "cost free" information and help once you become familiar with all your resources - this forum, the Tips & Tricks, a plethora of videos, the CarveWright Tech Support staff, etc.

Be sure to view the new CarveWright Instructional video (http://www.carvewright.com/instructvid/instructvid.html) and download the new software Owner's Manual too from the CarveWright Download page: http://www.carvewright.com/cms/downloads

cnsranch
03-17-2009, 12:24 PM
I'll second the vote for Tips and Tricks - without the great info contained in them, I would still be trying to figure out how to design and carve the attached...

Eagle Hollow
03-17-2009, 12:34 PM
I'll second the vote for Tips and Tricks - without the great info contained in them, I would still be trying to figure out how to design and carve the attached...

Those are just too cool Jerry. Thanks for posting them.

Carve Daddy
03-17-2009, 01:02 PM
WOW...you guys are the BEST!!! :D
thanks for the tips, and Jerry...those signs look super sweet!...nice job!
I would give anything to be able to learn my machine that well ,and make great signs like that.;)

cnsranch
03-17-2009, 02:07 PM
I would give anything to be able to learn my machine that well ,and make great signs like that.;)

Aw, shucks :rolleyes:

Seriously, both of those are directly from MT's lesson re overhanging patterns.

rfoster
03-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Micheal, are you going to continue the Monthly Subscription series? I have been a subscriber since the first issue, am ready to renew, and hope you will continue to provide these wonderful projects. I think that the subscription package is the best deal that CarveWright has come up since it's inception. Keep those projects coming.........

Richard:D

Carve Daddy
03-18-2009, 03:03 PM
I think I'm gonna to buy some of Michael T's projects.....the trout clock looks like an indepth learning tool to start with....keep up the great work Mr.T ;)
...and I might as well join the monthly thingy too...lots of cool stuff going on there as well....:D

mtylerfl
03-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Micheal, are you going to continue the Monthly Subscription series? I have been a subscriber since the first issue, am ready to renew, and hope you will continue to provide these wonderful projects. I think that the subscription package is the best deal that CarveWright has come up since it's inception. Keep those projects coming.........

Richard:D

Hello Richard,

Thank you very much for the kind words! I agree that the deal can't be beat on the project monthly subscription service - very affordable at only 10 bucks per project.

Yes, the projects will continue! You can see a preview of the next Monthly Project at: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?p=84698#post84698

Thanks again!

atauer
03-18-2009, 03:07 PM
Hello Richard,

Thank you very much for the kind words! I agree that the deal can't be beat on the project monthly subscription service - very affordable at only 10 bucks per project.

Yes, the projects will continue! You can see a preview of the next Monthly Project at: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?p=84698#post84698

Thanks again!

Mike,

I think you forgot to attach the pics.

Unless this one is a surprise project?

mtylerfl
03-18-2009, 03:37 PM
I think I'm gonna to buy some of Michael T's projects.....the trout clock looks like an indepth learning tool to start with....keep up the great work Mr.T ;)
...and I might as well join the monthly thingy too...lots of cool stuff going on there as well....:D

Hello Mike,

I think you'll have a lot of fun with those! If you ever have any questions, you can always contact me via CarveBuddy or PM me here.

fwharris
03-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Not only are they fun projects to do, they also are a great learning tool for design layout and the thinking process of the CW.

They are also great for showing what the little CW can do. Hey I just sold 2 trout and 1 wilderness eagle clock projects. Took the eagle clock to a clock store for a show and tell with the owner and he asked to keep it so he could show it to a guy. Said that even though this was in select pine the detail was great.

geekviking
03-18-2009, 10:03 PM
When doing a two-sided carve, do you flip the board over the same way it shows it flipping in Designer? Or do you flip it length-wise to carve the second side?

Dan-Woodman
03-18-2009, 10:06 PM
Yep, flip it the way designer does , 90 percent of the time. It all depends on your layout in designer .
later Daniel

AskBud
03-18-2009, 10:25 PM
When doing a two-sided carve, do you flip the board over the same way it shows it flipping in Designer? Or do you flip it length-wise to carve the second side?

Forget the "Length". The edge that was against the Key-board turns to the other side of the machine.
AskBud

geekviking
03-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks Guys! 8)

DaveN
11-26-2010, 02:34 PM
Is there a way to start a 2 sided carving on the front insted of the back? I was carving the Autumn Leaf Dish, had the back all done, fliped it over and got 50% done on the front when I got a fatal error 2. I'd like to try to save the carving if I can, its 1/4 sawn red oak.

AskBud
11-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Is there a way to start a 2 sided carving on the front insted of the back? I was carving the Autumn Leaf Dish, had the back all done, fliped it over and got 50% done on the front when I got a fatal error 2. I'd like to try to save the carving if I can, its 1/4 sawn red oak.
Just delete the data/design, on the back, and "save-as" a new file name.
From there you may continue as you wish.
You may even wish to apply a "Zero" carve area to most of the front. There are threads that give you tips, if you want to try that as well.

AskBud

DaveN
11-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Just delete the data/design, on the back, and "save-as" a new file name.
From there you may continue as you wish.
You may even wish to apply a "Zero" carve area to most of the front. There are threads that give you tips, if you want to try that as well.

AskBud

Thank you very much

mtylerfl
11-26-2010, 03:05 PM
Hi DaveN,

Sorry to hear about the problem you experienced. I've heard the fatal error 2 can be caused from static electricity. If you were vaccuming out sawdust or have a DC system going, make sure the system is grounded, or sweep or blow out excessive sawdust build-up instead just to be on the safe side. Dry, cool conditions increase chance of static.

DaveN
11-26-2010, 03:22 PM
Hi DaveN,

Sorry to hear about the problem you experienced. I've heard the fatal error 2 can be caused from static electricity. If you were vaccuming out sawdust or have a DC system going, make sure the system is grounded, or sweep or blow out excessive sawdust build-up instead just to be on the safe side. Dry, cool conditions increase chance of static.

I was worried about dust build up so I was vaccuming every 10%.....

AskBud
11-26-2010, 03:34 PM
I'd say it's time to build or buy a top mounted vacuum head. :)
AskBud

TIMCOSBY
11-27-2010, 08:46 PM
i never vacuum and dont have any problems.