PDA

View Full Version : Where Do You Get

BradJulian
03-10-2009, 04:33 PM
Hello all,
I am having a hard time finding wood that is wide enough to do projects that I want to do. I am sure that someone on the forum knows the answer. Where can I find wood suitable for using in the CarveWright in widths about 12". Or if you can't find wood that wide what other options do I have. As always, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Brad Julian

cnsranch
03-10-2009, 04:35 PM
I really like the select pine you can find at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Unfortunately, you'll only find it in 7.5" widths.

Edge jointing and glue ups are the way to go.

atauer
03-10-2009, 04:50 PM
You can find pieces at a lumber mill. However, depending on your tastes, you may be paying more for it. Easier to glue it up like CNSRanch suggested.

AskBud
03-10-2009, 05:04 PM
I'm Lucky, I use the Amish sources. I'm tending my folk, in another town (big city), and had to drive back home to get what the "Box Stores" did not have. I just walked in the Amish yard and there it was right in front of me!
AskBud

traumfanger
03-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Hello
There is no way I could be doing what I'm doing with the CW without a planer. The one I use is a Dewalt and cost about $400. First off, you can buy rough lumber at great savings, glue edges together and plane it. Also, the planer is great for insuring consistant thickness when adding junk lumber to create a 4 inch buffer at each end of your work piece.

Neil

cnsranch
03-10-2009, 05:21 PM
I started out my hobby with a Shopsmith - it has all the attachments, planer, jointer, bandsaw, etc. You can find them used, and they last forever.

SeaCapt97
03-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Hi Brad -
I'm finding 1 X 12 (11.25) select pine at Lowes and Home Depot in Chicago Area. Interesting pricing. It cheaper to buy two 4 footers than one 8 foot. Works out great because most of Michael's projects of the month call for about two foot boards, eleven inches wide, and four footers are easier to handle and store.