PDA

View Full Version : Carved out region with text on coran

redeye_joe
03-09-2009, 12:58 PM
HI all, I am trying to carve out a region to the max depth for my project which is .8 in deep into coran, and I know that you can only remove an 1/8" at a time when useing coran. So I set up my project to carve the region to 1/8" deep, then copied and pasted it and set it to carve to 1/4", and repeated an 1/8 inch at a time until I got to the max depth. Is this correct way to go about this, and will the machine carve them out in order to not damage the bit. I did move each up after pasting, so the are in order 1/8" on bottom, and .8" on top???

then I want to carve text at the bottom of the carved out region, will the machine know to carve it out below the .8 carved region, if I put it at the top of the carings list?

HighTechOkie
03-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Unfortunately, Designer does combine areas when creating the machine code to carve (ie. it will try to carve 0.80" in one pass). You will need to create separate file for each 1/8" pass and carve each separately I also suspect you will have difficulty with carving the text afterward also.

Why do you want to remove so much material?

Rob

redeye_joe
03-09-2009, 02:13 PM
HI, I am making a filet board and want it to be out of one piece of matieral. I want the center to be cutout and leave the edge,, I realize there is easier ways to do this including laminating the edge on, but I would like to to be uniform, and out of one piece..

What if I try to add text with the last project pass?

cnsranch
03-10-2009, 09:42 AM
I know that you can only remove an 1/8" at a time when useing coran.

I must have missed that somewhere. I've been carving lithos out of .5" Corian, with the deepest part of the carve at .38". All being done on one pass with no apparent stress.

Really seems to cut like butter.

carrothers
03-10-2009, 09:02 PM
I have carved several lithos for light boxes out of .25 corian with a depth of .125 and it looks great. I have experimented with changing the height to make some of the parts "look darker" when viewed with the light behind the corian. I think by using .25 you don't have to remove as much material.

cnsranch
03-11-2009, 01:21 PM
No doubt that .25" removes less material, but I'm cheap, and got a really good deal on some .5" :D