PDA

View Full Version : Trying to register software for a used machine?

packerguy
03-07-2009, 04:33 PM
i just bought a compucarve from someone on ebay. I am trying to register the software but its telling me that the serial number is already used, by the old owner.

Ive been on hold for 45 minutes with carvewright.

What do i do?:confused:

packerguy
03-07-2009, 05:22 PM
is there anyone on the other end of the line? Almost 90 minutes of being on hold.....:mad:

www.go3d.us
03-07-2009, 05:25 PM
I would ask the owner of the machine for the user name and password that he/she used to register the machine with CW. Use that to register and then change the information to your name once you had it registered.

Ike
03-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Packerguy, on Saturdays they have a handful of techs to help.

I am curious of how much savings do you get for buying a machine from e-bay? When you buy a machine from e-bay there is no warranty no matter if the machine is under 200 hours or less then a year old.

It is good to register for tracking purpose, but you will not be able to get any warranty support. I hope you got through and welcome to the forum. This a great forum with members that will help you. I hope you bought a machine that works well for you!

Ike

fwharris
03-07-2009, 06:44 PM
is there anyone on the other end of the line? Almost 90 minutes of being on hold.....:mad:

Packerguy,

they only had one tech on the phones today. It took me several tries to get through. I did not stay on hold though. Well I did but got tired of holding on. I just kept redialing until I got through. I think he was only there until 5 PM central time.

You might have to wait until Monday now..

Ike
03-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Oh from a handful to one finger! Opps even tougher!

Ike

packerguy
03-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Packerguy, on Saturdays they have a handful of techs to help.

I am curious of how much savings do you get for buying a machine from e-bay? When you buy a machine from e-bay there is no warranty no matter if the machine is under 200 hours or less then a year old.

It is good to register for tracking purpose, but you will not be able to get any warranty support. I hope you got through and welcome to the forum. This a great forum with members that will help you. I hope you bought a machine that works well for you!

Ike

never got through.

The card had a project from the previous owner so i thought id try to get that to work. Board sensor error came up. Blew it out and tried the piece of paper on the board and shining light in there....never could get it to read above 10 or 11.

Im really angry and tired of this machine already.

Paid $800....i might be sending it back and getting a refund if Monday doesn't bring some answers.

Ike
03-07-2009, 08:04 PM
never got through.

The card had a project from the previous owner so i thought id try to get that to work. Board sensor error came up. Blew it out and tried the piece of paper on the board and shining light in there....never could get it to read above 10 or 11.

Im really angry and tired of this machine already.

Paid $800....i might be sending it back and getting a refund if Monday doesn't bring some answers.
Sorry to hear that, you may need a new board sensor. It is an easy fix, try removing it and cleaning it. It may be full of saw dust and wipe the clear plastic. Or it could be loose or have a loose wire.

It is just me but if you can send it back and get your money back might not be a bad idea. I have seen Sears sell their refurbished CC for around $999.00 with a 6 month warranty.

If the board sensor is the only trouble you have then it is worth the $800.00. They are suppose to tell you in the description the machine is sold without a warranty from LHR and ant repairs or parts will be at your expense.

Try giving the board sensor a good cleaning if it doesn't the part isn't too much to replace. Ples it is easy to replace.

Ike

Deleted and reposted to see if it went to 867?....Nope!

packerguy
03-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Sorry to hear that, you may need a new board sensor. It is an easy fix, try removing it and cleaning it. It may be full of saw dust and wipe the clear plastic. Or it could be loose or have a loose wire.

It is just me but if you can send it back and get your money back might not be a bad idea. I have seen Sears sell their refurbished CC for around $999.00 with a 6 month warranty.

If the board sensor is the only trouble you have then it is worth the $800.00. They are suppose to tell you in the description the machine is sold without a warranty from LHR and ant repairs or parts will be at your expense.

Try giving the board sensor a good cleaning if it doesn't the part isn't too much to replace. Ples it is easy to replace.

Ike

Deleted and reposted to see if it went to 867?....Nope!

Im going to go out now and see if i can make any other headway with it. Ill report my results.

Ike
03-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Im going to go out now and see if i can make any other headway with it. Ill report my results.

I hope it needs a cleaning, you know the sensor is on the bottom of the Z truck. Don't over crank the head if it locks it is easy to release. Just take it up to about an inch from the top.

You will need a stubby screw driver to take out the 2 screws. You might want to put a piece of paper under the sensor in case the screw drop.

Like I said, this forum is very helpful, so if I can't help their are many others who can!

Ike

packerguy
03-07-2009, 09:09 PM
I hope it needs a cleaning, you know the sensor is on the bottom of the Z truck. Don't over crank the head if it locks it is easy to release. Just take it up to about an inch from the top.

You will need a stubby screw driver to take out the 2 screws. You might want to put a piece of paper under the sensor in case the screw drop.

Like I said, this forum is very helpful, so if I can't help their are many others who can!

Ike

ok....i guess if i relax, read and think about it life is ok....lol

So i took the sensor off, and looked at it. No loose wires, and it didnt look like any dust under the lens. Well i figured i am going to get a few sensors anyway and decided to pop the window off. Went pretty easy. Plugged it back in, screwed it down and started her up. Put board under and cranked it down....119....:)

Used the program that was on the card to see if it would measure......and it did.

I was curious so i looked at the window under a magnifier, and it looks like there are little scratched in the plastic. Maybe the previous owner used a brush to clean it and scratched it up, causing a poor reading?

So now if i can get him to give me his sign on info, or get carvewright to register me the software im off and going.

Hopefully this was my speed bump and things are going to look up from here;)

Jeff_Birt
03-07-2009, 09:11 PM
You just need to give CarveWright a call on Monday. They will help you get the registration transferred.

Ike
03-07-2009, 09:18 PM
ok....i guess if i relax, read and think about it life is ok....lol

So i took the sensor off, and looked at it. No loose wires, and it didnt look like any dust under the lens. Well i figured i am going to get a few sensors anyway and decided to pop the window off. Went pretty easy. Plugged it back in, screwed it down and started her up. Put board under and cranked it down....119....:)

Used the program that was on the card to see if it would measure......and it did.

I was curious so i looked at the window under a magnifier, and it looks like there are little scratched in the plastic. Maybe the previous owner used a brush to clean it and scratched it up, causing a poor reading?

So now if i can get him to give me his sign on info, or get carvewright to register me the software im off and going.

Hopefully this was my speed bump and things are going to look up from here;)

Glad to hear you solved it, like I said I think that part is $15.00? You are the not the first to take the plastic off!

There will be more techs to help on Monday, the key is to keep redialing until you get someone!

Ike

packerguy
03-07-2009, 09:22 PM
i have read the shipping is $15 so buy what you need in one shot. So...what should be on my list?

2 board sensors...

What else are things that i WILL be buying in the next 6 months would you say?

Ike
03-07-2009, 09:32 PM
i have read the shipping is $15 so buy what you need in one shot. So...what should be on my list?

2 board sensors...

Well I never had any issue with it, but maybe a QC or two? With my newest CW I have only had to replace my close cover switch. But have not since I stopped using the cover for an on and off switch. If you need to stop the machine in a hurry use the cover, if just to look or clean ( which I don't vac during a carving, some member do. You need to grab the machine and I always get static shocked!) Anyway if you need to stop it other then in a haste use the stop button and remember to use the enter button to restart. If you hit stop again you will lose the project.

Ike

supershingler
03-08-2009, 10:49 AM
if your going to send it back pm me and ill come and get it. i live in south dakota and i would take another machine. just give it some time and im sure you will like it like the rest of us here

if you going to buy some parts here is what i would suggest

a board sensor, a cover switch, a set of sandpaper belts, maybe a qc and the wrenches to change it, and ifeel an extra memory card is nice so you can be carving one project and getting another one loaded . im sure others will add to this. oh and dont forget to get a teeshirt lol

kendall

ps dont be afraid to ask a question or twenty on the forum there is a lot of great people to help you solve and stumbling blocks you have, and also read, read, read, and when your tired of reading read some more.

packerguy
03-08-2009, 08:57 PM
if your going to send it back pm me and ill come and get it. i live in south dakota and i would take another machine. just give it some time and im sure you will like it like the rest of us here

if you going to buy some parts here is what i would suggest

a board sensor, a cover switch, a set of sandpaper belts, maybe a qc and the wrenches to change it, and ifeel an extra memory card is nice so you can be carving one project and getting another one loaded . im sure others will add to this. oh and dont forget to get a teeshirt lol

kendall

ps dont be afraid to ask a question or twenty on the forum there is a lot of great people to help you solve and stumbling blocks you have, and also read, read, read, and when your tired of reading read some more.

Im going to do what i need too to get it up and running. The folks i bought it from say they never registered the software and arent sure what a username and password would be. Im pretty sure they are giving me a line since you cant upload files unless the software is registered. They said they would call tomorrow and see what needs to be done.

I guess they are afraid of me having their password and username for a machine they dont have anymore.....:confused:

Ike
03-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Have you tried downloading the trial software? That way you can use the software until you get hold of LHR. Remember to keep dialing if you can't get through or if you are put on hold!

Ike

AskBud
03-08-2009, 09:07 PM
I would call LHR myself. The "seller" may not follow through. Could be one member of the family did not tell the other it was being sold, or the Unit may even be Hot.
AskBud

MikeMcCoy
03-09-2009, 08:38 AM

2 board sensors...

I have an excess of sandpaper belts. PM me your address and I'll send you a couple. You probably have the older Z motor also so if you're looking for parts to stock up on, the new Z bundle might be in line.

DStimpson
03-09-2009, 09:21 AM
No one has mentioned it yet, but you may want to lube the flex-shaft before you do too much carving.

There are many message threads related to this simple procedure.

David S.

packerguy
03-09-2009, 10:41 AM
I have an excess of sandpaper belts. PM me your address and I'll send you a couple. You probably have the older Z motor also so if you're looking for parts to stock up on, the new Z bundle might be in line.

Thanks for the offer and it does have the new style of the z-axis motor. First thing i checked when i opened the box.

packerguy
03-09-2009, 10:42 AM
No one has mentioned it yet, but you may want to lube the flex-shaft before you do too much carving.

There are many message threads related to this simple procedure.

David S.

thats what ive been told by another woodworker. Planning on doing that.

packerguy
03-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Have you tried downloading the trial software? That way you can use the software until you get hold of LHR. Remember to keep dialing if you can't get through or if you are put on hold!

Ike

i did have to do that since i have vista on my laptop....:mad: but it will not let me load anything onto the memory card because its not a licensed coppy of the software.

HelpBot3000
03-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Packerguy,

Did you ever get your registration taken care of? If you did then great! But, if you haven't, the call center is up and everyone is here. It's been a little busy but you shouldn't too hard of a time getting through. Software support will be the ones to talk to.

packerguy
03-09-2009, 04:37 PM
thanks everyone! got it all wrapped up.