PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble outlining logo

shotgun 6
03-06-2009, 06:26 PM
I'm having major "brain cramps" and need some help. I want to make desk top paper weights of walnut and Brizilian cherry with my Vietnam unit's logo carved on it to give to some special guys who served with me back in '66 -67 in the Mekong Delta. Our second reunion is coming up this October and if I don't admit that I don't know how to get rid of the background and get some help, I won't make it! I have used Photoshop Elements 5 to cut out the logo with magnetic lasso, placed it on a blank file and saved it in .gif. I set up my project in Designer and imported the image and saved it as a .ptn. When I place the .ptn on the virtual board the perimeter of the whole blank file (with logo on it) shows, rather than just the perimeter of the logo itself. From my experience I know there is most likely a very simple way to do this, but, like I said, I've got a bad case of "brain cramps." I've been puzzling over this for a week or so and can't figure out a solution that will allow me to make a .ptn of just the logo itself. An example of what I'm trying to say is the "Birds in Nest" pattern on the Carvewright web site.

MAX COX
03-06-2009, 06:44 PM
I Served With The 9th Infantry Division In Nam In 66-67. I Also Was In The Mekong Delta For A While During That Time. Shipped Me From The Jungles To The Delta And Worked With The Navy And Lived On The Ships When We Were Not On Patrol.

shotgun 6
03-06-2009, 06:59 PM
I was close by -- at My Tho with MAG for about four months then went to Soc Trang to take the 221st Recon Airplane Company. We flew O1ds and had pilots and crew chiefs in each district with two platoons at Vihn Long, one at Can Tho and one at Bac Lieu. I also flew with the helicopter companies at Vinh Long, mostly with the 114th. Some of our guys probably flew cover or surveillance for you.

Bill Poor

MAX COX
03-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Thank You For Your Service To Our Country And Welcome Home. I Waited Close To 40 Years To Hear That From Anyone. Was Not A Good Time To Come Home In That Era In Places.

wasacop75
03-06-2009, 07:47 PM
From one who just got back from his second tour to Iraq, I want to thank both of you for serving my country.

My brother spent 3 tours over there from 68-71 and i know what problems he has had. This country did you a diservice for the way you were treated when you came home, both by not seeing the dangers of what we were using over there (agent orange) and by not standing up to the people back here and declaring you as the hero's that you are.

Thanks again.

Mike

ChrisAlb
03-07-2009, 05:16 AM
I'm having major "brain cramps" and need some help. I want to make desk top paper weights of walnut and Brizilian cherry with my Vietnam unit's logo carved on it to give to some special guys who served with me back in '66 -67 in the Mekong Delta. Our second reunion is coming up this October and if I don't admit that I don't know how to get rid of the background and get some help, I won't make it! I have used Photoshop Elements 5 to cut out the logo with magnetic lasso, placed it on a blank file and saved it in .gif. I set up my project in Designer and imported the image and saved it as a .ptn. When I place the .ptn on the virtual board the perimeter of the whole blank file (with logo on it) shows, rather than just the perimeter of the logo itself. From my experience I know there is most likely a very simple way to do this, but, like I said, I've got a bad case of "brain cramps." I've been puzzling over this for a week or so and can't figure out a solution that will allow me to make a .ptn of just the logo itself. An example of what I'm trying to say is the "Birds in Nest" pattern on the Carvewright web site.

Can you post a good quality image of the logo? If so, I'm sure we can get you a pattern from it. If you can't post a large enough one here, PM me and I'll send you my email address so you can mail it to me.

Thank you for your service in keeping us free. GOD Bless.

shotgun 6
03-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Sorry, had to leave the forum last night, but bak on this morning. Thanks to each of you for responding. Thanks to each of you for your sevice as well. Mike, I'm really proud of our military today -- there is no question but that we have the best military in the world! We pray for our troops and do what we can to support them and their families.

Chris, thanks for offering to help. I am uploading the logo with this posting. Also if you could tell me what I'm not doing or what I'm doing wrong I'd sure appreciate it.

ChrisAlb
03-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Shotgun,

Got the image and I'll start on it now. As far as what you're doing wrong, it "sounds" by your description that your just not getting the background (square around it) removed completely. It has to be Zero or no color at all.

When you import the image after you've edited it, try using the raise/lower buttons in the import dialog to see if you can remove the square background.

If the background is white, it should only take a click or two on the "Lower" button to remove it. If it's black, you'd have to invert it first.

Give me like half an hour or so and I'll post a pattern for you.

MAX COX
03-07-2009, 10:10 AM
I Don.'t Know If This Is Something You Can Use. I Know That When Chris Gets You His It Will Blow Mine Away.

shotgun 6
03-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Chris

When I "cut" it out with magnetic lasso I placed it in a new "blank file." Your comment triggered a light. It didn't tdawn on me to change the background content in Photoshop Elements to "transparent." Maybe thats my problem! I'll try that and see.

In the meantime, it is very gracious of you to take the time to do the pattern for me. I'm learning!

bjbethke
03-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Sorry, had to leave the forum last night, but bak on this morning. Thanks to each of you for responding. Thanks to each of you for your sevice as well. Mike, I'm really proud of our military today -- there is no question but that we have the best military in the world! We pray for our troops and do what we can to support them and their families.

Chris, thanks for offering to help. I am uploading the logo with this posting. Also if you could tell me what I'm not doing or what I'm doing wrong I'd sure appreciate it.
The image has a background you need to remove the background; this can be done in the pattern editor. If you use Photoshop to remove the background then you need to save it with a PNG format. All other formats will add a background, except for .png or .gif. PTN attached. Hope this helps

shotgun 6
03-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Max, BJB, Chris -- I'm in "tall cotton" now. You guys have made my day! You've relieved my "brain cramps" with the solution. Many, many thanks.

BJB, I served with a Jerry Bethke in Korea several years ago. Great guy and good friend. Haven't heard from him in years. Relation perhaps?

ChrisAlb
03-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Here ya go Shotgun, give this a try. Didn't spend a lot of time on it.

Yes, you got it. The background has to be transparent or Zero. Also, in order to get a really nice carve, all those varying shades of color need to be taking care of. That's where the time comes in. I took care of most of it but a couple hours would make an even nicer pattern.

Good luck!

Kenm810
03-07-2009, 11:13 AM
If you don't mind, --I thought I'd give it Shot Too :wink:

shotgun 6
03-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Chris and Kenm810 -- thanks guys. I'm going to have a great time trying these out. I'll be running them tonight or Monday (taking a break for a colonoscopy Tuesday). Thanks again!

ruggybear
03-07-2009, 09:09 PM
You won't have time to carve on Monday while preparing for Tuesday!!!!! Been there Done That!!!!!

Hope it is negative!!!

Edit: By negative, I mean they find nothing out of the ordinary.