PDA

View Full Version : Straight cuts rough

usd5000000
03-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Hello Someone who can help,

I just turned on my machine and tried my first project. Besides the freak out when the homing sensor broke off onto my project, I was unhappy with the cut quality.

I have tried making my clock pattern a couple ways, but only tried the one attached. I made a pattern in Corel, used "outline pattern" and cut it out.

Did I leave it too jaggy? I tried smoothing the patter a few times and erasing some noise pixel, but did I miss something?

I also made a pattern w/ splines in designed, but did not try it yet. I couldn't get the curves as smooth transitioning between splines.

Please give me your advice old and wise forum....

Jeff

MikeMcCoy
03-06-2009, 12:27 PM
It's leaving a rough edge since it's carving just what's on your pattern. You can see the roughness when you zoom in and roll the pattern over.

usd5000000
03-06-2009, 01:47 PM
It's what I thought, but how do I get the outlining to also smooth out the roughness?

I ran smoothing about 5 times in the pattern editor and was hoping the outline pattern function would also do a little smoothing. Looks like it won't.

Is it hopeless and with a geometric type shape should I just continue to tweak my designer splines version? It's not as easy as in Corel to tweak the shape.

Thanks!

Jeff

HighTechOkie
03-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Make sure the image in Corel is the finished size. Export it as a png at 128dpi. Import into Designer and outline. Should come out clean.

If you are still having problems, send me a copy of the Corel file and I'll convert it for you.

Rob

rob @ slaughterbeck(dot)net

usd5000000
03-06-2009, 02:49 PM
I stretched it a lot in designer. I also used JPEG. I didn't know it mattered.

I'll remake the pattern and re-cut. Hopefully it'll work out right this time.

Hopefully I can move to Cherry after my next trial.

Learning.....

Thanks everyone.

Jeff

James RS
03-06-2009, 03:58 PM
I've also created a rectangle in corel and filled it with white and set it to the back and put my design it. It seemed to help also,then saved it as a png

AskBud
03-06-2009, 04:15 PM
I stretched it a lot in designer. I also used JPEG. I didn't know it mattered.

I'll remake the pattern and re-cut. Hopefully it'll work out right this time.

Hopefully I can move to Cherry after my next trial.

Learning.....

Thanks everyone.

Jeff

I took your original JPG design and played with it. I traced your inner and outer path(s) using a series of Arcs; and lines (mostly arcs).

I connected two arcs to make the upper inside cut-out to begin my test. After these arcs were made, I moved the RED End-markers/Points until they glowed. This indicates that they become one point. Once this was accomplished, on both ends, I set the cut-path. I finished this process by deleting the original cut-path that had been established.

I then tackled the outer edge, which took some time and many arcs. I then set that cut-path as well. I did not do the other inside cut-out as I knew it would work the same. As in the above, I finished by deleting the original outer cut-path.

By using the connected Arc and Line method. I eliminated the "Noise" of your original drawn pattern.

I could have made an AVI lesson of the process, and still can if necessary, but I think you can understand the process. Just start with the simple two arc section and then take a larger bite of the elephant.
AskBud

mtylerfl
03-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Hello,

Perhaps you could start with the Treble Clef from a Music Font (Shift+7 - i.e., the ampersand is the Treble Clef symbol for most music fonts), click outline, click cut path tool, delete any unwanted outline(s), draw a circle where the clock goes, or manually draw the shape required for the clock insert and make it a cut path.

If you have overlaps of another cut path (like in my example which took about 20 seconds to create) - I honestly don't know if the software is smart enough to detect that and automatically place tabs accordingly. Might want to assign "a bunch" of tabs to overlapping cutpath areas, just to be safe.

(This is an example of where it would be handy to be able to view tab placement on-screen.)

usd5000000
03-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Gentlemen,

Thanks a bunch!

Finally getting started. Lot to learn.

I don't think I need to re-trace with arc and line since I've already made a spline version. The designer spline version was a little "bumpy" so that's why I tried using Corel. Didn't think I could use arcs and lines for a free-form shape like this.

Mr. Tyler's idea of using a font symbol is interesting. I may try that for my Bass Clef or some other symbols or if I get too frustrated.

I'm glad I'm starting w/ a "simple" project.

Thanks again.

Jeff