PDA

View Full Version : Grooves and slots

starman2
03-06-2009, 06:56 AM
I know this has been asked before, but I cant seem to find the thread.

I want to produce a slot .75" (3/4") wide by .375" (3/8") deep.

Im attempting to do this with the 3/8 inch straight bit and a rectangle but the software will not allow me to set the bit inset to half the bit diameter (.187"). It will only allow a .125 inset. which produces a slot wider than what I want. Im sure there is a better alternative to my method. Any suggestions?

mtylerfl
03-06-2009, 08:29 AM
I know this has been asked before, but I cant seem to find the thread.

I want to produce a slot .75" (3/4") wide by .375" (3/8") deep.

Im attempting to do this with the 3/8 inch straight bit and a rectangle but the software will not allow me to set the bit inset to half the bit diameter (.187"). It will only allow a .125 inset. which produces a slot wider than what I want. Im sure there is a better alternative to my method. Any suggestions?

Don't use a rectangle - draw lines, assign the 3/8" bit, space the lines to make your .75" width.

Or - just make your rectangle a carve region and let the 1/16" carving bit hog it out - you can paste a duplicate of the rectangle directly over the region with the 1/8" straight bit (aka the cutting bit) assigned to the outline to make the interior walls perpendicular to the surface.

Jeff_Birt
03-06-2009, 08:52 AM
I generally just use lines as Michael describes. I have found that joining one end of the lines will let the machine keep the bit down as it moves over to start the next line (saves a 'bit' of time :)). In this case you could also use a 3/8" wide rectangle as the center of the bit will travel down the line resulting in a 3/4" wide slot.

starman2
03-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Dont know what Id do without you guys! <LOL> Thanks once again for helping out. Its much appreciated