PDA

View Full Version : www.Educarve.com

LittleRedWoodshop
03-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Take a minute and check this out. They just keep coming out with fun stuff. This site is directed at educators, but I thought it would be fun to share. www.EDUCARVE.com (http://www.carvewright.com/education/educarve/EduCarveSite_Home.htm)

AskBud
03-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Take a minute and check this out. They just keep coming out with fun stuff. This site is directed at educators, but I thought it would be fun to share. www.EDUCARVE.com (http://www.carvewright.com/education/educarve/EduCarveSite_Home.htm)

Check out the Racing Tab. Looks like some new Jigs/Sleds, and options, are coming. I envision possible Figurines down the pike (so to speak).

Video is due 3/6/2009.
AskBud

Deolman
03-05-2009, 11:29 PM
OK, what software imports the .stl file extension and how do I get hold of it?

AskBud
03-05-2009, 11:33 PM
OK, what software imports the .stl file extension?

CAD for one. see: http://filext.com/file-extension/stl

Deolman
03-05-2009, 11:39 PM
No Bud, not what I mean. On the racing tab at
http://www.carvewright.com/education/educarve/EduCarveSite_racing.htm

The third bullit down says:

Software allows import of STL models.

Am I wrong in assuming the Designer software may allow import of .stl files?

AskBud
03-05-2009, 11:51 PM

The third bullet down says:

That is what I get from to wording above the bullets.

"Dragster Series: the jig, which fits into the CarveWright machine, & the software, used to import the .stl formatted dragster design. Students import their .stl car design into the CarveWright Designer Software and upload ready to carve. The wood blank is loaded into the carving jig and carved on one side. After that side is complete, the wood blank is flipped, and the second side is carved. The result; a fully three dimensional dragster car!"

As I said, I'm watching for more Options & Jigs. Surely it will not be just for Educators!
AskBud

AskBud
03-06-2009, 12:01 AM
They say the Dragster is a 2 sided carve. However, I envision a 4 sided carving jig not far behind. I would think we could make figurines, or whatever, out of stock about 3 1/2" thick with a 4 sided jig and 1/4 turns.
AskBud

HighTechOkie
03-06-2009, 09:09 AM

The third bullit down says:

At this time, the Dragster Series is a seperate license for educators that will import .STL. This is not something currently part of the standard Designer license.

Rob

jessrice
03-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Previous versions of designer allowed direct importing of .stl. Version 1.125 allowed it.
I guess they removed it so they could charge extra for it now as an advanced version?

Taken from 3D Model Club

Carvewright can open STL files directly.

The procedure basically is like this.
1. Run Designer
2. Cancel the screen asking you to create a new project or open an existing project
3. Click File-->Open Select from the drop down Files to Open *.stl file
4. Browse to the folder where you have the STL files saved and click on Open. Wait for file to Load.
5. Select Unit to AutoSize and click on OK.
6. In the following screen if you don't know the actual dimensions of the file enter a value like Width 5 inch and Depth 0.8 (Designer usually gets the wrong values in our experience)
7. You should see the model in 3D on the display.
8. If the model is satisfactory Click on File and you can choose to Save is as a PTN, or Save the pattern to Library.
9 You then can go back to your project or create a new one and place the pattern into it.

Jesse

twiceretired
03-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Scan it, jig it, and cut it, all four sides. I’m glad that the ability to import .STL has surfaced AGAIN, that should mean that we, as home or shop carvers will see it soon, maybeeeee, hopefully, please. That jig design should also open many doors of thought. The kids today have a golden opportunity; I hope they take advantage of it. Also that racing car gig defies all that we know about jigs so far.

I should have waited till Jessrice posted, sorry. Thanks to all that pass on tips and tricks, it has been a great help, and it also gets the old mans thinker working.

LittleRedWoodshop
03-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Has anyone seen the video that is on that website......... VIDEO (http://www.carvewright.com/education/educarve/EduCarveSite_dragvid.htm)

Kenm810
03-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Yep, I just watched it, :cool:
http://www.carvewright.com/education/educarve/EduCarveSite_dragvid.htm

Jeff_Birt
03-06-2009, 12:32 PM
I guess they removed it so they could charge extra for it now as an advanced version?

This type of snide comment is completely uncalled for. It is destructive to a friendly atmosphere and does absolutely nothing to help all the great members of this forum. The new STL import code is all new and allows for some very neat, advanced stuff.

cnsranch
03-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Re the Dragster Series -

You'd be BMOC with the Cub Scouts at Pinewood Derby time, wouldn't you?

Ike
03-06-2009, 02:56 PM
Re the Dragster Series -

You'd be BMOC with the Cub Scouts at Pinewood Derby time, wouldn't you?

Wow we have come along way from the kids making the cars! Funny story when my boys were younger they were part of our Church program Royal Rangers. They too have a pinewood derby, well the first time entering my two older boys about 8 and 9. I had them design the cars and I cut the rough shape out and had them sand a paint the cars.

Well in the contest they have the fastest cars of course and best of show. Well the boys who won the best of show had these neat cop cars with lights and everything! So detailed that an average 8 or 9 year old could never make on their own!

Granted it was a father and son event, but that day I learned a lesson! From that day on until they lost interest, my 3 boys never lost 1st place for best of show!

Still it is so cool the CW can make theses cars and opens up future projects such as duck decoys etc. I just hope those of us who are not educators can buy new software and sled!

Ike

Router-Jim
03-06-2009, 03:14 PM
I see carved Cabriole legs in the near future. Sweet! :cool:

jessrice
03-06-2009, 03:53 PM
This type of snide comment is completely uncalled for. It is destructive to a friendly atmosphere and does absolutely nothing to help all the great members of this forum. The new STL import code is all new and allows for some very neat, advanced stuff.

This is not a snide comment, these are the types of comments should able to be asked about about a machine that i bought directly from Carvewright for an additional 200.00 more than Amazon so I could support them directly. I also have the full bit set and probe, so i have paid my money to ride and should be able to make comments if its bumpy.

By doing so I knew I gave up any right to return it someplace easy like sears or amazon. So I knew what i was doing. It isn't like i came out swearing and cussing, about what a piece of crap it is, I LIKE IT! And I defend it to others when they don't have a legitimate complaint.

Now for the meat of my post. During my pre research, i did find that 3D Models use to supply .stl files for carvewright users. They even have a carvewright.

So after i bought it and found out that the import of stl's was removed and I couldn't directly import stl's it was a let down. Now I question that they removed it, and it may be an extra charge as part of a new program, and i am accused of making this an unfriendly place?

This is what people mean when they are scared to post anything here negative about the machine. I do appreciate that you didn't just delete it. Because honestly I have seen many posters on other forums and sites (woodnet, sawmillcreek, and amazon) where people go to actually badmouth the carvewright because they couldn't post here.

Now I understand that bad posts can affect carvewright and other vendors of carvewright products, and by no means do i I want to see support and extras dry up, but when something i invest in seems quirky I should be able to speak up among friends, rather than be pushed away as an enemy. With the economy failing, not many people will have the extra money for a carvewright, and those that do should not be pushed away or led to believe that the carvewright is a plug and play toy because of a sanitized site with only positive moderator approved posts.

I will say thanks to you Jeff for looking out for the place and carvewright, but I am afraid that if every minor comment that is negative is removed or chastised, you will actually do more damage by pushing people away. I know you would prefer that carvewright flourish so i hope you will understand my position.

Honestly, even if the info on 3D models is incorrect, and I am full of Crap, I still feel strongly about the ability to express feelings as long as they are not done in a temper tantrum, or personal attacks. And if a person is wrong, then let honest or constructive posts discredit them to future readers looking for info so they can make up their own minds.

And if your curious, if they do sell the option, I will be lined up to buy it.

thanks
Jesse

Digitalwoodshop
03-06-2009, 04:17 PM
I was BLOWN-AWAY by the Racing Jig.... I quick called Chris and he had been too busy and had not seen it.... He is now checking it out.... WOW.... was his first words....

That is GREAT... Plus the Ball Nose Bit.....

Get em hooked in School.... WOW....

AL

ChrisAlb
03-06-2009, 04:40 PM
You're right Al, this is WAY COOL!! Thanks for the call.

That jig is much like what I had in mind for doing short legs and statues and such. Of course mine would have been some bulky thing made from wood...LOL

I would be interested to know if we can get the jig and software and how much?

Oh to be a kid in this day and age.....http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon10.gif....lucky little buggers....LOL

James RS
03-06-2009, 04:49 PM
I'm a little dissapointed and excited, excited that there's a posssible chance of doing a 3d carve using a jig and importing stl files. Disappointment in the fact that the stl import used to be in the software and was removed I like what the Carvewright does and I have projects lined up and plan on buying more bits here soon. And thanks to all the great people on this site who share there experiences and trouble shooting help.

Jim

Jeff_Birt
03-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Jesse, your right I was a bit harsh. In all fairness though your statement does read a bit on the snide side and more than anything I was trying to convey that we can all ask questions and share ideas while still maintaining a friendly atmosphere. That same idea applies to all, so I need to apologize to you for being a bit edgy in my response.

The question you raised is a good one though and deserves a proper answer. STL import has never been an official part of the Designer package, and was never advertised as such. An internal test import function was left turned on in a previous release though.

The new STL import functionality is just that, all new. The CW software guys have put a tremendous amount of effort into this feature as well as the others related to the recently released educational stuff. (Not to mention the really nice videos just released.)

jessrice
03-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Jeff,
thanks for the clarification on both topics. With more thought I could have probably worded my original post better.

I thought that when you said it was NEW in your post, that meant they did make improvements to the old version which may not have imported perfect anyway.

I guess it could be compared to centerline text, where we can all carve text, but if we want the extra sign type carving we can buy the option, and not make everyone pay for something they may not use.

I can see where they are going with the education series, as my step dad is a technology teacher, (actually state awarded a few times), and I have helped him run a few of the CO2 races in the past. The carvewright does adds a technology step forward to this classroom favorite.

Like others posted, i hope the offerings are available in to us non-educational folks, in both packaged and un-packaged versions like the probe.

Looking forward to more information to come.

Have a good weekend carving,
Jesse

Deolman
03-06-2009, 06:30 PM
My son who has been a design draftsman for over 20 years. He has been able to create some awesome designs for me in Solidworks, but quite frankly, it is a major headache to try and get them to a useful medium in which the CarveWright can transform them to wood. So much so he has just about given up helping me in this manner. I would hope that in the very near future the ability to import STL files will be made available to the average user. I also like the ideas of the new style jig for the dragsters - I see great possibilities. But, I do have concerns about putting a metal sled in where a bit might hit it. So now I have stated my piece, I would like to say I would like to be one of the first in line to obtain the option if it falls within an affordable range. Let me at it!!!

earlyrider
03-06-2009, 08:31 PM
The new jig looks enticing; many possibilities open up with it. I would like to see next step-- a fourth (rotational) axis. It might take a couple more weeks to finish the program mods and engineering, but I'll be patient.
Is it ready yet? How 'bout now? Awww!
Ron

liquidguitars
03-06-2009, 10:51 PM
I'm a little dissapointed and excited, excited that there's a posssible chance of doing a 3d carve using a jig and importing stl files. Disappointment in the fact that the stl import used to be in the software and was removed I like what the Carvewright does and I have projects lined up and plan on buying more bits here soon. And thanks to all the great people on this site who share there experiences and trouble shooting help.

Jim

Jim,
You have a point. I got the carvewright when i saw the full list of software in Designer a few years back, but soon the new stuff will be here..

LG

liquidguitars
03-06-2009, 11:00 PM
I see carved Cabriole legs in the near future. Sweet! :cool:

You will still have the setback of having only 1" of depth so it's .8" X 2.. it will be . I know I just spent the last few days cutting up one of my 3D necks. "without the help of CW's STL inporter" and its a job to make it work.

LG