PDA

View Full Version : Spray mount - sign painting

cperk
03-05-2009, 08:04 AM
Theory on Sign Painting Cheat – Spray Mount Adhesive

I would like to know if this theory is applicable or something not to be tried
Pre-Paint or Pre-Stain board Dark or Light Color
With the use of “Spray adhesive mount” – paste paper over pre-painted/stained board surface
Cut numbers only with centerline text
With paper mask still in place - Use spray paint to paint in numbers in contrast color

Or

Am I just asking for trouble to attempt this
thanks

For Additional Clarity - not looking at permanant adhisive but the temporary spray mount that would be used for mounting a scroll saw pattern

MikeMcCoy
03-05-2009, 09:09 AM
A lot of people use self adhesive paper to do that. A possible drawback to the spray would be getting all the adhesive off.

cnsranch
03-05-2009, 09:15 AM
I've had great luck with 2" clear packing tape. But, the tape had to be affixed well - I use a "J" roller to get it set well.

Digitalwoodshop
03-05-2009, 09:15 AM
I have used Vinyl Transfer Paper and blue tape. Both work good.

AL

LittleRedWoodshop
03-05-2009, 09:45 AM
I have found a much cheaper way to mask this stuff off. When your home improvement store runs their Contact Paper on clearence - usually for less than a dollar - buy every roll they have, or as many as you can carry. It is sticky enough to adhere to your project but will also come off easily. CarveWright cuts it great.

Ken Massingale
03-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Mike's right, as usual! :-)

I tried the spray adhesive and probably will remember it forever. Bad, bad, bad.

All the other suggestions work well, I use self stick shelf paper from Wally World.