PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Reviews

LittleRedWoodshop
03-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that our beloved CarveWright machine is being trashed on Amazon. I would love to go in and defend my beloved CarveWright machine, but alas. I have never purchased anything from Amazon. So, they won't allow me to post a review.

If you (any of you) could find it in your heart to go to Amazon and post a positive review about your experiences with the CarveWright I would greatly appreciate that. We all know that "nay sayers" will speak up long before the positive folks.

NOTE: guess I'll have to buy something from Amazon.

Rick P
03-05-2009, 12:15 AM
I bought a carving bit from Amazon. But, I bought my CW from The Little Red Woodshop. My cover switch stopped working and I'm having QC problems...other than that I'm happy with the CW. If a person has low woodworking skill and low technical know-how I can understand then having problems with their CW. And then that person is going to vent on Amazon. I will post a positive review on Amazon.

LittleRedWoodshop
03-05-2009, 12:31 AM
THank you for the post............

Jeff_Birt
03-05-2009, 08:28 AM
I have purchased from Amazon before and Craftsman. Neither one of them would post my review. I understand why some folks get upset but I cannot fathom the amount of BS present in some of the views. I have read things like the customer support folks barley speak English, and customer support is terrible. Both of which I know is completely untrue.

You almost never see any real technical detail mixed in with all the griping which leads me to believe that most of these poor folks didn't know what they were buying and compounded the problem by not taking the time to learn about it. The gist of my review involved many links to the various educational resources available to learn about the machine and software.

My favorite review of all time was the guy who said ,"Oh my god it was so loud I had to take it back!" Think he ever owned a power tool before in his life?

mtylerfl
03-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Thanks Jason for bringing that up. I meant to mention it last week when I noticed the Amazon ranking was unusually low.

It is my opinion that the disproportionate number of "unhappy" reviews compared to us "happy owners" gives an extremely false impression to a potential owner. That's a shame - in many ways. Mostly, it could deprive someone of the enjoyment and sense of accomplishment we have experienced by adding the CarveWright machine to our woodworking arsenal. Hard for me to imagine "life before CarveWright"!

I certainly would like to see more reviews posted from machine owners to present a more accurate account of how things really are! I posted my own review and some photos of my projects a long time ago. Every now and then, I log in to Amazon to add more project photos as time goes on.

So, thanks again for bringing this to our attention, Jason. It's time for us to bring some sensible balance (which is long overdue) to the reviews!

AskBud
03-05-2009, 09:33 AM
Thanks Jason for bringing that up. I meant to mention it last week when I noticed the Amazon ranking was unusually low.

It is my opinion that the disproportionate number of "unhappy" reviews compared to us "happy owners" gives an extremely false impression to a potential owner. That's a shame - in many ways. Mostly, it could deprive someone of the enjoyment and sense of accomplishment we have experienced by adding the CarveWright machine to our woodworking arsenal. Hard for me to imagine "life before CarveWright"!

I certainly would like to see more reviews posted from machine owners to present a more accurate account of how things really are! I posted my own review and some photos of my projects a long time ago. Every now and then, I log in to Amazon to add more project photos as time goes on.

So, thanks again for bringing this to our attention, Jason. It's time for us to bring some sensible balance (which is long overdue) to the reviews!

Now might be a time, for you, to include the new Instructional Video on that site (if possible).
AskBud
http://www.carvewright.com/instructvid/instructvid.html

LittleRedWoodshop
03-05-2009, 10:08 AM
that still amazes me that someone returned the CarveWright because it was TOO LOUD - kinda like the guy that brought one back to Sears because he didn't have a computer.

Sounds to me like folks are buying this Machine as an impulse buy and then complaining about the fact that they didn't do their homework.

brdad
03-05-2009, 10:55 AM
As mentioned before, people are much quicker to review a product they had a bad experience with than one they love. On the other side, it seems many who write favorable reviews often do so in way to short a period after purchase to give a valid rating. As indicated, reading the reviews makes much more sense than just looking at the number of stars - for anyone to expect any machine turning high RPMs to be silent is foolish.

Regarding the subject of a buyer not knowing what they were getting into...
When I first considered the CW, I looked at the web site to see what it was all about. Pretty much nothing. Just a sales pitch about how great the machine is. If you look at the page titled "The Machine (http://www.carvewright.com/cms/machine)", there is no mention of needing a computer. There is mention of software, and don't get me wrong, I immediately assumed I'd be designing products on the computer, not on the machine - but I can see where someone might get one on impulse. And yes, the software page does say PC or Mac. There is also no detailed specs - decibel level, maximum carving depth, weight, dust collection, and so on. While a sales pitch page does get the sales, it also promotes purchasing without thinking.

Fortunately for me, I am kind of anal about researching, and I read nearly every post here, all the pages on the CW site, YouTube videos, and other internet resources. I bought a new but previously purchased CW, so I knew I would be on my own, no warranty. I have had and still have some small issues with the machine. I think there is room for improvement in hardware, software, customer service, and web presentation. But I am glad I have it. I am more glad the this forum is here to discuss CW issues.

mtylerfl
03-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Hello,

The frequently asked questions page (http://www.carvewright.com/cms/faq) is where I got much of my initial information about the machine, and that's usually where I "point" new folks inquiring about the machine along with a recommendation they visit this User Forum and the Customer Gallery (http://www.carvewright.com/gallery/).

That gives them a really good idea of what the machine is all about and what they can create with it.

Deolman
03-05-2009, 11:57 AM
I would be more than happy to do a positive review on the CarveWright at Amazon. Please help me out and give me some suggestions on various items to comment on before I do so.

Spanglerg@hotmail.com
03-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Great Summation brdad, I couldn't agree more!

As mentioned before, people are much quicker to review a product they had a bad experience with than one they love. On the other side, it seems many who write favorable reviews often do so in way to short a period after purchase to give a valid rating. As indicated, reading the reviews makes much more sense than just looking at the number of stars - for anyone to expect any machine turning high RPMs to be silent is foolish.

Regarding the subject of a buyer not knowing what they were getting into...
When I first considered the CW, I looked at the web site to see what it was all about. Pretty much nothing. Just a sales pitch about how great the machine is. If you look at the page titled "The Machine (http://www.carvewright.com/cms/machine)", there is no mention of needing a computer. There is mention of software, and don't get me wrong, I immediately assumed I'd be designing products on the computer, not on the machine - but I can see where someone might get one on impulse. And yes, the software page does say PC or Mac. There is also no detailed specs - decibel level, maximum carving depth, weight, dust collection, and so on. While a sales pitch page does get the sales, it also promotes purchasing without thinking.

Fortunately for me, I am kind of anal about researching, and I read nearly every post here, all the pages on the CW site, YouTube videos, and other internet resources. I bought a new but previously purchased CW, so I knew I would be on my own, no warranty. I have had and still have some small issues with the machine. I think there is room for improvement in hardware, software, and customer service, and. But I am glad I have it. I am more glad the this forum is here to discuss CW issues

LittleRedWoodshop
Just speak from your heart - that is always the best policy.

Jeff_Birt
You can also vote for each review on whether it was helpful or not. The helpful ones show up first. I just reread all the reviews and comments and must say that a few folks sounded like they had a genuine problem but just got frustrated and took it back rather than try and find a solution to the problem. There are three reviews that are downright bogus as well.

ironsides
03-05-2009, 12:09 PM
When I first discovered the CW system, I searched the web to find any reviews about the pro's and con's of the machine. I was very impressed with the design software free download and played with it for the full 30 days.

I was concerned though about all of the negative reviews until I stumbled onto the CW Forum. The forum was full of happy user comments and suggestions.

I held off for about two years before purchasing the system. Then last October, CW came to Salt Lake City area with the tool show. After watching the demonstration and free classes, I finally purchsed the machine.

I am a retired machinist and Mfg Engineer and know what it takes to design and build a machine like the CW. It truly is a brilliant work of engineering and manufacturing. And the price is hard to beat, especially when you consider the software that comes with it.

I have had a great deal of pleasure and success working with the CW and am very pleased with it. I have been wheelchair confined for the last 35 years and finally found a hobby I can do.

This machine is great!!!!!!!!!

Ironsides:):):):)

Deolman
03-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Jason, I already planned to speak from the heart. I was hoping for any suggestions on what my feeble mind couldn't remember.

Ironsides, I saw you there at that show in SLC.

Digitalwoodshop
03-05-2009, 01:20 PM
I too am disheartened at the mass amount of Negative Postings.

I believe is is human to blame everyone else for things that we should take responsibility for.

For once I would like to see a Review Post go like this.....

I bought the machine to keep up with the Jones next door and what the heck, I had room on my credit card. I opened it up and turned it on and it did all kinds of strange things... I was overwhelmed with my insecurity and inability to make it work and I took it back. I really have trouble making a pencil sharpener work properly so I knew this was over my head. Too bad I am not smarter with mechanical things.

But no.....

I bought this piece of Junk............. Listen to me because I am a legend in my own mind.

Legend.. = Leg End = Foot in Mouth....

AL

supershingler
03-05-2009, 02:42 PM
i jsut went in and read all the reviews and just picked myself off the floor from laughing about some of the negative reviews.

i especially like the one that had the bad battery chord that lhr charged him for and he never reccieved. probably never recieved it because there isnt one on the cw.

i also read all the comments and got a chuckle or two

i just wish i was signed up at amazon to do a review

there was one that was negative that told about this post. my question to him is if you have a junk pile like you say how come your hanging around the forum?

'nuff said

kendall

cowetaron
03-05-2009, 02:56 PM
you know you can't fix stupid. I'm still upset about my new car that I bought and they said I wouldn't have to do anything to it for a 100,000 miles. It quit on my the 2nd week I had it. Seems you still have to put gas in it. Who'd thought.
And I really hadn't noticed the noise my machine make's because I can barely hear it over the planer and routers that are running.
Appreciate all the help the forum here has been. Luv. my machine.

luckettg
03-05-2009, 05:16 PM
You know guys, and I say this with some trepidation, many of the Amazon reviews were specific as to the problems encountered, and that sort of postings are not welcome here. If I had the choice to make again, that was made about 15 months ago, I would have preferred a bigger band saw for resawing than our CW machine. That is hindsight, and most of the above postings come across more like a discussion of politics, as do some of the reviews on Amazon. As Jeff has said many time, this forum here is sponsored by CW, and negative stories of problems, lack of resolution, etc., are really not welcomed here and often eliminated from the forums. That just pushes people over to Amazon. Maybe we need a complaint/wining subsection that the rest of us could then ignore.

On the flip side, there are some really off the wall comments on the Amazon reviews. Do the Ebay search and all you will find is new machines and parts and from venders, which makes the reviewer stating "that must be why so many machines are on Ebay", or something to that effect. I posted a comment on his comment, which is what you should be doing too if you see things the reviewer is misrepresenting. Another example is the language issue, which puzzled me until I thought about how CW was handling things after the hurricane. Maybe they had a temporary answering thing setup? I have not encountered any language problems, but then Texas is home to me..:)

I can add one more thing to this. I work for Whirlpool, developing products, and we would never get away with putting a product like the CW on the market. It is the claims on the boxes and the magazine ads that would be the killer.

I know you folks will not like my opinions, and that is why I fear even making them here, but it bothers me to no end to not be able to freely converse on a public forum about all sides of an issue. I hang here because of the many potential problems with my machine and in the hope of being able to help or get help. My limited experience with CWs customer service a year ago, the last time I tried using them, did not impress me.
Greg Luckett

supershingler
03-05-2009, 05:30 PM
gregg

i think you should alway be able to vent a little on the forum also but there is a difference in constructive venting and badmouthing. i have vented a couple of time on here but hopfully in a construcctive way to help other prevent the problem i have encountered. the forum has been great to help me through this. i just think some people have nothing else to do sometimes but to dig up something to bitch about. believe me i work with the public everyday and everyone expects a lifetime warranty.

i have had pretty good luck with my machine and i really feel sorry for some who havent.

i hope people come here to learn and how to avoid problems not bash the product because they dont know enough about the problems.

i hope this doesnt start an argumen as that is not what it is intended to do

i always tell people that ask me about my machine that anyone can buy an airplane but it take a little time to learnn how to make it fly

kendall

luckettg
03-05-2009, 05:42 PM
That new PDF manual, the Carvewright Software Manual is a HUGE step in the right direction and CW should be getting lots of compliments for it. Now that it is here I think a lot of the complaints and problems with that aspect will be at a very low level. I printed it out, copying both sides of the paper. It would be great if they could offer printed copies, for a fee of course. I called a printer and it would have been close to $100 for it to be printed in color and bound. It was around $.06/sheet, not color, with 3 holes for putting into a 3 ring binder.

Local service of machine hardware problems would be a lot better and not cost so much for the shipping. It will be nice if they ever set those up. Hmmmm, anyone besides me sense a potential business opportunity?

Billions
03-05-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm happy with my machines, I'm able to do what I want with them (well, the one that's not back in Texas right now, anyway!), so I'm not really worried about what other people think on Amazon. People interested in the Carvewright will not stop at the Amazon reviews.

Truthfully, the Carvewright is a finicky machine that is in need of constant cleaning, maintenance and care. It's not for everyone. Like I said, I find it hard to believe that someone truly interested in a Carvewright would stop reading about the machine at the Amazon review section, so I'm not really concerned about what's written there. They'll come on this forum and see a huge amount of support that (you gotta admit) tends to swing the other way - Loving and protective of the Carvewright, and able to overlook having to constantly maintain the machine, have extra parts on hand for fixing and repairing the machine, and delve into the forums for what 'error 238' means, or how to stop a board read error.

It's not always like the video we've all seen where we're told it's as easy as "insert your board, crank down until it clicks three times, and pull the lock lever." That introduction video might put people into the mindset that it's a simple-to-maintain device, and when they find it requires more, they may find themselves frustrated. I will not blame them for that.

The saying 'buyer beware' comes to mind - but in this case, I hope the smart buyers will apply that saying to the review section on Amazon. I'm sure many prospective buyers will do more research beyond Amazon's review section. Focusing on quality control and good customer service, which I would say LHR has been trying to do, is the way to eventually overcome and negate what a bunch of reviews on Amazon say.

As for the Shopbot, of course that line is more serious than the Carvewright, no denying that - the 'seriousness' starts at the price! The entry level 'Buddy' is over $7500 (You know you've looked into it too!). So unless you're prepared to drop three times the price, it's odd to compare them directly. Potential customers know that.

luckettg
03-05-2009, 06:12 PM
If not for the "learning" struggle with the CW I would never have taken the dive into graphic art and all that it entails...which is way more than I can grasp. This machine has been a lot of fun to tinker with and pushed me to learn different technologies. I am seriously thinking of moving up to the ShopBots level but am in no hurry. Lots to learn with the CW first.

I agree completely that the Amazon reviews will not drive away anyone really serious about a low end carving machine. You should hear some of the really nutty things people say about the KitchenAid Stand Mixers and those are a mature, well developed product and market. It does not stop any real cooks from lusting after one and getting one or more units. The next step from them is to go to commercial units costing many times more. Just like the CW and the ShopBot.

mtylerfl
03-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Hello,

Reviews are difficult to sort out at times. When I'm shopping online, I do read reviews and can be influenced by what they say. Like most folks, if I see a lot of bad reviews and not a lot of good reviews, I tend to shy away from the product.

I admit it is pretty easy for me (and most of us who have had our machines for awhile) to read some of the reviews and immediately be able to size-up the ridiculous or unreasonable. But, if we were new shoppers, we would have no idea whether a reported problem was the norm or not, or if it was a "pilot error" or not.

We can help matters by giving our honest feedback in the form of reviews, or comments to existing reviews, or both. Perhaps that will give a more fair and balanced picture to the fellow or lady who is considering purchasing a machine. At least they'll have more equitable information to base a decision upon.

When I reported my outstanding experience with both of my machines, I was actually accused of being a "company plant" by someone who commented on my personal review! It was honest and accurate, but it is so positive that some folks may have found it hard to believe, even though it's absolutely true.

I've talked to many people over the last 2 years about their machines, and have answered a few hundred questions/problems by email, PM's and phone. Very, very rarely have I encountered an issue that was not actually caused by the user in one way or another. I think that speaks very well of the machine, but also makes it very evident that some people have trouble understanding how to properly use and care for their machines.

I am super-glad that there is so much more in the way of resources available to owners of the machine now. Practically every question has been covered (ad infinitum) on this forum, and has become a treasure of a resource, thanks to everyone here willing to help each other.

The new manual and instructional video compilation will go a l-o-n-g way to help users even more. Education and open communication is vital for users of these machines (especially the new user), and everyone has worked very hard to make numerous resources available. The effort never stops -as time goes on, more resources will be added.

There is little doubt that the CarveWright machine has made a permanent change in the woodworking arena, and we haven't even seen "the scratch on the surface" yet. I see a very, very bright and enjoyable future for woodworkers and for CarveWright.

bowfingers
03-05-2009, 08:48 PM
I posted my review, I purchased my machine from Amazon almost a year ago. I have purchased quite a few thins from Amazon but this is the first review I have ever written.

Mike Witt
03-05-2009, 09:34 PM
After reading some of the trash on Amazon it makes me wonder how some folks at those intelligence levels can write those kind of reviews.
It's quite obvious that they haven't read the operating instructions or could not comprehend what they read, these people would have problems with a tape measure and or a square.
I also read the forums for a couple months before taking the plunge, and I think that this little machine is as my mom would say " The Cats meow ".
I purchased from Jason and was told that if I had any problems just give him a call, Well I've yet to take him up on that offer, not to say that my machine hasn't had me scratch my head a couple times but other than forcing the issue or crying like a little kid I just settle down, retrace my steps and with the help of the forum and maybe a little snort of " Glenlivet " for the nerves
my experience has been a totally satisfing journey thus far.
All that said it's time to clean up " Bessie " and get her ready for another
woodcarving adventure.

Keep them chips a flyin

Mike