PDA

View Full Version : New 60 degree bit compatibility

Rocky
03-04-2009, 12:21 PM
I bought a new 60 degree bit for my CW. Now I'm wondering if it will work with my CW since the CW manual states that "...assemble the bit so that the face of the adapter is 1/8" from the bottom of the cutting surface...". On my new bit, the bottom of the cutting surface is about 1/2" from the adapter face. Has anyone else run into this situation with replacement bits? Is that 1/8" critical to CW working properly?

Thanks,

LittleRedWoodshop
03-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Is that a bit that comes from CarveWright?

DocWheeler
03-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Rocky,

If that is a picture of your bit, it is fine.
The 1/8" is between the adapter and the bigger (painted) part of the bit.

Looks like I fat-fingered the title, sorry!

mtylerfl
03-04-2009, 01:05 PM
I looked at Rocky's bit, then I looked at both my 60° bits from CarveWright.

Quite a difference in configuration (longer, heavier). I honestly don't know if there would be an issue with Rocky's bit, or not. It certainly has lot of extra material on it, making it impossible to have the specified 1/8" gap between the bottom of the cutting edge and the face of the adaptor.

See the comparison photo below...

Digitalwoodshop
03-04-2009, 01:05 PM
My opinion is that it will work Just Fine..... No difference in the cutting.

What they don't want is the bit not close to the bit holder, like having too much shaft showing below the bit holder.

AL

mtylerfl
03-04-2009, 01:12 PM
I think it might be alright too - even with the added weight and length. However, I'll let Rocky be the tester for that! I like the shorter configuration of my CW bits - possibly less bit runout?

Rocky
03-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Thanks for your feedback, folks. I bought the bit because it has 3 flutes, which I thought might make for a cleaner carve. For the most part, I try to adhere to CarveWright's "rules of the road", but couldn't see any harm in using a non-CW bit.

Thanks,

Router-Jim
03-04-2009, 03:44 PM
You'll be fine, just be sure your set screws aren't sticking out too far.

Digitalwoodshop
03-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Three Flute? Wow..... Does that mean we were using Low Quality 2 Flute bits..... Snicker....

In my opinion LHR supplies Quality Bits and I have never had a problem with them....

And with a combined 800 and 500 plus carving hours I am qualified to make that statement.

Snicker.....

AL

MikeMcCoy
03-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Three Flute? Wow..... Does that mean we were using Low Quality 2 Flute bits..... Snicker....

In my opinion LHR supplies Quality Bits and I have never had a problem with them....

And with a combined 800 and 500 plus carving hours I am qualified to make that statement.

Snicker.....

AL

All that snickering makes you sound like an old Navy Chief. :D

Digitalwoodshop
03-04-2009, 08:28 PM
All that snickering makes you sound like an old Navy Chief. :D

A little sarcasm about Carving bit quality from another post today.

AL

Rocky
03-05-2009, 05:58 AM

Snicker.....

AL

Your experience with the CW certainly trumps mine, and I appreciate your comments. However, I was disappointed with the 60 degree bit that came with my CW. After carving 8 or 9 signs (two of them using Corian), the tip (about 1/16") broke off my 60 degree bit.

Digitalwoodshop
03-05-2009, 09:10 AM
I broke my tip on my V60 by dropping it inside the machine during bit change and it hit the cross rod. I place a piece of wood in the machine with a rope on it so I remember to remove it when using narrow wood at bit change.

My comment should have been posted in the Carving Bit Thread.... It was not directed at you but a sarcasm about bit quality posted in another thread by a new user.

AL