PDA

View Full Version : Finally got to carve

want2b
03-04-2009, 06:10 AM
Seems like something always keeps me away but with the cold + a snowstorm I got some shop time. Posting a jewelry box for my wife and will post a plaque for a granddaughter after it gets a finish. Used the Optimal setting for the first time on the plaque, wow! went from a 2 hour on best to almost 5 hours but there was so little cleanup, maybe 30 seconds with a dremel/brush. Top of the box is a lilttle busy but she loves ocean life and love the box. The sea horse isn't the best, probably would look better if I didn't set as high, set everything to the same height and didn't do a close look.
Box is made from Sapele mahogany with a lacquer finish. As you can see I made the top, front & back from one piece of wood and the sides from another.
Rick H.

pine acres woodshop
03-04-2009, 06:15 AM
Nicely done, looks great.

Mark

FINGERS
03-04-2009, 07:46 AM
nice work, don't it make you feel good when something you made can make you say WOW I made that , after 3 years it still does it to me, but lately I walk in to my shop and go to my machine with cup of joe in hand and sit next to it trying to think of something to carve yes after 3 years I have " CARVERS BLOCK" so it's nice to see new thing's on this forum.

Icutone2
03-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Great Job! Really looks good thanks for showing it.

mtylerfl
03-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Great work! I especially like the recessed panels of the box sides with the shells!

LollyWood
03-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Rick,

Your design is Lovely, and the layout is great. If your ok w/ it, I would like to hijack the MPCs.I have 2 nieces (twins :rolleyes:) that love anything "ocean" and this would make great B-day presents. Thanks for posting them Sir.

want2b
03-04-2009, 01:06 PM
The positive feedback is very much appreciated, after seeing all the beautiful projects shared here it makes me hesitant to display my attemps. But I then think of all the sharing and help everyone here is ready to give freely and I realise I want to contribute whatever I can. Anything I post is always available for use and if I only post a pic or mpc and somebody wants another format just let me know.
Thanks again,
Rick