PDA

View Full Version : Carving bit variations??

Rick P
03-03-2009, 07:21 PM
I just received a carving bit that I bought from Amazon and compared it to the bit that came with my machine. I noticed the spiral cutting edges are different on the Amazon bit...the spiral is tighter which seems to be a better design...more cutting edge to do the work

Has anyone else seen differences in the spiral design of the carving bits??

Does CW supply a low quality carving bit with their machines as a way to keep costs down?

Has anyone used one of the PreciseBits carving bits ??

AskBud
03-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Someone pointed to this link a while ago. I have not tried them. They appear to be 4 Flutes rather than three.

It states they work on CW-CC.
http://precisebits.com/products/carbidebits/taperedcarve250b4f.asp
AskBud

Dan-Woodman
03-03-2009, 09:39 PM
CW has apparently updated ther 3- flute bit. I noticed mine looks a little different,but it cuts fine.
I'm not sure if presice bits has a 3- flute. The one they have been advertising is a 4- flute.
later Daniel

Rick P
03-03-2009, 11:14 PM
I have read the specs on the precisebit 4-flute carving bit and it appears to be a very good bit. The replacement QC that I just received causes so much vibration that my original carving bit is cutting very poorly. I am going to ask LHR to send me one of the new modified QCs. Apparently they have learned to make the modification that reduces the vibration and makes the QC better balanced. At 20,000 RPM being balanced is very important, especially for bits like the carving bit or the 1/8" cutting bit.

pine acres woodshop
03-04-2009, 05:41 AM
I puchased two of the cutting bits from Amazon, one bit lasted about a 1/2" long cut and it flew into pieces. The cut was 1/4" deep in Maple, so I don't know if it's any better. The way the bit came apart was like it was brittle. So I would keep an eye on it while you are cutting.

Mark