PDA

View Full Version : Cutting out large letters

Rick P
03-02-2009, 01:02 AM
I want to cut out large letters, at least 10" tall from a 12" wide board that could be 70" long. The letters are WELCOME. I am going to attach the letters
individually to curved wooden strips to make a welcome sign that is arched.

The board will be 3/4" thick. Do I attach a 1/4" carrier board the EXACT same size as the cutout board to the bottom of the cutout board?
Then use the CutOut option in Designer...the one that leaves tabs?

If so, what's the best way to attach a carrier board? Hot melt glue??

Rick P

bjbethke
03-02-2009, 07:08 AM
I want to cut out large letters, at least 10" tall from a 12" wide board that could be 70" long. The letters are WELCOME. I am going to attach the letters
individually to curved wooden strips to make a welcome sign that is arched.

The board will be 3/4" thick. Do I attach a 1/4" carrier board the EXACT same size as the cutout board to the bottom of the cutout board?
Then use the CutOut option in Designer...the one that leaves tabs?

If so, what's the best way to attach a carrier board? Hot melt glue??

Rick P
If you are going to cut your letters out individually, I do not see a reason to use a one by twelve foot board six feet long. The weight of that board needs out feed rollers and is harder on your machine. You do not need a carrier board or sled for this project. I would use two or three shorter boards. You will have tabs on each letter.

Rick P
03-02-2009, 08:43 AM
BUT -
As the bit cuts through the board won't it cut into the sandpaper-like drive belt, if there is no carrier board?

Rick P
03-02-2009, 08:45 AM
OH - and about the length - I have other supports that take care of the weight problem of a 70" long board.

pkunk
03-02-2009, 08:51 AM
The bit cuts between the belts. No worries!:)

bjbethke
03-02-2009, 09:06 AM
BUT -
As the bit cuts through the board won't it cut into the sandpaper-like drive belt, if there is no carrier board?
The cutting head (Z Truck) only moves in the Y and Z axis (between the sandpaper belts). The board is moved under the Z truck in the X axis.

Rick P
03-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Ohhhhh ... now I get it !!! Thank you !!!

mtylerfl
03-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Ohhhhh ... now I get it !!! Thank you !!!

Funny how many folks worry about cut out procedures hitting the traction belts:)

I recall I did too when I first got my machine - that is until I observed that it is impossible! I've got to figure out a way to communicate that in a Tips & Tricks, somehow.;)